Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thinking of buying  (Read 4531 times)

BR@VO

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Thinking of buying
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:47:08 AM »

Hi all I was thinking of buying the 29 piece home security set up and was looking for feed back on it good bad or other ?????  Also  is there any way to tweak the motion sensors so I can be able to keep my 2 dog's in side while away at work ?  and do I need to use the loud alarm or is there a way I can use an external strobe on the house since I only work about a min. away from home and pd response is fast where I live??  Any thoughts and help would be great.  thanks in advance

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Thinking of buying
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »

Hi all I was thinking of buying the 29 piece home security set up and was looking for feed back on it good bad or other ?????  Also  is there any way to tweak the motion sensors so I can be able to keep my 2 dog's in side while away at work ?  and do I need to use the loud alarm or is there a way I can use an external strobe on the house since I only work about a min. away from home and pd response is fast where I live??  Any thoughts and help would be great.  thanks in advance
Well, it's not an ADT or Honeywell, but is an OK system for the price.
Careful mounting/aiming of the motion sensors, or using tape to mask off small portons of the sensor window, is the only "tweeking" you can do to the motion sensors.
You do not have to use the alarm horn. It is a plug-in unit that is triggered on by the console through powerline signals. The console will also turn on the house code unit code it is set to, so a 120V strobe plugged into an Appliance Module and set to the same HCUC could be activated by the console. Also, somewhere on the forum is a hack to add a relay to the alarm horn which could be used to activate a strobe.

This might help:
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ds7000-om.pdf
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

BR@VO

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »

Well, it's not an ADT or Honeywell, but is an OK system for the price.
Careful mounting/aiming of the motion sensors, or using tape to mask off small portions of the sensor window, is the only "tweaking" you can do to the motion sensors.
You do not have to use the alarm horn. It is a plug-in unit that is triggered on by the console through power line signals. The console will also turn on the house code unit code it is set to, so a 120V strobe plugged into an Appliance Module and set to the same HCUC could be activated by the console. Also, somewhere on the forum is a hack to add a relay to the alarm horn which could be used to activate a strobe.

This might help:
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ds7000-om.pdf

First off thanks for the input Dave.  When you say it's an ok system for the price does that mean it ain't all that great and I will be pulling my hair out with it on a constant basis or ??? I am just looking for a decent wireless system with min of 20 door/window contacts and a couple motion sensors that won't break the bank and doesn't require a contract with an alarm company to monitor it since I work so close to home.  On the motion sensors is it known if the IR beam from the motion sensors comes out from the unit on a straight plain angle from the units or if at a degree angle what degree ?  One of the online chat tech's stated I could flip the IR unit up side down, I am not sure how this would work if at all? unless there was an degree angle involved and flipping it over puts the angle of the beam at an upward angle away from my dog's on the floor which would negate the straight plain angle from the IR unit theory. I do want to thank you for that pdf link that was the firs thing I d/l from X10 when I started looking but I noticed it is lacking tech. specs's that would be helpful. the relay idea from the power horn to a strobe I believe would be a simple hack to do and I might need to try and find that hack on the forum.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »

The DS7000 can only have any combination of 16 motion or Door/Window sensors.
You can wire a few magnetic switches to a Door/Window sensor for more than one to a sensor.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Protector_Plus_Wireless_Voice_Dialer_Security_System
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Security
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:05:51 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.