Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: New iWatchMobile  (Read 204082 times)

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: New iWatchMobile
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »

Quote from x10s Facebook page:

Stef Feldman If you would like to use your mobile phone for an “anywhere” application, yes the new iWatchMobile Pro will be needed. For users who have already purchased the IWatchMobile application, we have a call in special available for this new application at $9.99. Please feel free to message me your contact information or contact us at 1800-675-3044 if you would like to take advantage of this promotion
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:49:37 PM by J.B. »

mcguyver

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »

Quote from x10s Facebook page:

Stef Feldman If you would like to use your mobile phone for an “anywhere” application, yes the new iWatchMobile Pro will be needed. For users who have already purchased the IWatchMobile application, we have a call in special available for this new application at $9.99. Please feel free to message me your contact information or contact us at 1800-675-3044 if you would like to take advantage of this promotion

lol. I dont do facebook.  I know its only an extra 9.99 but at this time i am just to upset to spend the money. Maybe in a few days when i cool down. rofl
Blackberry Storm -3G only

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »

lol Some how i feel used and abused. The iWatchmobile was a work in progress and instead of making it better you all came out with a different version.

We are still making iWatchMobile better.  We need a PRO version because setting up port forwarding is not easy for many users, and we're solving that problem by providing a reflector service.  This incurs ongoing bandwidth expenses for X10, and so it has to be a separate product.

But that's not the only way to solve the problem.  iWatchMobile right now works great in a 3G environment.  We've improved the web server, and I think you'll find that the next release works even better.  And we're adding new features, including 3G features.  For instance, some users have asked for password support, and we're adding this to iWatchMobile. 

X10 Dev

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »

OK - so since I just bought iWatchMobile a day or two ago can I upgrade it to PRO for just the difference in price? When was PRO announced? Sure wish I knew about it before! I am willing to pay the $10 difference but not the $30 "full" price.

Yes, you can upgrade for the difference in price.

iWatchMobile PRO was announced at midnight this morning.

X10 Dev

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »

Hmmm.... A lot of this sounds really familiar to me for some reason.
Very nice, now I will have to buy the software a "second" time.
Still no iris and focus controls for the Vanguard and Sentinels?

Also, any estimate on when this will even be available to download?
It's not currently on the servers...
We'll publish a download link late tonight.

We're adding iris and focus controls, but that won't make it into tonight's release.  I would expect that feature by Thursday.

J.B.

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

I assume the price hike was due to x10 hosting servers for the "view from anywhere" function?

Sorry, didn't see the other post before I posted this.

We are still making iWatchMobile better.  We need a PRO version because setting up port forwarding is not easy for many users, and we're solving that problem by providing a reflector service.  This incurs ongoing bandwidth expenses for X10, and so it has to be a separate product.

So, where iWatchMobile is still being improved, is there really going to be any difference with it and iWatchMobile PRO other than the reflector service? Also stated was that you can use direct connection and not have to use the reflector service in the "PRO" version and use it as most of us do iWatchMobile and port forwarding now. Why not "upgrade" iWatchMobile and only continue with this one "PRO" version product if they are essentially one and the same? Then charge a one-time fee to use the reflector service if needed.

I had suggested several of these features (presets, iris, focus etc...) that were said to be worked into iWatchMobile, now I have to pay to "upgrade" which is kind of discouraging to me.  B:(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:33:39 PM by J.B. »

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »

I got an idea!   -:)   Why announce it WITHOUT a download link?  Doesn't make sense to me.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

X10 Dev

« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »

X10 did it again!  Have everybody think that they have a new program, everybody gets on the band wagon and buys it.  Then a couple of days later put out a "Pro" version  which is just the same program with a few more features and maybe some of the bugs worked out from the old version!  Sounds like to me that X10 wanted paid for you being the beta testers!   X10 you should be ashamed of yourselves!
Hey, this isn't the situation.  The primary feature for the PRO version is to support 3G without requiring any router setup.  To do this requires some ongoing expense on X10's part for bandwidth, since we need to operate and maintain a reflector service.  iWatchMobile is a great product with or without the PRO upgrade, and we will sell and support both products going forward.

kevinwheeler

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »

Thank you J.B. I have been an X10 user for years and it is nice to see that the software side of the house has been working hard lately and adding some nice new functions and fixing things that have been broken for a while. I will be taking advantage of the special offer that you mentioned.

Lastly, I actually run 2 identically configured machines, each with separately licensed versions of the software, for redundancy. Is there a way to change the port address of 8777 to something else for my second machine? Even if it's a binary patch?

Thanks - off to purchase some more stuff.

Kevin

hawk1

« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »

Hey, this isn't the situation.  The primary feature for the PRO version is to support 3G without requiring any router setup.  To do this requires some ongoing expense on X10's part for bandwidth, since we need to operate and maintain a reflector service.  iWatchMobile is a great product with or without the PRO upgrade, and we will sell and support both products going forward.

[/quote]

I have another question then.  Why didn't you just wait a couple of more days and release both versions to the users could decide which one they needed?  That way if there were bugs in the software the user would only have to deal with it once instead of getting a new program (Pro) and figuring all the bugs out again.

Most home users have no idea what port forwarding is. So if your saying that you released IWatchMobile for only people that know how to forward ports on their router  then the average user wouldn't be able to get it up and running anyway.  Hence, going through a lot of frustration when it was not needed since the "Pro" version would have solved that.

Just my opinion though, for what it's worth.

X10 Dev

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2010, 05:01:08 PM »

I have another question then.  Why didn't you just wait a couple of more days and release both versions to the users could decide which one they needed?  That way if there were bugs in the software the user would only have to deal with it once instead of getting a new program (Pro) and figuring all the bugs out again.

Most home users have no idea what port forwarding is. So if your saying that you released IWatchMobile for only people that know how to forward ports on their router  then the average user wouldn't be able to get it up and running anyway.  Hence, going through a lot of frustration when it was not needed since the "Pro" version would have solved that.

Just my opinion though, for what it's worth.
Sorry for any frustration...

When we started development on iWatchMobile, we thought it would be cool to get updating still images and pan/tilt functions on your cell phone in a WiFi environment.  We wanted to do a web application so that everybody would be able to use the software, not just iPhone users.  We overachieved on our development schedule and ended up with a product that does video over WiFi.  Plus, if you understand port forwarding, it works on 3G too.

We thought the next step would be to develop a video reflector to make it easier for users to connect via 3G.  We thought it would take a long time to develop.  If you told me 3 weeks ago (on the day we released iWatchMobile) that the reflector would be running today, I just wouldn't have believed you.  So it's not so much a matter of why didn't we release both applications together as that the PRO version is just amazingly ahead of schedule.

Of course, the whole development team has been working 100+ hour weeks for so long now that for us, what day it is is getting a little blurry...   ;D

mcguyver

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »

lol Some how i feel used and abused. The iWatchmobile was a work in progress and instead of making it better you all came out with a different version.

But that's not the only way to solve the problem.  iWatchMobile right now works great in a 3G environment.  We've improved the web server, and I think you'll find that the next release works even better.  And we're adding new features, including 3G features.  For instance, some users have asked for password support, and we're adding this to iWatchMobile. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I was focused on the part about better 3g capabilities and not the use of x10’s server. I am glad your still making improvements to the original version and i dont think i will need to buy the pro version. ;D
Blackberry Storm -3G only

J.B.

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2010, 10:30:13 AM »

Ok, so I installed iWatchMobile Pro, version is 3.291 and now it, ActivePhone, and OnAlertMobile no longer function.  >*<
Tried a clean install with the same results.  B:(
I cannot even access it from a web browser locally on the AHP machine.
Any suggestions?  :'

Just noticed also that the invite a cell phone option for ActivePhone no longer allows to select a radio button to determine whether to send HTML or text email.
I assume new software, new bugs??  >*< B:(
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:47:03 AM by J.B. »

hawk1

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2010, 11:07:57 AM »

I rest my case!   :'

J.B.

« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »

Another clean install with AHP and all plug-ins except iWatchMobile Pro and all is working.
It is definitely issues caused by this new plug-in.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.