Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monitored House Code  (Read 2803 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Monitored House Code
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »

In the process of cleaning up my AHP file a few weeks ago, I was reminded of a "feature" that I'd rather be able to live without.
I currently use House Code "C" for my devices, and House Code "M" for all my macros.
I have more macros than devices at the moment.

AHP thinks it knows better than I do, and prompts me before I download my timers to the CM15A, asking if I want to switch the "Monitored House Code" to "M," since it has more modules. I don't want to do that, as I want to keep it monitoring House Code "C". So, I tell it to leave the setting the way it is.

I know there is a setting in the "Preferences" screen, called "Check Monitored House Code Usage". If I check that box, I get this prompt every time I download to the CM15A. If I uncheck it, then AHP changes my monitored House Code to "M" when I download.

My workaround has been to add several "dummy" modules in AHP, all on House Code "C" (they can all be on the same Unit Code). If I add enough so that there are now more modules (or macros) on House Code "C", then I don't get the prompt to change. I need to leave that setting checked, however, in case I change anything around, and throw the balance off again.

Is there any other way (besides the dummy modules) to tell AHP that I don't want it to change the Monitored House Code for me, but at the same time, NOT to prompt me, either?

It would be nice if AHP would have three choices for us:
a) Automatically adjust Monitored House Code
b) Warn if Monitored House Code is not the most-used (prompt user to change)
c) Leave User-set Monitored House Code setting alone (don't ask/don't tell).

I am not a programmer, but I can't imagine it would be too hard to add that option in the next revision.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: Monitored House Code
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »

I don't use AHP anymore but isn't there a check box in the pop up box (the one asking if you want to change monitored house codes) that says don't ask again?  I though I saw one there.  I might be wrong though.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »

I don't use AHP anymore but isn't there a check box in the pop up box (the one asking if you want to change monitored house codes) that says don't ask again?  I though I saw one there.  I might be wrong though.

Unfortunately, checking that box is the same as unchecking "Check Monitored House Code Usage." It Automatically picks the House Code with the most modules on it, which is not what I want.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »

Un-checking the check monitored code (see attached image) should fix your reoccurring pop-up. If not... create a monitored code room... and place fake modules in there till you use up the remaining monitored addresses. Then your monitored code should be the one with the most used modules as well.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

Un-checking the check monitored code (see attached image) should fix your reoccurring pop-up. If not... create a monitored code room... and place fake modules in there till you use up the remaining monitored addresses. Then your monitored code should be the one with the most used modules as well.
That's pretty much what I did. It would be nice if the X10 developers could just make it an option within the program, instead.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »

..... It would be nice if the X10 developers could just make it an option within the program, instead.

Of course... your right. It would be nice (and correct is the way it should be).

But it seems to me that very little about the products... and much of the software are anywhere near perfect. It is a niche market... only a fraction of a percent of people use any Home Automation that isn't already built into the products they buy. I'd be willing to bet X10 puts a bears share of their resources into engineering efforts. But there is always only so much money.

I guess I've learned to except workarounds as a normal... standard of operations. But none of the workarounds are difficult. I am convinced that just about anyone who makes an effort can create impressive home automation. It's just not plug N play.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.