Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sending a manual ON/OFF signal over AC  (Read 4211 times)

BoyntonStu

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Sending a manual ON/OFF signal over AC
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »

Is there a way to send an ON or an OFF signal over the ac wiring that would normally originate with a motion sensor like the MS-16a?

Better still, switch on an ac lamp and simultaneously send an ON signal.

Switch off the lamp and simultaneously send an OFF signal.

I want to control an AM or a UM by controlling a lamp.

I have an application that can be best described as a backwards automation device.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Sending a manual ON/OFF signal over AC
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »

The Switchlinc or Icon switches send their house/unit code when toggled locally.

adamsdaddy

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »

I'm not real good with specific lingo.  What is an AM or UM?  If you are running AHP then I'm sure you could build a macro that could take care of your problem.  

Please clarify, you want to remotely turn on a lamp AND send on On signal.  An on signal to what? A specific device, an "all on" command or something completely different?

More info is better. I'm sure someone will come up with a nifty idea to help.  Good luck.

Brandt

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »

AM is appliance module. UM is universal module.

BoyntonStu

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »

AM is appliance module. UM is universal module.

Thanks, that is what I was trying to explain.

No computer involved.

This is what the switch to do:

Remove a wall switch that currently controls a ceiling light above it.

Replace it with a Switchlinc/Icon switch.

The Icon switch will operate the ceiling and it will also send house/unit code when it is switched on and when it is switched off.

When the ceiling light is turned on, a Universal Controller elsewhere in the house will close its contacts.

When the ceiling light is turned off, a Universal Controller elsewhere in the house will open its contacts.

Can these products do the task?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »

Do you just want on and off?
The Insteon SwitchLinc Relay and the Icon Relay version can have an X10 address programmed into them. They will turn the local load on and off and also send an X10 power line On and Off to the UM506 Universal Module. They come with no X10 address in them and have to be put into the linking mode with the set button. Then receive the X10 address three times from a powerline controller.

The dimmer version work slightly different. They still send an X10 on and off when the paddle is taped but send a %Dim command if brightened and dimmed. X10 modules do not use %dim. If dimmed to 0% they do send an X10 Off and if brightened to 100% they send a X10 On.

All Insteon and Icon wall switches need a Neutral Power connection to work. So a Line, Neutral and Load connection is needed in the switches box where you want to use it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:26:17 PM by Brian H »

BoyntonStu

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »

Do you just want on and off?
The Insteon SwitchLinc Relay and the Icon Relay version can have an X10 address programmed into them. They will turn the local load on and off and also send an X10 power line On and Off to the UM506 Universal Module. They come with no X10 address in them and have to be put into the linking mode with the set button. Then receive the X10 address three times from a powerline controller.

The dimmer version work slightly different. They still send an X10 on and off when the paddle is taped but send a %Dim command if brightened and dimmed. X10 modules do not use %dim. If dimmed to 0% they do send an X10 Off and if brightened to 100% they send a X10 On.

All Insteon and Icon wall switches need a Neutral Power connection to work. So a Line, Neutral and Load connection is needed in the switches box where you want to use it.

Yes, just on and off.

They come with no X10 address in them and have to be put into the linking mode with the set button. OK

Then receive the X10 address three times from a powerline controller.  Please explain/expand.

Are you saying that the set button cannot set a home/unit; and only enable a linking mode to accept the address?

In order to get the address one needs a powerline controller to set it one time?

BTW What happens to the address in memory if there is a power failure?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:34:41 PM by BoyntonStu »

Brandt

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »

I assume what he's saying is your program them the same way as a socket rocket. You put them in linking mode and then send their house/unit code ON signal three times over the power line with something like a maxi/mini controller. These things have eeprom so that their settings are retained in case of a power failure.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:16:45 AM »

Yes you put them in the linking mode by holding the top paddle ten seconds and the LED starts flashing.
Unlike the Socket Rocket that allows a thirty second programming time. The programing time is four minutes.

You then have to send a power line X10 signal three times for it to accept the address. There is a procedure to remove it also.

The power line signal can come from any X10 device that can do power line control.
Even the TM751 with a hand held remote would work. I don't think you could get a motion sensor to send the needed three RF signals correctly.

X10 and the EBay dealers are constantly selling things like the SC503 Maxi-Controller; MC460 Mini-Controller and the MT13A Mini-Timer.

The paddle in this case or the set button on plug in modules does not program an X10 address in them. Only allows you to add an X10 address or link them to another Insteon device.

The switches have a EEPROM as Brandt indicated. They do remember the address along with any Insteon Links to other Insteon devices if you where also doing Insteon. They remember their last state during a power failure. So if it was on when the power went off. It goes back on when the power returns. They have a relay in them and do not CLUNK like an X10 appliance module or WS13A do.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:00:44 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.