Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need technical help!!!  (Read 6113 times)

NEVERSLEEPER

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need technical help!!!
« on: August 31, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »

Hello, i recently bought a Wireless Home Security System (29pc set).IThe problem is next - i bought the system in USA,but soon after that i moved to Europe. As u know the electricity in europe is 220v, and when they plugged in the console in the power outlet, the resistor R1 burned out. All i need to know is the values of that resistor, because it's dark from the burned where the letters should be, or if u know it would be better to reccomend me what values do i need to use it without using an electricity transformer for Europe. "Main console -   Voice Dialer Console (PS561)"
I hope u guys know how to help me and thanks in advance to anyone who do it!!!

NEVERSLEEPER

Re: Need technical help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:31:52 AM »

nobody knows the values of the R1 resistor (blue, right next to the transforer). If u have the same unit, all u need is to unscrew it and tell me the numbers that are on that little blue resistor, so i can go and buy a new one...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:53:11 AM »

If anyone has the information. I am sure they will provide it.

If you connected it to 220 volts. You may have more damaged than just a resistor.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

If u have the same unit, all u need is to unscrew it and tell me the numbers that are on that little blue resistor...

Very few members/readers of the forum are technically inclined or even comfortable enough to open and risk messing with a working unit. What you are asking for is not something most people can or will help you with, so some patience is in order with such a request. There is a chance someone does have an old discarded unit that they can look at, but not ever member reads every post every day.

P.S. This is a form for information exchange and reading, please refrain from using text message style shortcuts. There is not a maximum character limit assigned to postings. When asking such a request, it would be more polite and helpful to your cause to not refer to members as "u".

Thanks

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »

I don't have a PS561, so I can't help with the resistor value.  If that unit has a transformerless power supply, the dropping capacitor and shunt regulator may also have been stressed or damaged.  The X10 devices I am familiar with use a 250VDC dropping capacitor for 120V.  A 220V system has a 311V peak voltage, which is added to the internal supply voltage on the opposite AC half cycle.  That could be enough to cause damage to a 250VDC capacitor.  Also, if the shunt regulator opened due to excess current, the damage could have propagated further.

There is another issue to consider that perhaps someone else can confirm.  I understand X10 wireless devices use a different frequency in North America from that used in Europe.  That could mean that your security equipment is operating illegally, and possibly causing interference to other communication.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »

A MOV rated for the 120 volt power line may also have popped.

NEVERSLEEPER

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:17:49 AM »

Thank You for responding. All transformers and other components of the scheme were completely checked and working properly. In my case i believe the R1 resistor take the hit, the transformer is working perfectly. When i use it on baterry it is working, but i can change the battery every 2-3 days, that's why i want to fix the burned resistor.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:17:09 AM »

You will have to use a 240 volt to 120 volt transformer. To make it work and not burn again.
I don't have one to peek into and hope someone can give you the needed R1 value.

3_jeeps

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »

Hello, i recently bought a Wireless Home Security System (29pc set).IThe problem is next - i bought the system in USA,but soon after that i moved to Europe. As u know the electricity in europe is 220v, and when they plugged in the console in the power outlet, the resistor R1 burned out. All i need to know is the values of that resistor, because it's dark from the burned where the letters should be, or if u know it would be better to reccomend me what values do i need to use it without using an electricity transformer for Europe. "Main console -   Voice Dialer Console (PS561)"
I hope u guys know how to help me and thanks in advance to anyone who do it!!!

Do the pictures in this thread help?  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=20921.0
Perhaps the person that did this could help you?
You have only two options to make the system usable on 220VAC:
1) Buy an external 220/110 step-down transformer and run your device from it. (The easiest and most direct way)
2) Replace the transformer inside the unit that has a 220 VAC primary. You will have to find out the what the secondary voltage is on your unit.  Doing this replacement is possible, but you need to be very competent with electronics.
J

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.