Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lights Turn Off but Not On  (Read 8143 times)

rlcohen7

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lights Turn Off but Not On
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »

I have been using AH for many years and just upgraded to AHPro. I have 10 lights controlled by AHP. Six are plugged in to 3 pin appliance modules and 4 are controlled by WS467 wall switches. All work fine turning off and on as programmed except one pair of outside lights controlled by a wall switch. I can turn the lights on and off using the wall switch or a remote but the lights do not go on automatically as scheduled via the TM751. If I turn them on using the wall switch or remote they then turn off automatically as programmed. I have tried everthing I can think of to get the lights to turn on automatically - using a filter on my laptop, disconnecting a second laptop from power, using the repeat command, assigning this module to the same house and unit code as another lamp operating normally, changing the house and unit codes, etc. Nothing works! Occasionally the module icon on AHP switches to  ON at the scheduled time but the lights do not actually go on.

Any help would be appreciated. I am nearly ready to give up and use a mechanical switch/timer for this pair of lights.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
Re: Lights Turn Off but Not On
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »

@rlcohen7;

You mentioned that you have a TM751 Transceiver, but what PC interface are you using if you recently upgraded to AHP?

This will help us determine if there's any funny business going on.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

rlcohen7

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »

The interface is CM15A.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:28 AM »

Sounds like a marginal PLC signal issue.  Maybe you should look into a phase coupler, or try mapping you circuits to be more certain.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

rlcohen7

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:38:52 AM »

I have been using a phase coupler for many years. What do you mean by "mapping" the circuits? The lights that do not work properly are on the same circuit as two others (one using appliance module and one using wall switch) that do work ok.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »

The interface is CM15A.
Here's a very important question. Does the outside light work if you turn it on in AHP?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »

Mapping the circuits to know if the lights not working are on the same phase as the cm15a.

There might be another issue:

A TM751 mixed with a CM15A might be stepping on each other's signals.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

rlcohen7

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »

Yes, I can turn the lights on via AHP. Also as I mentioned the lights that don't turn on automatically are on the very same circuit as two lights that do work ok. They turn on and off as programmed with the timer.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »

A TM751 mixed with a CM15A might be stepping on each other's signals.
Knightrider has a very good point here. You can try temporarily unplugging the TM751 and see if that improves the situation.

If you have an issue with using remote controls after that, you can always modify the CM15A, either using a passive reflector/antenna or an actual antenna replacement. In most cases (like mine) even straightening out a wire coat hanger, cutting it down to 18.5"-19", and taping it beside the CM15A antenna, is enough to make it work around the house.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 04:47:24 PM »

After re-reading the situation, I don't think the '751 is the timer problem.  This is a problem that first reared it's ugly head in version 2.236 and I have a suspicion that the firmware in the cm15a has a small part in it, as the newer software version don't do this with any of my older production units.

The work-around is to create an appliance module on the exact same address as the offending light, and to assign the timer to the appliance module.  The drawback is that you can't set the timer to dim.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

rlcohen7

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 06:12:04 PM »

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. The workaround you suggested seems to have solved the problem. I had an extra appliance module and set it up as you suggested. The lights turned on as scheduled. I don't understand what caused the problem but am grateful that it appears to be solved. I was about to lose the few hairs that I have left over this issue.

I realize that I cannot use two CFLs in these fixtures, but in the past I used one CFL and one incandescent successfully. For the moment, as I was troubleshooting this problem I replaced the CFL with another incandescent. Do you think I can go back to using one incandescent and one CFL in this pair of lights? As these lights are on all night, the CFL is obviously less expensive to operate and longer lasting.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »

Well.......

First of all, I'd never put a CFL in a dimming circuit, no matter if it were paired with a standard bulb.

The appliance module that you physically set up is un-important.  The one you set up in the software is.

But, as you are using the devices, keep the physical unit on the CFL.  X10 does make a non-dimming wall switch, but it requires a neutral wire.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

rlcohen7

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

What did you mean by "keep the physical unit on the CFL?" Also I understand you to say that I did not have to use an actual appliance module for the workaround to function. A virtual one would have been sufficient. Is that correct?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »

Above is correct.

I'd never use a LM [whatever] on a CFL as dimming these is a good way to release "magic smoke".

Appliance modules are good for CFL's.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

rlcohen7

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »

Magic smoke? What's that? I've been using paired CFL + incandescent controlled by a AH switch for several years with no problems. I never try to dim the lights.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.