Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deceptive?  (Read 13295 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Deceptive?
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »

(Dave steps up on soap box.)

I just opened my daily spam from X10 and see the two wireless Night Watch cameras for $50, with a third for $10 more. And I notice the ad line "WOW Monitor both camera feeds LIVE on your existing TV."

The immediate implication for me was; I could see both images at the same time. Since they are wireless I figured X10 was including two receivers, but then wondered how they would accomplish the split screen.

No, not two receives,  Only one receiver and so only one image on the TV at a time.

Am I the only person who thinks the wording implies a simultaneous multi camera view?

I guess one has to perform a political style parsing of X10 ads to understand what they are saying. I feel sorry for newbies who do not understand how the wireless cameras work. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Deceptive?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »

That ONE reason I never subscribed to any e-mails from X10.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »

Also all but the TM751s part number ends in an "SD".
Certified like new.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »

I would not buy anything "Certified as New".  That's about as "snake oil" that X10's done.   Betcha they just repackaged the returns.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »

Betcha they just repackaged the returns.
That is a safe bet! I just wonder if they are being tested before repackaging.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »

Who knows, but the money is on NO.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »

(Dave steps up on soap box.)

.... And I notice the ad line "WOW Monitor both camera feeds LIVE on your existing TV."

Am I the only person who thinks the wording implies a simultaneous multi camera view?

I have monitored all my camera views from my TV for years now. And I have mentioned it several times in various posts. I have even explained in detail how I do it. Even posted video of one camera automatically displaying. No one has ever asked if the camera views were simultaneous (that I recall). They aren't!

I don't think the ad was intended to be deceptive. I know I certainly didn't mean to deceive anyone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »

Dave_x10_L;
Problem could be a new user that has not seen any of the posts here, not knowing only one camera is active at a time.

The ad doesn't say more than one or one only at a time. So the buyer has to know the facts before choosing.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »

Dave_x10_L;
Problem could be a new user that has not seen any of the posts here....

I know what you mean. When I was new to X10..... I bought extra parts I didn't need, and overlooked parts I would need. Now after years of X10 experience... I only buy extra parts I may never need.

I know I've posted several times that X10 isn't plug and play. maybe a "X10 tutoral and shopping guide [link]" could be added in each order confirmation email. Otherwise... I think it would be silly to kill business with wonky lawyer language in the ad's.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »

I don't think the ad was intended to be deceptive.
Yes I agree, although the forum has had numerous questions about how to get 2, 3, 4, etc cameras video on the screen,  and when you dissect the user's question you get the understanding that the new user thought they could get four "live" images. X10 knows of this confusion and the confusion is exacerbated by the Vangard ad showing four images on screen. But X10 elects to ignore it. They could side step the issue by simply saying something like "only one "live" camera can be viewed at a time in this system".

I would like to see a semi "technical" description of how the system works, perhaps as a link on the "SETUP IN FIVE MINUTES" ad page.

I dunno, maybe confused/mad new users aren't as much of a problem as I assume.  ???

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »

If not deceptive, I do think the X10 site exemplifies the case for "Caveat Emptor"  ;D

I consider them optimistic and I value forums like this so we can get the real scoop.
If you look at the BBB stats:

"BBB processed a total of 35 complaints about X10.com in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 35 complaints closed in 36 months, 17 were closed in the last year."

I guess you could build a case for deceptive.
maybe.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »

I would like to see a semi "technical" description of how the system works....

Yes... other Sites I have purchased unrelated products from generally do have specs and/or technical data. But... I am far less willing to worry about what fine print the lawyers would have everyone use... than expecting buyers to do their own home work. I know in the current age of victimization... it may sound silly to say "buyer beware". But if we all start worrying about how individuals spend their money.. when does money no longer belong to individuals?

Sure errors will be made. And customers will sometimes return products... that X10 will apparently then resell for cheap (better for me).

But the forum is here. And anyone with more time than money can spend some time here.... and learn as much as any user will likely ever need to know. And the forum is free.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:48:08 PM by Dave_x10_L »

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:09 PM »

Betcha they just repackaged the returns.
That is a safe bet! I just wonder if they are being tested before repackaging.
Yeah, as they have admitted, they repackaged the returns.... In sandwich bags!   :-[

I got some scratched units, some missing parts, but all working except one camera... And X10 sent me a new camera (still in the mail as of this posting) without a hassle.

I guess I got what I paid for, but I would pay a few extra dollars, and let me lose the instructions and add the scratches - Thank you.   ;D

Some of the certified as new deals are excellent, and I would take the chance on them - but that "$5 less for certified as new" sale they had last week...  Not so much!   :'
>!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »

...Now after years of X10 experience... I only buy extra parts I may never need...
rofl
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »

If not deceptive, I do think the X10 site exemplifies the case for "Caveat Emptor"...
They do tend to present many products as ready to use out of the box, which they rarely are, with no mention or links to trouble shooting tips other than this forum.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.