Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Can't Sleep. Light keeps coming on!  (Read 34336 times)

fleff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Can't Sleep. Light keeps coming on!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »

How close would neighbors need to be? I live on 2 acres.

Finally, when you say, "change the house code", what does that mean? Sorry. I'm an amateaur at this. the x10 system in this house was mostly inherited from the prior owners. Appreciate any help. I nEED SLEEP!!

Frank

Do you share a utility company "pole transformer" with a neighbor.

changing the House Code would eliminate the possibility that your neighbor is controlling your lights.

Don't know if I do or not. I changed the code, and everything seemed to be good for a couple of days. Then....the gremlins came back again. One thing I should add is that this issue is not limited to just the bedroom. The hallway and sometimes the patio lights are also affected. I really need a solution, otherwise I need to unhook the X10 completely.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 09:49:06 AM »

Any new gadgets added recently?
Power use monitor or anything like that?
I have seen posts in some automation forums the TED5000 can be a troublemaker for both X10 and Insteon.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »

Don't know if I do or not. I changed the code, and everything seemed to be good for a couple of days. Then....the gremlins came back again. One thing I should add is that this issue is not limited to just the bedroom. The hallway and sometimes the patio lights are also affected. I really need a solution, otherwise I need to unhook the X10 completely.
Two acres isn't important, whether you are on the same power transformer as neighbors does.

IF you changed your HOUSE CODE on all units and the problems remains, then it probably isn't your neighbors. Does your power flicker or brown out? Both can cause X10 modules to come on.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »

We dont know much about your system you did say it's 10 years old and...
Update: While I'm not ready to shut the door on this case, I think I solved the issue by buying a new bedside control pad for all of $12.95.
Frank

PLC's (PowerLine Commands have to be put on your powerline somehow (since it is random modules it can't be just a bad module or switch). If it was an "eye sensor" somewhere that maked it appear to be random... changing the House code would have fixed that also. Even a defective TM751, lost eye sensor, or a remote in the seat cushions would likely appear to be fixed with a house code change.

So with a new controller, and new house code(s)... I am lost for an idea without more information about what all is part of your setup.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

fleff

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »

We dont know much about your system you did say it's 10 years old and...
Update: While I'm not ready to shut the door on this case, I think I solved the issue by buying a new bedside control pad for all of $12.95.
Frank

PLC's (PowerLine Commands have to be put on your powerline somehow (since it is random modules it can't be just a bad module or switch). If it was an "eye sensor" somewhere that maked it appear to be random... changing the House code would have fixed that also. Even a defective TM751, lost eye sensor, or a remote in the seat cushions would likely appear to be fixed with a house code change.

So with a new controller, and new house code(s)... I am lost for an idea without more information about what all is part of your setup.

My set up is actually very simple. I have one bedside controller, and four modules that operate various lights in the house. Some interior lights, and some exterior. Here is the inventory of modules. All are wall switch variety.

Channel 1: Front and back porch lights
Channel 2: Outside patio lights (2-way switch + a 1-way). The switches are inside
Channel 3: Bedroom (2-way switch)
Channel 4: Hallway (2-way switch)

I also have a plug-in module, a battery operated wall-mounted control pad, and a key fob, but I have not re-programmed any of those to the new code, so they are effectively non-existent.

I'm not sure this helps, but it's really all I have to go on.

Frank

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »

So did you change the house code or not. If so, are the lights still coming on?
BTW in X10 remote control there are no "channels". Do you mean Unit Code?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

fleff

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »

So did you change the house code or not. If so, are the lights still coming on?
BTW in X10 remote control there are no "channels". Do you mean Unit Code?

I did change the house code. Yes, I guess I meant unit code.

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:47 PM »

My set up is actually very simple. I have one bedside controller, and four modules that operate various lights in the house. ............  I also have a plug-in module.........

I will assume (and... I know to never do that) that the additional "plug-in module" must be a TM751... or else you'd never be able to use any of your RF remotes. I would (again I know better) assume it is malfunctioning... and interpreting any signal it receives as an X10 signal and putting that on the line. Try unplugging it.

fleff

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »

My set up is actually very simple. I have one bedside controller, and four modules that operate various lights in the house. ............  I also have a plug-in module.........

I will assume (and... I know to never do that) that the additional "plug-in module" must be a TM751... or else you'd never be able to use any of your RF remotes. I would (again I know better) assume it is malfunctioning... and interpreting any signal it receives as an X10 signal and putting that on the line. Try unplugging it.

OK. This is the first one that actually makes logical sense! It's unplugged (it is a TM751)! I'll let you know if that didn't do the trick. :-) Thanks in advance. Are these things "notorious" for causing this kind of behavior? Is this a known issue? What other kinds of signals might it receive?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 06:29:25 AM »

Let us know if it corrected the problem.
I don't remember seeing anything on the TM751 sending false signals, but have seen things on fixing dead one.
I had a RR501 start doing funny things and traced it to the power supply in it.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 06:47:03 AM »

not to steer this thread in another direction, but do you per chance have cfl's in the sockets?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

fleff

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 07:57:11 AM »

not to steer this thread in another direction, but do you per chance have cfl's in the sockets?

I do...in the hallway. But they've been there for years without any issues.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 08:15:31 AM »

Not too common, but we have seen here and in Insteon related forums. A deteriorating a CFL starting to cause problems.

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »

.......... Are these things "notorious" for causing this kind of behavior? Is this a known issue? What other kinds of signals might it receive?

No. Whatever is happening there is somewhat rare. Generally speaking... most errors or failures with X10 result in failure to turn off. Generally caused a setup with considerable noise or signal absorption problems (often from the very device that refuses to turn off). From time to time a user will have a light or device that refuses to turn on. Noise and/or signal absorption can also cause that as well. But it is also just as likely a phase issue (or signal strength problem)... most of the time. This IS NOT chiseled in stone and is only MY observations.

Almost always.... when a device turns on for no reason... it is a forgotten battery powered "eye" sensor somewhere, or commanly a PalmPad remote in the sofa cushions (again MY observation). I believe an antenna modification on a receiver (like your TM751) can cause errant [PLC] signals as a result of misinterpreted reception. But I am guessing that a TM751 could act as a modified unit if placed near an object that might act as a passive reflector (another antenna, golf club, large metal object). But.. if you have a remote unit sending a signal... removing the TM751 will provide temporary relief as well.

Both Brian H and Knightrider have a very good point about a deteriorating a CFL starting to cause problems as well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:22:12 AM by Dave_x10_L »

fleff

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »

.......... Are these things "notorious" for causing this kind of behavior? Is this a known issue? What other kinds of signals might it receive?

No. Whatever is happening there is somewhat rare. Generally speaking... most errors or failures with X10 result in failure to turn off. Generally caused a setup with considerable noise or signal absorption problems (often from the very device that refuses to turn off). From time to time a user will have a light or device that refuses to turn on. Noise and/or signal absorption can also cause that as well. But it is also just as likely a phase issue (or signal strength problem)... most of the time. This IS NOT chiseled in stone and is only MY observations.

Almost always.... when a device turns on for no reason... it is a forgotten battery powered "eye" sensor somewhere, or commanly a PalmPad remote in the sofa cushions (again MY observation). I believe an antenna modification on a receiver (like your TM751) can cause errant [PLC] signals as a result of misinterpreted reception. But I am guessing that a TM751 could act as a modified unit if placed near an object that might act as a passive reflector (another antenna, golf club, large metal object). But.. if you have a remote unit sending a signal... removing the TM751 will provide temporary relief as well.

Both Brian H and Knightrider have a very good point about a deteriorating a CFL starting to cause problems as well.

New update: The TM751 is now unplugged. The desktop controller is also unplugged. The lights are still coming on. Seems to happen more at night. Next step is to rip it all out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.