Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LED Lamps  (Read 9147 times)

xandfr

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
LED Lamps
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »

hi, i'm new x10 user, i instaled AHP and Dimmable Wall Switch (WS467) on some lamps, i configured the letter and number... works very well... but i instaled LED lamps in my house and i will buy X10 Pro Inductive Dimming Wall Switch (XPDI3) but i don't see the buttons the letters and numbers, how i configure to use with my remote control(HR12A)?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:56:17 PM by xandfr »

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: LED Lamps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »

The House and Unit Code Dials are behind the paddle actuator.
Your users sheet in the box should show you where they are,
You can also find the manuals on the X10Pro web site. In the installations instructions tab.
http://www.x10pro.com/

One other point. The XPDI3 needs a neutral power wire in the switch box. The WS467 didn't use a neutral wire. So make sure you have one where you want to use it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:10:32 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »

but i instaled LED lamps in my house and i will buy X10 Pro Inductive Dimming Wall Switch (XPDI3) but i don't see the buttons the letters and numbers, how i configure to use with my remote control(HR12A)

Thanks
FWIW
What kind of LED lights do you have? If it is the type made up of a bunch of small clear LEDs, they should play well with the XPDI3. But if you have the spot light bulbs with one, two, or three big super LED chips, they may not dim well. They have an internal power supply that may not like the distorted sine wave from the XPDI3. If the bulbs say they are dimmable, everything is cool.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »

Also, some 120V LED lights are major noise sources.  A 4-watt Lumoform 120V LED is the worst noisemaker I have run across.  It even prevented the Leviton switches (which have AGC to deal with noise) on that circuit from working reliably.  All is fine since I isolated it with a XPPF filter.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:00:13 AM »

EarthLED EvoLuxS bulbs are also X10 signal killers.
Noise is the problem. Both on the power line and environmentally. They have a small cooling fan in them and after some use. It gets very noisy and obnoxious.  ::) Directional beam doesn't do much for me either.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »

EarthLED EvoLuxS bulbs are also X10 signal killers.
Noise is the problem. Both on the power line and environmentally.

The most perfect light source... only works between dawn and dusk. I've considered using those "solar light Tubes" mounted on the roof and then piping the sunlight down the back of closets and into my basement. It would be FREE (both cost and noise) light [dawn to dusk] for life. But... they don't work at night.

Trying to artificially flood a room with light [like sun light through a window] has never worked well for me. Even when 150 and 200 watt light bulbs were found in homes... the lighting was crappy. Larger brighter LED's can't solve the problem that big wattage lamps didn't solve. Ineffective lighting methods with efficient new bulbs... remains ineffective. But it isn't the bulbs fault. I use both CFL and LEDs.

I truely believe the trick is to use several very low wattage bulbs.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:47:46 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 11:50:43 AM »

You may also want to look at the X10Pro XPS3 {X10 WS13A} as it has a mechanical relay in it that can control LED Bulbs. Though it is not dimmable.
If your LED bulbs are not dimmable it maybe a much better choice.

evadorev

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 07:50:29 PM »

i dont think you have to use inductive switches for that because led are only and the circuit made for power supply is mostly made of discrete components. I`m sure you can use WS467 for that.

An other concern is the minimum load of the dimmer who will cause to work erratically and generating a lot of noise. typically led are 3-10 watts lamps and the minimum load of the WS 467 is 40 watts. A good practice is to put an incandescent bulb load on the circuit it will help for the dimmer.

The noise is caused by the triac who dont fire properly (random) causing light flickering and noise.

For the house and unit dials on the switch, simply lift the paddle

Hope it will help
Mary had a little lamp, little lamp, controlled by X10 !!!! (kid song!!)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »

Since the WS467 steals power through the load. I highly reccommend you do not use it with a LED bulb. Even a standard light bulb in the circuit may not be enough to smooth things out.

xandfr

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »

I have WS467, i did test with my led lamp... Don't works...
I did test too conected my led lamp in appliance module... Works... I did use appliance module only test!!
I searched a solution and only found XPDI3. "Powerful and flexible X10 Pro Wall Switch is the ideal solution for controlling inductive loads, such as low voltage lighting circuits and ceiling fans."
I use this LED Lamp:

Lamp especification:
- Voltage: 110-220V, 60Hz
- Lumen: 320~360 Lumen
- Color temperature: 5000~6300K
- Good for family illumination and decoration

well, I'll buy XPDI3 and to test... after i post the result.... But i think only next month, becouse i live in Brazil and delay reach. rsrs...

Thanks for all...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »

The 110-220 Volt 60Hz specification indicates it has a switching power supply in it.

Did the description on the sales page for the LED Bulb say you could use it with a dimmer? As it does not look dimmable. With a 110-220 Volt rating.

You maybe OK {no guarantee here} if you keep it at 100%. Using the XPDI3.
Your best and safest bet is to use a switch that does not dim at all. Like the X10Pro XPS3 or X10 WS13A.
The XPS3 or WS13A would be my choice for the LED Bulb you have shown in your post.

Also make sure you have an available Neutral Power connection. Both the XPDI3 and the XPS3/WS13A need a neutral connection to work.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:18:28 AM by Brian H »

xandfr

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »

With WS13A realy i think work, but when i tested with WS467 the dimmer work, but the problem is  that flashes when increases the light. so i want to test... hope to work

tks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »

Yes flashing with a WS467 is normal when you are trying to use it with a LED Light Bulb.
It is a two wire device and steals power through the bulb. That is why an incandescent is fine and bulbs with electronics is not.
Both the XPDI3 and XPS3 use a Neutral power connection along with the Line and Load connections. To get power.

I would again say do not try a dimmer type of switch like the XPDI3 with those bulbs. I found the sales page and it did not say dimmable. Lowering the voltage to it with a dimmer may again result in the bulbs flashing as the power is too low to stay on.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »

I`m sure you can use WS467 for that.

:'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.