Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Switchlinc ramp rate  (Read 4571 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Switchlinc ramp rate
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:52:13 AM »

I know Switchlincs aren't X10 products, but they can do x10 and I know there are some people in this forum that own them...

Anyway, I bought the 3-way kit where they are pre-linked:
http://www.smarthome.com/2494M3/SwitchLinc-3-Way-Dimmer-INSTEON-3-Way-Dimmer-Kit/p.aspx

The ramp rate that is pre-programmed in them is 0.5 seconds, and I want to change them both to 0.1 seconds.

Following the owner's manual, I was able to successfully set the ramp rate to 0.1 seconds on the Primary (load) switch, but it did not work on the secondary (line) switch.

http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=2476D_Manual_%28Rev_5.0%29

I hear there is a remote ramp rate, but not sure if that is what I'm looking for or how to set it with the 3-way kit.

Brandt

Re: Switchlinc ramp rate
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »

Somebody on the Smarthome forum answered this for me:

Dimmers have a local setting (the dim level and ramp rate that occurs when you tap the switch on the device) and link settings (the dim level and ramp rate when a remote device tells it to turn on).

Both local and Link settings are stored in the primary switch. Wait 4 minutes after changing the local level, then repeat the process you just followed to set the ramp rate and dim level, again on the Primary switch. Now, within 4 minutes, turn the Primary on, put the Secondary into link mode (press the Set button for 3 seconds), then put the Primary into link mode (press the set button for 3 seconds). The load should flash and the link should now be associated with the faster setting. Now you should be able to turn the switch on or off from either switch to get the same ramp rate.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »

I saw you post and I am glad you got your needed answer.
Tom is a very knowledgeable person on Insteon. LeeG and a few other also know their stuff.

I am a relay style user and don't have a ramp rate to deal with.

Also my <5.0 hardware is different than the >5.0. One difference is the X10 Scenes where removed and only the X10 Primary Address was kept. Another is the >5.0 SwitchLinc Relay has an Air Gap switch on the set button. The older ones did not and factory reset differently.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:35:40 PM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »

I posted up a follow-up with another problem/question which hasn't been responded to yet. Maybe you know that answer?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »

I see a few added posts over in their forums to your question.
I am BLH over there.
My tests with an X10 only address in both an Icon On/Off and Icon Dimmer Switch. Showed the about one second delay you where seeing with my bedroom SwitchLinc relay with an X10 Primary Address.

Brandt

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »

If you link with insteon does the lag go away?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »

I used two Icon On/Off modules on a test stand. I don't use dimmers and the one I have has the famous bad tact switch syndrome.  ???
Isolated from the power lines with an XPPF.

Factory reset between tests.

Cross linked so each can control the other through Insteon. There is a very slight pause between the controlling switch and the responding switch.  My installed SwitchLinc Relay linked to an ApplianceLinc shows this slight delay also. Probably an Insteon thing. Like fast on and off is a quick tap on the paddle.

X10 addresses only in each one. Definite maybe one second delay between the controlling switch and the responding switch.

X10 address in each one and cross linked Insteon. Slight delay as seen in the Insteon cross linked only.

At one time I think I had an Insteon link in one direction and X10 in both. That resulted in a slow response in the direction not having a Insteon link. Not 100% on this last test.  :'
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:39:33 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.