Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i have an idea but dont know how to implement it  (Read 5426 times)

allbreeds

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
i have an idea but dont know how to implement it
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:27 AM »

Hello there im from Australia (240v) if that matters.What i want to do is automate my orchid growing area.
Can i with a X10 system do the following and if so what parts would i need?
Automate all functions via computer
1. a humidistat when reaches a certain humidity fans come on then turn off when humidity is optimal
2. a thermostat when temp reaches a temp fans come on heater turns off and vice versa
3. lights to come on at specific times

Ive looked at the humidistats and temp controllers on some sites and the prices make my project not feasible.
In a nutshell i want my growing area to be set and forget to an extent so all things are run via a computer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: i have an idea but dont know how to implement it
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »

Well the first thing you would need is a temperature and humidity sensor, that made a contact closure when they hit your selected setting.  That is 3rd party stuff, which I am sure you could locate.  (With a little enginuity, a standard thermostat could probably be used for the temperature setting.)

X10 could take that contact closure via either an alarm door/window sensor, or a powerflash module and send an X10 command.  Then the sky's the limit once that X10 command is sent - You could use a computer and ActiveHome Pro to start timers, trip a sequence of events, etc...  You could simply trigger an appliance module for a heater or a fan directly (although not using an alarm door/window sensor - they would require ActiveHome Pro and a CM15A to decode, I believe)

I purposely did not use our part numbers because I believe the 240v ones have different part numbers, but you would just need a module that takes an external closure (sent by your sensors) and turned that into an X10 command.

By the way, there are already software packages that use internet weather reports to send X10 commands via the CM15A based on the temperature as reported on the web...  So for example, when the weather is reported over 80 degrees F, it would turn on the fan...

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:28:20 AM by nybuck »
>!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »

search out posts by user: el34

he does all this with dallas 1 wire systems
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »

Plus allbreeds needs to know US X10 stuff cannot be used in due to the different voltages.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »

search out posts by user: el34

he does all this with dallas 1 wire systems

that little cheap USB Temp Sensor I used - also came in a Temp/Humidity combination.

You'd have a PC - with that sensor plugged into one USB port, then your CM15 plugged into another.
You'd have to write the software yourself, I think.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.