Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie X10 Question  (Read 3197 times)

dbeatty1954

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie X10 Question
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »

I am looking at using X10 Home automation equipment in my home.  I have a couple of questions.  Are there any best practices in using X10 modules with appliances, such as refrigerators and freezers.  I was wondering if it is possible to shut them off for short periods of time to save energy.  Also I have a hot tub that is hardwired into a hot tub/spa shutoff.  Hot tube is running on 220v.  Can I use the X10 modules to monitor and manage the hot tub.  Thanks for any info.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Newbie X10 Question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »

...... I was wondering if it is possible to shut them off for short periods of time to save energy. 

Refrigerator and freezer manufactures are very competitive... and they employ some pretty smart engineers to make those products energy efficient. I would NOT expect X10 products to improve process. Accidentally thawing ether a freezer of frig... could cost you big.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

Can I use the X10 modules to monitor and manage the hot tub. 
Yes.
http://www.smarthome.com/1289/30-Amp-Appliance-Relay-Module/p.aspx

I agree with Dave, X10 control signals can be corrupted by electrical noise. One can "condition" the home to minimize noise, coupling, and "signal suckers", but there is no guarantee the ON signal will get to the freezer the day after you start your two week Europe vacation.

For energy saving, concentrate on the HVAC and water heater. Besides, keeping the refrigerator and freezer coils clean will probably save more energy that turning them off 10 minutes every hour.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »

...... Besides, keeping the refrigerator and freezer coils clean will probably save more energy that turning them off 10 minutes every hour.

If you want the frig to run less (fewer minutes per hour)... just turn the temperature setting up. Being warmer inside the frig will be the result ether way. It just means your milk (and other foods) won't last more that a maybe a couple hours.

The OP is looking for a way to use automation products to save-a-buck. Not a bad idea... just a couple decades late.

We've all already insulated our homes, installed the new thermal windows and doors (often with storm doors and windows as well). We've replaced the appliances, hot water heaters, and even furnaces with energy star top performers, replaced light bulbs with CFL and LEDs. We use our automation setups to turn off unused lights... or only light when motion is detected.

Cigarettes, Beer, wine, hard liquor, and energy are artificially priced high by government. There is no simple easy solution. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.