Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 sensors with another maker's console?  (Read 10534 times)

SBassaw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 sensors with another maker's console?
« on: August 28, 2010, 03:30:16 AM »

Hello!
I purchased the DS7000 along with a lot of window/ door sensors and motion sensors. I plan on installing 8 sensors on windows, 2 on doors, and 3 motion sensors with my setup. By looking at the keypad and reading the forums, it seems that the system is very basic. There is no arm/ disarm password or anything like that. Since the console is so cheap ($30 for scratch/ dent model) I was wondering if I could just not use the included console but use another maker's console that was a bit more sophisticated? I've seen a few on eBay that seem to have better security measures. With the DS7000, isn't it super easy for an intruder to just hit disarm on the main console and stop the alarm?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X-10 sensors with another maker's console?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:48 PM »

With the DS7000, isn't it super easy for an intruder to just hit disarm on the main console and stop the alarm?

Your PS561 Console (DS7000) has a disarm? No... actually there isn't a disarm button to hit (see attached image). I would guess most people hide the console away.... as the it is controlled using remotes [only].
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:29:22 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »

Yep there is but because of the open environment here for security reasons I ain't saying.  :'

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:59:01 PM »

Lets not over complicate this. The console can be disarmed by unplugging it and ripping out the battery. But how many "casual" thiefs are going to stick around long enough to do that ?? And that, the is the point of a $50 system. If you want ADT/Wells Fargo level security, you have to pay for it.

As far as using the sensors on other systems: very unlikely. They transmit on 310MHz with a propriety security code. Other brand consoles will (1) not receive them or (2) will not understand them.

Tom J was your answer intended to be helpful?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:13:10 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:09:44 PM »

..... If you want ADT/Wells Fargo level security, you have to pay for it.

My Dad was a cop. He used to say: We only put locks on our doors... to help keep honest people... honest.

The same can be said about alarms. Every little thing we do... alters the risks a little bit. All we can do is lower the risks of it happening to us. We can't STOP robbery. Alarms... don't prevent a break-in or fire. Alarms merely report.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:17:32 PM by Dave_x10_L »

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »

Very correct, as usual, Dave.  Just one thing to add... 

Every house in a neighborhood has about the same things to steal...  So a crook either targets those that are really tempting, like the BMW in front and 55 inch LCD TV showing through the front window, or the easier house.  No dogs, no alarms, open doors, unable to be seen by neighbors, etc...
>!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »

Every house in a neighborhood has about the same things to steal...  So a crook either targets those that are really tempting, like the BMW in front and 55 inch LCD TV showing through the front window, or the easier house.  No dogs, no alarms, open doors, unable to be seen by neighbors, etc...

Like the story of the guys in the forest... being chased by a bear.... you don't need to run faster than the bear. Just out run the other guys. Good security practices... proability work 90% of the time. I always hope my locks, lights, alarm stickers, and visible cameras will scare away most would be intruders. Then... [worst case]... if they do break in maybe the alarm sirens will scare them away (before they go deaf).

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »

Like the story of the guys in the forest... being chased by a bear.... you don't need to run faster than the bear. Just out run the other guys.

I love that quote.  :)

I seem to recall a commercial where the two campers are surprised by a bear.  They look at each other and then one grabs a bottle of honey and covers the other one with it, and then takes off!   :)

20 years ago when I was getting my first hardwired alarm system, you had to register it with the local PD. The cops came by and told me to be sure and put that "Protected By" sign in the yard!

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you always want to give the thief a good reason to hit your neighbor's house!"   
 :'

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »

20 years ago when I was getting my first hardwired alarm system, you had to register it with the local PD. The cops came by and told me to be sure and put that "Protected By" sign in the yard!

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you always want to give the thief a good reason to hit your neighbor's house!"   

H-m-m-m  maybe the X10 decals ARE worth $10.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »

I love my neighbors... they really are like family. But yes... I openly admit that I try to deter intruders away from my house.. knowing it puts the neighbors at the top of the "rob" list.

When I was single.... I used to comment about cleaning my apartment. I would say: I'd spend the entire day dusting, scrubbing, and cleaning.... then have to turn around just six months later... and do it again. Although "choirs" can be fun to joke about.... crime prevention is one of those daily tasks or reoccurring processes. Locking doors, setting alarms, replacing burnt out bulbs, arranging to have mail and papers picked-up when you can't be there.

If we all do our part... it really will help. Most burglars are someones drug addled teenage kid. I try my best to not be the one responsible for making it easy for the intruder to ruin my day... and his life.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 08:48:46 PM »

H-m-m-m  maybe the X10 decals ARE worth $10.

I also use a "Voice warning system". It can be seen/heard in a BVC YouTube video (near the end) or on this Video (with the camera view as well). More info is here at this Page.

And..... I recently BLOGGED about using Cameras as way to deter crime.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:50:37 PM by Dave_x10_L »

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »

Lets not over complicate this. The console can be disarmed by unplugging it and ripping out the battery. But how many "casual" thiefs are going to stick around long enough to do that ?? And that, the is the point of a $50 system. If you want ADT/Wells Fargo level security, you have to pay for it.

As far as using the sensors on other systems: very unlikely. They transmit on 310MHz with a propriety security code. Other brand consoles will (1) not receive them or (2) will not understand them.

Tom J was your answer intended to be helpful?

I'll let you make that call.  rofl  ;D

Tom j.

ultradianguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »

Hi - No one but the second poster actually responded to this original question.  Does that mean everyone agrees that the DS10a and MS10 sensors cannot be used with any other console?  Such as maybe the Securlinc?

Thanks,
Ultradianguy

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »

I would say an extremely rare chance an X10 security sensor would work with any other manufacturers systems. Except the now discontinued Radio Shack 49-1000 system made by X10 as an OEM product.

I can say NO for the SecurLinc. It uses 315 MHz. RF and all of X10s are 310 MHz.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.