Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CM11a cable  (Read 21971 times)

MichaelHlubb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: CM11a cable
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »

an Important note here!
RJ-11 / RJ-14 your standard telephone cord, typically use from phone to wall jack same size connector, but one is a single line 2 pins used while  the other is a two line four pins used.
RJ-45 standard 8 pin, used for various connections, ethernet being the one we're most used to.

While it's true that a RJ-11 or RJ-14 plug will fit inside a RJ-45 jack. I do NOT like to see it done. looking at the RJ-45 jack, you will see the two outside pins that will not be used with the smaller RJ11/14 plug.
Now look at that plug, see the outside square shape? the two corners are going to bend the outside pins of the RJ-45 jack, likely to a point where they will no longer work, as in broken,  forever.
( as an aside, where I've seen this is when a computer gets hooked up as someone's home by someone who doesn't know which connectors go where, and they think the ethernet connecor is for the phone line, it'll fit, but the network card is not likely to work afterwards.

With that said, IF the two outside pins on the RJ-45 are never used for anything, then go ahead and plug in the RJ11/14. Better to make a cable for that device connection.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »

A 4P4C will allow up to 4 Conductors,  it is popularly, but incorrectly, called RJ22, RJ10, or RJ9. It is also commonly referred to as a "Handset Connector" because of the most popular usage for the connector. This handset connector is actually not a Registered Jack at all, since it was never intended to connect directly to the telephone service lines.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:05:21 PM by Brandt »

Brandt

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »

Do CM11a's also have 4p4c jacks or only the HD11a?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 02:14:01 PM »

My CM11A has a 4p4c.

Brandt

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »

Thanks. I got some CM11a's coming my way to replace my failed HD11a. Going to a store to see if they got couplers/cables with 4p4c..or just the plugs so I can crimp my own..

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »

I hope you find some premade.

I have seen 4p4c plugs and a compatible crimper on a few web sites.
Some of the 6p6c crimpers may not work with the 4p4c connectors.

Brandt

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »

Well, I found a handset cable coupler and some 4p4c plugs at Frys....Hopefully the crimper I have can handle 4p4c...never tried those before

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

Glad you found them and hope your cripmer works.

Brandt

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »

ok the crimper kinda worked. I had to do it a couple times as the 4p4c is smaller and didn't fit in there tightly. Well now that my extension cord is ran that I crimped I'm getting the weird invalid status responses that I saw when I thought my HD11a was failing. Now that I know that means bad/failing cable I can easily fix it.

I noticed when looking at the CM11a 4p4c plug with the clip down, that the yellow was on the right. I didn't notice this until after I crimped my cable by looking at a standard telephone cable with yellow on the left. I don't think it makes a difference because I just crimped a straight through cable with yellow on the left on both ends...or does it?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Yeah I noticed the yellow wire switches sides on opposite ends of a standard telephone cable. Also the second time around I was unable to crimp the 4p4c with my standard telephone crimper...  :(

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:56:48 PM by Brandt »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 07:03:20 PM »

I believe you are correct. It switches sides.

Brandt

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »

I looked at the links you posted in this old thread: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=19206.0

And the links denote a straight through cable, although did some reading and people say store bought handset cables have worked for them which are usually crossover.

I shouldn't have to be going any crossover type cable, because that should all be handled by the stock CM11a cable. So I would think a straight cable would work...What about the coupler? I hope that is not doing any crossover...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 06:14:11 AM »

Since I don't have any 4P4C jacks or plugs. I physically observed a 6P6C and my CM11A Cable. It looks like to keep the signals in the proper order.
The extension cable should have the colors matching. When the plugs are held together. Like you where trying to connect them to each other with the locking tabs up. I believe that is a standard phone wiring scheme. That is probably why the users saying they used a headphone cable worked.

An on line search found cross over and straight 4P4C couplers. Maybe a meter with real small diameter leads could check continuity from side to side on the coupler.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:53:00 AM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »

I popped the coupler open and found that by looking into the jack from either side, black will be on the left, so the black wire from the CM11a cable and the black wire from the extension cable should NOT mirror each other when put head to head in this case. The extension cable should have the black wire on the left with the clip facing down on both ends.

I will need to run back to Fry's and get more 4p4c plugs as I went through all 6 trying to get it to work  :(

I should also pick up the proper crimper there too  :'

Brandt

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 01:12:26 AM »

Ok, got more 4p4c plugs, got a good Paladin Tools crimper that can do 4p, 6p, and 8p. I made good crimps on both ends. Tested the continuity with a DMM. It couldn't see the CM11a. I clipped off one end and reversed the wires. crimped again. It still couldn't see the CM11a. I noticed when testing the resistance that there was slight resistance in the cable and I am using an FTDI USB to Serial converter. Maybe it just doesn't have enough power to get the signal down the lines...?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 01:15:16 AM »

Ok, got more 4p4c plugs, got a good Paladin Tools crimper that can do 4p, 6p, and 8p. I made good crimps on both ends. Tested the continuity with a DMM. It couldn't see the CM11a. I clipped off one end and reversed the wires. crimped again. It still couldn't see the CM11a. I noticed when testing the resistance that there was slight resistance in the cable and I am using an FTDI USB to Serial converter. Maybe it just doesn't have enough power to get the signal down the lines...?

Hate to waste plugs and cable, but maybe make a shorter cable and test with that first, then go for the long distance?
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.