Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP 3.271 - 3 Questions  (Read 3227 times)

imcmole

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP 3.271 - 3 Questions
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:54 PM »

Hi All: Have been playing with my AHP bundle (with macros) for about 6 weeks and am slowly getting things up and running. I have 3 questions at this point.

(1)I have garage lights on a wall switch A6 that turn on when motion is detected by an eagle eye that fires A6 On. I only really need this feature during the evening hours, so would like to figure out how to do this: "If" it is after dusk and before dawn -and- the motion fires A6 On, "then" turn A6 on. Any ideas on how to accomplish?

(2) I have 3 dusk to dawn timers that are very unreliable. Front porch, back porch, and kitchen sink light. They are all leviton wall switches and I have them coded as appliance modules to get over the soft start hump previously reported. They work PERFECTLY independent of any timers. I have the timers stored to the cm15 interface, and have them on repeat. I found a work around to get them to work, and it's pretty reliable, but has to be cumbersome on the cm15 memory. I created backup timers that will try the sequence again 10, then 15 minutes after dusk. Never do they all turn on at dusk, but if I wait, eventually everything turns on. Any ideas as to the ROOT cause of this problem, and what can i do to simplify the process?

(3) I have a sticky wall switch that works 100% of the time in the kitchen, but if I move 5 feet to the garage (where it is needed) it barely works. I want it to be able to turn on/off my A6 garage lights that are on a wall switch. I can troubleshoot this if you can tell me this: what is the sticky wall switch sending commands to? Is it talking to the wall switch, the ahp cm15, or the transceiver module?

Thanks in advance

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: AHP 3.271 - 3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »

(1)I have garage lights on a wall switch A6 that turn on when motion is detected by an eagle eye that fires A6 On. I only really need this feature during the evening hours, so would like to figure out how to do this: "If" it is after dusk and before dawn -and- the motion fires A6 On, "then" turn A6 on. Any ideas on how to accomplish?

(2) I have 3 dusk to dawn timers that are very unreliable. Front porch, back porch, and kitchen sink light. They are all leviton wall switches and I have them coded as appliance modules to get over the soft start hump previously reported. They work PERFECTLY independent of any timers. I have the timers stored to the cm15 interface, and have them on repeat. I found a work around to get them to work, and it's pretty reliable, but has to be cumbersome on the cm15 memory. I created backup timers that will try the sequence again 10, then 15 minutes after dusk. Never do they all turn on at dusk, but if I wait, eventually everything turns on. Any ideas as to the ROOT cause of this problem, and what can i do to simplify the process?

(3) I have a sticky wall switch that works 100% of the time in the kitchen, but if I move 5 feet to the garage (where it is needed) it barely works. I want it to be able to turn on/off my A6 garage lights that are on a wall switch. I can troubleshoot this if you can tell me this: what is the sticky wall switch sending commands to? Is it talking to the wall switch, the ahp cm15, or the transceiver module?

Thanks in advance
1. You can’t have the light and the motion sensor using the same house code – unit code and expect the light to do anything other than what the motion sensor is telling it, i.e. motion – turn on, no motion turn off. Change the light to a different HCUC and let AHP control the light using what ever conditions you want.

2. Sounds like noise electrical noise might be your problem. Search the forum of “noise” and “phase coupling”, there is plenty of information on it.

3. The Slim Line Switch transmits RF to either the CM15A and/or the TM751 which then puts the code on the powerlines which is how the modules (wall, lamp, appliance, etc) are controlled. If BOTH the CM15A and the TM751 pick up the RF signal then the  TM751 (which is “impolite”) will trample and corrupt the power line code coming from the CM15A and nothing will turn on or off.
Try using only the CM15A.  Also there are forum discussion on adding a "passive antenna" or "passive repeater" antenna to the Slim Line switch to improve range.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »

I would suggest replacing the TM751 with a RR501.    It's a "polite" transceiver which waits for the line to clear before sending a signal. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

imcmole

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:36:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I will tackle the obvious stuff and report back if needed.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »

(2) I have 3 dusk to dawn timers that are very unreliable. ... They work PERFECTLY independent of any timers. ... Never do they all turn on at dusk, but if I wait, eventually everything turns on. Any ideas as to the ROOT cause of this problem, and what can i do to simplify the process?

Have you checked the Activity Log, to see if the commands are firing at the right times?
If the lights work perfectly from AHP when you control them manually, then I would suspect the commands aren't being sent when you expect them, rather than the commands being blocked by noise or some other interference.

Check to make sure that your system time and time zone are correct (on your PC). Also, check that your location is correct in AHP, and that the Dawn/Dusk times seem correct in the listing in AHP. Those are the times you should see the commands for the lights.

Another trick I've found, is that if you go into the timer interface, the on/off times should be grayed out for timers that are tied to dusk/dawn. However, the time in the box should still be the actual time of the next scheduled on/off time. See if that matches your calculation for dusk and dawn. Your definition of "Dusk" and "Dawn" might not match up with the times that AHP has calculated.

imcmole

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »

Noam: Thanks for the tips, I'll troubleshoot.

All: Need some further help with a Macro if anyone has ideas... I want the garage lights A7 to turn on for 1 minute anytime the motion sensor fires the A6 command if the time is between 4pm and 6am. I setup the following in macros and it works, but with a bug. During the hours of 4pm and 6am, when motion detects something, the light goes on/off, on/off, repeatedly. Sometimes it stays on, but mostly it repeats the on/off sequence like there is some kind of loop going on.

Macro:

Trigger A6 (On) and time between 4pm and Dawn

Turn A7 On (100% bright)

Delay 00:01:00

Turn A7 Off

Thanks

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »

The macro is triggering when there is motion, turning on the light, then turning it off 1 minute later. If there is continued motion, the macro will trigger again, and turn the light off again one minute later.
There are ways to use nested macros and flags to overcome this, but I am not the best person to detail that logic for you. There are plenty of others here who should be able to assist you.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »

If the Motion Sensor is on A6 and the Light in question is on A7.
There is a potential problem.
Motion sensors have a dusk dawn feature. The A6 address for motion would be A7 for dusk and dawn.
That means every time it gets dark the dusk A7 On will turn on the light and at dawn the A7 Off will turn it off. If it was On.

Also if the light is physically shining on the motion sensor.
It could cycle On and Off as the light triggers the dusk and dawn sensor.
Light goes On when dusk is detected.
Light shines on motion sensor triggering the dawn Off.
Light goes Off. Dusk detected again. Light goes back On.  rofl

If you are using A6 for the motion sensor and A7 for the light. You could change the lights or motion sensors address.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:49:48 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.