Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Camera / TV setup  (Read 17774 times)

Squirrel1162

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Camera / TV setup
« on: October 31, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »

I just purchased a Pan-N-Tilt + camera for my X-10 system.  Getting the camera ready was easy.  Now, I just can't figure out how to connect it to my TV set.  I have both RCA and SAMSUNG TV's, both with front and rear jacks (red, white & yellow RCA type).  However, on both sets, my local cable company has connect the box to the back of both sets (1 box per TV).  How do I connect the camera the either of them?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Camera / TV setup
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »

The cable company is using a set of the RCA connections or an RF antenna type 'F' connector?
Is there a second set of RCA jacks on the rear of the TVs you could use?
Or did I read your message incorrectly and you want to route the cameras through the cable boxes?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »

How do I connect the camera the either of them?
Brian asks an important question is the cable box connected to the video input or the RF (antenna) input?
Assuming you do not have RF output on your video receiver:
1. Disconnect cable box and connect camera.
or
2. Get a A-B video switch box (Walmart, Radio Shark, Ebay, etc). Connect cable box to "A" input and camera to "B" input.
or
3. Get a video modulator (Walmart, Radio Shark, Ebay, etc) connect the camera to modulator and set modulator for channnel three or four.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Squirrel1162

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »

I connected a coax cable to a modulator, then to the TV.  Then I connected another cable from the modulator to the X-10 camera receiver.  Then connected the yellow/white leads to their respective outlets on both units.  No other connections were made (no cable company connections, etc.).  I then set the camera house/unit codes to A1.  I also made sure that the modulator and the camera receiver were on channel 3.  Also did the same on channel 4.  Still no video on the TV from the camera.  I have made sure that all connections were tight.  What else can I do/try?  Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »

Can you connect video output from camera receiver directly to video input on TV to test for camera/receiver operation?
Is the camera and receiver on the same channels? This is not the same as the House Code on the ninja power supply.

Squirrel1162

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »

Ideally, I would like to route thru the cable box.  On the camera base, I made sure that it was set on A.  Also made sure that the electric supply unit was set to A1.  Using the modulator, I connected the yellow/white wires to their respective connections on both the receiver and the modulator.  On the modulator, I set the front switch to channel 3.  Next, I installed a coax cable from  the "TO TV" side to the television.  The second cable goes from "ANT IN" to the camera receiver.  When I change to video on the TV, I get a message to "Connect the A/V" jacks.  Once again, I must be missing something.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »

Ideally, I would like to route thru the cable box. 

The second cable goes from "ANT IN" to the camera receiver. 

Unless your cable box has an auxillary video input how will you do that?

If the camera receiver has an "F" connector, as implied above, then you don't need the modulator.

Why don't you use the "video in" connection on the front of the TV. Sounds like you are doing this the hard way.

Squirrel1162

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »

I disconnected EVERYTHING!  Then connected the receiver to the back and then the front of the TV.  I turned the TV to channel 3, and then 4......NOTHING.......any time.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »

Try using the yellow RCA connection on the front of your TV.
Connect directly to the camera receiver and see if your TV has an input selector.
Many TVs video inputs will not display anything on channels 3 or 4 but only by using the input selection and on some models by hitting 00 on their remote.
Are you able to get video this way?
You should be able to leave your cable box connected to the F connector in the rear of the set and hook your x10 camera receiver to the RCA input in the front and switch between the inputs easily.
Maybe there is a chance your camera receiver is defective?

Squirrel1162

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »

Boy!  Do I feel like a real dummy!   I double checked the internal connection of the Ninja base.  I had plugged it in, but not all the way.  Once I did that, I got a camera video on my TV.  Also, I looked on X-10's website and found I only needed 1 cable from the receiver to the TV and no coax.  You were correct.  I was making it more complex than needed.  I apologize for taking up so much of your time.  You really were a big help.  Thanks ever so much.  Who knows?  Maybe one day I can return the favor.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 04:13:14 PM »

It happens to me all the time!  :'
Glad you got it working.  >!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »

... I double checked the internal connection of the Ninja base.  I had plugged it in, but not all the way.  Once I did that, I got a camera video on my TV. 

Even though many people read the threads... that doesn't mean we always feel compelled to post. Often a thread just stops... when the original poster finds the solution... and just never returns to report the solution. When that happens we're all just left hanging. Squirrel1162 Thanks so much for posting and letting everyone know.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »

Yea for Squirrel!!!!!  Thanks for posting back!  Yea, like Dave said!    :)%
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Squirrel1162

! quick question
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »

Thanks again for your help.  Now, one more quick question.  The camera is working great.  The PT do as I have them set up.  My question to you is...How do I keep the video on my TV from flickering?

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »

Do you have anything that runs on the 2.4 ghz range?  Cordless phones, wireless router, etc....  If you do try unplugging those and see if it makes a difference.   If its a router causing the problems most have a channel selection that can be changed, also the cameras and the receiver have channel selectors on them.  Just make sure that the cameras and the receiver on the same channel.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.