Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Myhouse, Netgear router and Bell Sympatico  (Read 12398 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Myhouse, Netgear router and Bell Sympatico
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »

Does anyone know how to set this up so Myhouse.x10.com can connect through a Netgear router connected to Bell Sympatico?

I know I have to set up port forwarding in the router to allow ports 80,443,8080&8888 to open. I've done that and it still won't work, so I figure it must be because Bell Sympatico doesn't use a static ip address. I'm not sure what ip address to put in the router configuration for port forwarding.

Help!

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
Re: Myhouse, Netgear router and Bell Sympatico
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »

Hey Birdzeye

I use a Netgear (although I've replaced the stock firmware) with my Cogeco service. Regardless, I used to use Bell Sympatico and can help you figure this out.
A few questions:
1) Do you have any security software (even Bell's Security Suite) installed on your AHP PC?
2) What model Netgear router do you have?
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »

Hey Birdzeye

I use a Netgear (although I've replaced the stock firmware) with my Cogeco service. Regardless, I used to use Bell Sympatico and can help you figure this out.
A few questions:
1) Do you have any security software (even Bell's Security Suite) installed on your AHP PC?
2) What model Netgear router do you have?

anthonylavado,

My security software is Microsoft Security Essentials, and the router is Netgear WGR614.

I already tried turning off the security software when trying to connect through MyHouse, but it still won't work.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »

Windows Security Essentials is just an Antivirus/Anti Spyware program, no network filtering so try turning off Windows Firewall just in case.
As for the IP Address to use for port forwarding, you'll want to do this on your AHP PC:
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/findaddrwinxp.htm

Those instructions will let you know what your computer's internal network IP address is, this is the one the router has assigned to it.

birdzeye

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »

Windows Security Essentials is just an Antivirus/Anti Spyware program, no network filtering so try turning off Windows Firewall just in case.
As for the IP Address to use for port forwarding, you'll want to do this on your AHP PC:
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/findaddrwinxp.htm

Those instructions will let you know what your computer's internal network IP address is, this is the one the router has assigned to it.

OK I followed those instructions and it showed me my internal network IP address, which is the one I have been using so far when trying to configure port forwarding in my router. I also turned off Windows firewall, but
I still can't connect from a remote computer that's on a different network.

I can connect thru MyHouse between 2 computers that are in my own house, which are both using the same router. And it doesn't seem to matter if Windows Firewall is on or not.

But even after port forwarding ports 80,443,8080&8888 in the router, when I go to a port tester website it shows that these ports refuse a connection, which I don't understand.

If you could help me out with this it would be really great, as I'm at my wits end.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:37 AM »

@birdzeye:
In AHP, have you gone to the MyHouse menu and checked the status? It's connected when you're trying all of the above?
I haven't done any port forwarding on my Netgear router, and when I tell "MyHouse" to connect, it seems to work fine. Keep in mind that this all depends on the X10 MyHouse servers working properly, and they've been known to be flaky sometimes.

If just having remote access was a major concern, you can also try remote management software like TeamViewer, they even have clients available for iPhone/iPad.

birdzeye

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »

@birdzeye:
In AHP, have you gone to the MyHouse menu and checked the status? It's connected when you're trying all of the above?

Yes the status shows it's connected, but only when I'm on computers that are behind the router---any remote computer outside the router can't connect. I'm wondering if the fact that Sympatico does not use static ip addresses has anything to do with this??

If just having remote access was a major concern, you can also try remote management software like TeamViewer, they even have clients available for iPhone/iPad.

Yes, I've tried teamviewer, which works well...but it started nagging me about the fact I'm not supposed to use it for commercial purposes, even though I'm not.
However, I'd really like to be able to use MyHouse! I like that it only connects to AHP, and does not show the entire desktop contents (at least, I don't think it does, does it??)

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:00:10 AM »

@birdzeye
No, it's not the fact that Bell Sympatico doesn't use Static IPs. Even though the IPs are Dynamic, they only change when you disconnect/re-connect to Bell, which will almost never happen on a regular basis. Maybe once a day at the worst typical scenario.

You're right that MyHouse doesn't show the desktop's contents, just AHP. You may want to consult official X10 Technical Support for more assistance with the matter then.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.