Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PR511 only one flood light comes on?  (Read 6611 times)

coke

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PR511 only one flood light comes on?
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »

I've had this unit for several years working without any problems but in the past couple of days only one of the two floodlights come on. 

Today I replaced both of them with two new 75W Halogen lamps and still the same lamp fails to come on. 

Are these lamps switched on in parallel ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated ... or aim me to a schematic. 
There doesn't seem to be much help in this area that I've been able to locate.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: PR511 only one flood light comes on?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »

I've had this unit for several years working without any problems but in the past couple of days only one of the two floodlights come on. 

So... what changed? Could you have a new TV, PC, cell phone (or other small device) charger, plugged in that is making too much noise... or absorbing the X10 PLC signal?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:13:32 PM »

I would guess at corrosion on the seating pad for the lamp base.

I don't think an X10 signal problem would cause just one of the two lamps in the same unit to fail - sounds more like the electric forgot where to go :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:43:09 PM »

As I recall, the two lamp fixtures are connected together with wire nuts.  Perhaps one of those connections has loosened up with time and corrosion.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

coke

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:42:58 AM »

Thanks for the early replies ... and I hate to confess that I answered part of my question digging down to where you contact X10 support folks.  They show the A/C wiring layout on that web page. 

I do see now that the two A/C sockets for the lamp bases are to be wired together in parallel and they were not intended to be activated by separate circuits power wise.  So yes, the A/C power for that one bulb is getting lost along the way ... either the wire nut or perhaps more worrisome the socket in the lamp holder fixture. 

This has been a nice little alarm system.  Aside from activating the floods over the driveway I had it set so that after dark it sent a signal back to activate a lamp module on the other side of the house. 

I'll take that circuit down and inspect the connections.  If it does turn out to be a defective socket I'm just hoping it's replaceable.  When I can get it all checked out again I'll post back.  Somebody might find it useful. 

Regards,  coke

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »

I'm embarrassed to admit that early on, I thought one of the sockets in my PR511 wasn't working.  The bulb felt tight in the socket, etc.  It turned out that those weather gasgets you slip around the bulb base were not slid far enough up the bulb and when it felt tight, it was just the resistance of the gasget I was feeling, and the bulb was no where near seating properly.   B:(
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »

I would guess at corrosion on the seating pad for the lamp base.

I don't think an X10 signal problem would cause just one of the two lamps in the same unit to fail - sounds more like the electric forgot where to go :)

Your so right! I misread the post... and thought the OP was referring one (of two each) PR511 unit(s).

I have one floodlight (one... of the several floodlights I use) that because of its placement (it was there when I bought the home) can't point down at a proper angle.... which would keep the screw-in part of the base of the unit dryer. I've had to replace the socket part a couple times.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

coke

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »

Looks like I've got a defective socket that's the culprit.  Today I looked inside a new lamp socket that was in a security lighting setup and noted that the little brass tab down inside the socket sticks up a bit, IE, not mashed all the way down like mine had become in the problem socket.  It wasn't corroded. apparently just pressed a bit too far down in the socket.  But I can't explain why that might have happened so I expect I best replace the socket and be done with the problem for good. 

I used small needle nose pliers to gently pull the little tab back up and then and then I screwed the lamp back into the socket.  After I restored the AC both lamps are working again as they should.  I don't really trust this as a permanent fix though. 

Can those sockets be picked up at Home Deport or Lowe's or must I find an electrical supply store for a replacement?

coke 

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »

I've seen them at places like Home Depot etc...
They should be replaceable with any standard flood socket.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 06:11:37 AM »

Sometimes you can bend the center tab back up. Though new maybe the best choice.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.