Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems w/'Invite a Cellphone'...:  (Read 29667 times)

CritiKiL

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Problems w/'Invite a Cellphone'...:
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »

I have the AHP with the necessary addons. My first problem was the camera not showing when I added it. Found out that it was just a matter of checking the wire plugs, they were not in all the way and 'wallaah' ~ the camera works! But, this was after being told that my wireless router was the culprit, or my house phone. Turned out that I bought a 5.7 ghz frequency house phone, and my router as 'not' a problem.

Ok! The reason I made this thread (I 'had' to show everyone that these products are not always an 'out of the box and use it' types of products!), is because I do not understand the 'use the e-mail that your phone is syncd to' part. I mean, I have the iphone 3GS and WiFi, so how do I find out 'what e-mail my iphone is syncd to'????

I have e-mails which are inboxed with my iphone, and so I used each one of those to no avail: No 'links' were sent. So can someone PLEASE explain in little kid words, how or what I am doing wrong? I need this to be able to see what other issues I will run into, but I just need to get past 'first base'. I also have the ActivePhone to do as well, which requires the 'same situation'.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Problems w/'Invite a Cellphone'...:
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »

Any email address you have added for use with your phone, should be able to have the link for iWatchMobile sent to it.
From ActiveHome Pro, you click Plug-ins, iWatchMobile, Invite a Cell, and it may be best to select "just send a basic text email".
Enter an email address you can access from your iPhone and click send.
This should send the link for iWatchMobile to your email inbox on your cell and the service or program you normally use for that email address. Eg: hotmail.com, live.com, gmail, outlook, etc... Whatever you happen to have setup for use on your phone.
You should be able to determine which email addresses you have synced to your phone by going to settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars for the iPhone. It should list your email accounts here.
It may not hurt to sign in to your email account you are using from your computer to verify the link isn't being sent to a junkmail folder.
I'm not sure the link would show up on your phone if it were.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:06:12 AM by J.B. »

CritiKiL

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »

Thanks J.B. NOW, I know that there is a problem with the AHP sending me any e-mails. How can this be troubleshooted because 'this is the problem' and you have helped me confirm that. The AHP is 'not' sending me any e-mails...

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »

Thanks J.B. NOW, I know that there is a problem with the AHP sending me any e-mails. How can this be troubleshooted because 'this is the problem' and you have helped me confirm that. The AHP is 'not' sending me any e-mails...
You may also want to check your Junk mail folder. It ends up there by accident 99% of the time.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

CritiKiL

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:51:31 AM »

Yea, I check the Junk folder always. It's not there. Is there any way that I can get a straight 'url link' without having to go through this e-mail thing? Because I''m very frustrated now, being that I've paid $100's of dollars for the AHP, iWatchMobile & ActivePhone...and cannot use them the way they were meant to be. Customer Service has no idea what to tell me if the e-mail doesn't ever work. I please need some professional answers for this 'small' inconvenience, and I cannot believe that I'm the only who has had this problem ;-(

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »

Yea, I check the Junk folder always. It's not there. Is there any way that I can get a straight 'url link' without having to go through this e-mail thing? Because I''m very frustrated now, being that I've paid $100's of dollars for the AHP, iWatchMobile & ActivePhone...and cannot use them the way they were meant to be. Customer Service has no idea what to tell me if the e-mail doesn't ever work. I please need some professional answers for this 'small' inconvenience, and I cannot believe that I'm the only who has had this problem ;-(

Yes, there is a way.  The link that appears on the 'send email' dialog is the link to type in.  http:/127.0.0.1/iwatch is the link, with the 127.0.0.1 replaced with the numbers that appear on your screen.  The email is meant as a convenience to save typing, not an annoyance.

rnorton888

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:25:12 AM »

Also I told techs already. If you already have all data in the area for email etc and you reopen the invite you have to actually click on the email name and then hit the send.
If it actually sends you will get the busy Icon for about 3 secs if not and it goes right to the OK it probabley did not actually send. So in otherwords unless you make a change to the email or at least click inside the email area then it prob will not send as it does not think anything was changed.
Thanks
Randy

geeforce

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:21:11 AM »

hello critikil. I have had the same problem with Iwatchmobile sending the email link. I just wanted you to know that it doesn't send the link for whatever reason. If anyone has gotten the link count yourself lucky. I called X10 and was placed with and email tech. The only way i got it and you appear to be in the same positon. You'll have to go to Start on the icon tray at the bottom of your screen, click on run and type cmd in the box, and a DOS box will open Type in IPCONFIG uppercase, a list of info will appear. There you should see your IP address: ex. 192.168.1 etc. write that number down. that number is the beginning of the link. Go to your address bar place http:// and that number in and add at the end of it (:8777/iwatch). That's the link you were suppose to get. I believe 8777 is the port that iwatch uses. After that i hit another brick wall. On the system i'm running AHP i can input that info and i can get to the page. What i have observed is that my system is the server for this software, but when i us my cell i get it i get "page won't load". I think i know why but don't qoute me. The system i'm using AHP on is connected to the internet by a router. I think i'm going to have to use something called portforwarding. I know very little about it but this is what i do know. When you try to access a system on a network from the outside it has to go through the router. The router restricts access due to security reasons for good reasons (hackers). I'm have passed this on to the tech. that i'm on a wireless router. He doesn't appear to hear me. I think they are reading the troubleshooting help. He is slowly catching up to this, but email is slow. I'll keep you informed of the progress.

geeforce

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:48:17 AM »

One more thing after reading the other threads about the new software. Maybe thats why the tech is so slow on directing me on portforwarding. I guess the final contact will be i'll need to buy the upgrade to iwatchmobile pro. Sorry folks i think i just got tick off. Anyway if anyone wants to know more about portforwarding go to www.portforward.com there is alot of info on it. My problem is there is to much info. if anyone has better luck with the translation pass it on in simply terms.

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 03:26:50 AM »

One more thing after reading the other threads about the new software. Maybe thats why the tech is so slow on directing me on portforwarding. I guess the final contact will be i'll need to buy the upgrade to iwatchmobile pro. Sorry folks i think i just got tick off. Anyway if anyone wants to know more about portforwarding go to www.portforward.com there is alot of info on it. My problem is there is to much info. if anyone has better luck with the translation pass it on in simply terms.

Sorry for the frustration -- We made the PRO version because we felt that port forwarding was really hard to understand for the average user.  Unfortunately, the only way to get around the issue is to use X10's servers to connect up your phone and your computer over 3G.  This incurs ongoing bandwidth expenses for X10 (since the video has to pass through a server at X10), which is why there is a difference in price.

geeforce

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I am not and expert on portforwarding but i would like to be able to use the software i bought. It doesn't have to do with the money. i would pay for it if it works and from what i have been hearing from the another thread that 1 doesn't work either. Anyway if you can help me set up portforwarding i would be greatful. I do have some understanding of porforwarding and static ip. Correct me if i'm wrong. I have the cisco linksys e1000 router and i have found that i can restict the router from using assigning the ip i input (doing away with the need for a static IP address). How do i forward that Ip through my router? and how can i restrict someone from accidently finding the right port and view my interior. I'm not tring to be a smart allic. I have been an X10 user since 2000. Your hardware (security system) it works as advertise. I have been promoting your security system with pride. Your software howevery i've been having a lot of problems with. I bought the camera system and vangaurd didn't work they sent me sentinal that didn't work, but the cameras did. I could view them on the TV, but the software kept crashing. They sent me AHP pro it worked kind of. i can do stills but not live video. They offered me a refund, but doing that i would be left with nothing. I bought the iwatchmobile here i am again. Look i trust your hardware make me a believer in your software. Make me your poster child. I have the palm pre' with 3g web browsing. i do understand refreshing has a lot to do with signal strength. If i have to manual refreashing no problem. This tech. was designed for the low budget. I just want some help.

ErikP

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »

How do i forward that Ip through my router?

Unfortunately port forwarding, while relatively simple to do, is different for every make and manufacture of router. 

The good news is...
I checked the official support page for your model of router (https://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E1000), and in the FAQ section there is a link "How to Setup Port Forwarding for Game Consoles and other Devices on your Valet or Linksys E-Series".  This should contain simple step by step instructions to configure forwarding on your router.

The bad news is...
This appears to be a dead link.  Without these instructions, and without personal knowledge of your router I can only offer generic help.  Try that link for yourself though, it may work for you, or you can call Cisco's or Linksys's support line, and they can help you configure your router.

In the mean time, the general idea behind a firewall is that anytime an connection is requested from outside your local network it is rejected.  Port forwarding simply means that if a request comes in at a specific port number to forward it to a particular computer on your network.  The port for this application is 8777, so you will want to forward port 8777 for both UDP and TCP to the static IP address of your computer running ActiveHome Pro.

Another common problem first time users have at this point is that the outside world can not see the IP address of your home computer, because it is behind the router.  The immediate solution is you need your publicly viewable IP address, and you will need to use that on your phone.  You can get this address by looking at the status of your router's control software and getting its public, or WAN address.  once you have this, and port forwarding configured you should be able to enter into your phone's browser <your public address>:8777/iwatch and see the software.

Another potential problem however, most internet service providers give out dynamic addresses.  This means your address is only yours for some period of time.  After this, it expires, and may or may not be the same after it renews.  If it is different then the address that you have likely been using for several weeks at that point will no longer work.  You can request a static IP address from most ISPs, however most of them want money for this service.  A good free option is to use a dynamic DNS service such as http://www.dyndns.com/.  Many home routers now have built in support for many of the more popular of these services.  These create a publicly accessible shortcut to your address.  once configured you could for example enter http://dyndns.com/geeforce/iwatch into your phone to access your software.  If your router supports this service it will automatically notify the service of any changes to your address once configured to do so.  This is the same reason you will want a static IP address on your local network before you configure any port forwarding, but one layer closer to the public internet.

I hope this helps.  I will keep checking that official support link to see if it comes back online later.  If so i will post again with information on what and where to fill in the blanks on the FAQ with.

how can i restrict someone from accidently finding the right port and view my interior?
unfortunately, this is the main counter argument to port forwarding.  On the upside opening port 8777 by itself should not be a big security risk.  while some other applications may use that port as well, nothing major that you would want to keep locked up uses that port that i am aware of. 
As for unwanted users accessing your camera feeds, the more recent releases of iWatchMobile have inherited the security code from iWatchmobile PRO.  Once updated to the most recent version the invite cell phone dialog should have a "Use Security on WiFi" check box which will add a parameter to the URL displayed on the window.  Even if you are still having problems with the dialog you should be able to use the same method as before to replace the address and make a functioning web URL.  In the latest version you are now able to enable security on WiFi and create a random access key without needing to have iWatchMobile PRO installed.

geeforce

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 03:24:04 AM »

Thank you ErikP for your reply. i'll start there first and contact Cisco on configuring my router and also call my ISP on their IP protocal. I'll us your comment as a road map to get the system up and running. I'll keep you informed of my progress. thanks again.

geeforce

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 01:04:29 AM »

Hello erikp. I went a head and buckled down when the tech told me i needed to get the upgrade. I installed iwatchmobile pro. After installation i invited my cellphone and i got the text, but it didn't work. I next dropped my firewall and it worked. I could see the cameras and switch between them. Refreshing was slow but it was working. Unfortunately after the default time ran out for the firewall, it came back up and after that i couldn't get anything with it up or down. Only getting 500 error- server disconnected. i have been working with Norton through their forum on allowing the program to run with the firewall up. Is this a problem on your end and would portforwarding preventing it from happening with me again (Server disconnected). :'

the

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »

Today i order the flood cam system on line and i click pay by paypal and it show 500 internal server error ..also it happen with my
ATHP iwathmobile pro ..I think problem with the server .
I check my paypal and it show PAID but i dont get any order# or any confirm order from X10..
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.