Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Can't Sleep. Light keeps coming on!  (Read 34341 times)

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Can't Sleep. Light keeps coming on!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »

Hi Frank,
I see the frustration level is at max. Might I suggest, since you're about to 'rip it all out', go ahead and do that.
All except for one X10 controlled light; the one most toyed with by the gremlins. Take the batteries out of all
remotes, keyfobs, etc...anything that can generate an X10 signal - totally disable them. Watch that single light for
a day or two and see what happens. Oh, and make sure that single light has an incand. bulb in it while running
this test. I'm a fan of the K.I.S.S. method when troubleshooting. Don't give up!
Let us know and good luck.
Afterthought:
That incand. bulb...make it a little 25 watt'r so if it does come on, it'll be less intrusive during REM :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:22:49 AM by troll334 »
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

fleff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »

Hi Frank,
I see the frustration level is at max. Might I suggest, since you're about to 'rip it all out', go ahead and do that.
All except for one X10 controlled light; the one most toyed with by the gremlins. Take the batteries out of all
remotes, keyfobs, etc...anything that can generate an X10 signal - totally disable them. Watch that single light for
a day or two and see what happens. Oh, and make sure that single light has an incand. bulb in it while running
this test. I'm a fan of the K.I.S.S. method when troubleshooting. Don't give up!
Let us know and good luck.
Afterthought:
That incand. bulb...make it a little 25 watt'r so if it does come on, it'll be less intrusive during REM :)

Yeah, this is actually what I was going to try next. I have a question, though. With the TM751 unplugged, wouldn't a key fob and remote panel be useless anyway? Also, if I disable (slide the little switch to the left) my CF hall lights, is that the same as ripping it all out?

Frank

troll334

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:36 AM »

Yes to the first question. Assuming you've got nothing else converting RF to PLC's.
To the next question, I wouldn't assume. It's possible an X10 device, thought to be disabled, could be malfunctioning
and sending data across the powerlines. If you want to be certain, go through the pain and take it out of the equation.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 10:25:15 AM »

Also, if I disable (slide the little switch to the left) my CF hall lights, is that the same as ripping it all out?
Yes, it is the same as removing it from the system. The slide switch is a safety disconnect and it completely disconnects the power in the switch. 
BTW I scanned this thread but did not find the model of your wall swtches. Since you mention the slide switch I assume they are X10 either two or three wire (neutral, hot, load). None of the X10 [wired] switches are transmitters.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »

When we first moved in here we had a problem with one type of Leviton dimmer occasionally switching on by itself.  They are rocker-switch dimmers with a LED light bar showing the current setting.  They are not X10 controlled.  There are a total of five in bedrooms and master bath.  They would go on at random times always in pairs.  There was no pattern to which two would switch on.  The fact that they switched on in pairs on different circuits indicates they were responding to something on the powerline.  And interestingly, while this occurred maybe once or twice a month for about a year, the problem eventually went away.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

fleff

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 08:57:11 AM »

Also, if I disable (slide the little switch to the left) my CF hall lights, is that the same as ripping it all out?
Yes, it is the same as removing it from the system. The slide switch is a safety disconnect and it completely disconnects the power in the switch. 
BTW I scanned this thread but did not find the model of your wall swtches. Since you mention the slide switch I assume they are X10 either two or three wire (neutral, hot, load). None of the X10 [wired] switches are transmitters.

OK. With all modules turned off I left only the one in the bedroom on and it is still coming on uncommanded. WHat do I do?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »

Reading through this thread, I'm not sure whether you changed the housecode or unit code.  If you haven't changed the lettered housecode (A-P) to something else (not M), try that first.

If you already did that and it didn't help, then something on the powerline is causing that switch to go on.  I have a set of 4 CFLs in my office/lab that I use for testing.  They generate a lot of powerline noise, and the noise sums together in random patterns that almost looks like X10 signals.  While they normally just block X10 traffic, I have seen them morph one X10 command into another.  So, be sure that any CFLs or other potential noisemakers (such as small wall-wart power supplies) are isolated with filters or unplugged.

Lastly, if you have some means of logging X10 traffic through your X10 controller, then go through that log and see if there are any logged commands around the time that light switches on.  Both the CM11A and the CM15A include the ability to log X10 traffic as a text file on the PC.

Jeff

fleff

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 08:17:31 AM »

Reading through this thread, I'm not sure whether you changed the housecode or unit code.  If you haven't changed the lettered housecode (A-P) to something else (not M), try that first.

If you already did that and it didn't help, then something on the powerline is causing that switch to go on.  I have a set of 4 CFLs in my office/lab that I use for testing.  They generate a lot of powerline noise, and the noise sums together in random patterns that almost looks like X10 signals.  While they normally just block X10 traffic, I have seen them morph one X10 command into another.  So, be sure that any CFLs or other potential noisemakers (such as small wall-wart power supplies) are isolated with filters or unplugged.

Lastly, if you have some means of logging X10 traffic through your X10 controller, then go through that log and see if there are any logged commands around the time that light switches on.  Both the CM11A and the CM15A include the ability to log X10 traffic as a text file on the PC.

Jeff

Jeff,

I did change both the house and unit codes to no avail. To try to isolate the issue, I turned off all wall modules (that's all I have) with the exception of the bedroom. In other words, the only thing on line was that one room, and the lights still came on. SO it's got to be some other appliance/light in the house...I think. However, at this point, I have no idea what it could be or how to begin to track it down. You mention logging in your post. Does that mean that there's a PC program somewhere that could help track this down?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 08:58:46 AM »

You mention logging in your post. Does that mean that there's a PC program somewhere that could help track this down?

The logging is a feature of the CM11A and CM15A controllers.  They can create a log file on an attached PC.

Jeff

troll334

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »

Hey Frank,
whew... so, you've disconnected ALL X10 equipment and removed ALL batteries from ALL X10 battery-powered
devices...? And I mean everything.
You've left only the one 'module' controlling one lamp plugged in. You've changed his housecode to something you've
never used before.
And the gremlins are still flicking on that single lamp?
I have ZERO experience with wall switches. I trust the guys on the forum when they say the 'slide switch' disables
the device. I would prefer that you completely disconnect the switches; as much of a pain as it is...
On your next reply, I'd love it if you would list your devices again but with X10 model numbers. A great time to take
inventory anyway since we're gonna get this working and you will be building your X10 installation even bigger :)
thanks for your patience. I know....
mike

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »

Slide switch unless broken. Disconnects the power to the WS467 switch.
It is a safety feature since power is taken through the bulb. If you where changing the bulb you could get a shock. If not turned off.

fleff

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »

Hey Frank,
whew... so, you've disconnected ALL X10 equipment and removed ALL batteries from ALL X10 battery-powered
devices...? And I mean everything.
You've left only the one 'module' controlling one lamp plugged in. You've changed his housecode to something you've
never used before.
And the gremlins are still flicking on that single lamp?
I have ZERO experience with wall switches. I trust the guys on the forum when they say the 'slide switch' disables
the device. I would prefer that you completely disconnect the switches; as much of a pain as it is...
On your next reply, I'd love it if you would list your devices again but with X10 model numbers. A great time to take
inventory anyway since we're gonna get this working and you will be building your X10 installation even bigger :)
thanks for your patience. I know....
mike

Clarification question: I did not, when performing this test, remove batteries from my key fob and my remote wall mounted panel. I did, however, unplug the TM751 transceiver module. Do you think it's possible that one of the gremlins could be one of the tiny battery operated devices? Even with the TM751 out of the picture? I need to add that the gremlins will randomly affect 1 of 3 rooms, all of which are controlled by wall switches. This makes me think that it's NOT the wall modules, but rather some other thing in the house.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »

If the TM751 is the only X10 RF signal receiver and it was unplugged. Then the remotes and wireless wall switches should not be able to control anything.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:34:15 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »

fleff,

Is the bedroom light coming on randomly or is it the roughly the same time every day?

Although this should not cause the bulb to come on in a two wire wall switch fixture, but I'm going to ask anyway. Did you check the bulb in the fixture for tightness?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

fleff

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »

fleff,

Is the bedroom light coming on randomly or is it the roughly the same time every day?

Although this should not cause the bulb to come on in a two wire wall switch fixture, but I'm going to ask anyway. Did you check the bulb in the fixture for tightness?

Hi, yes, it's random. It's also not restricted to this one room. The hallway (also 2-way switch) behaves in the same manner, as do my patio lights. That one is just a single switch. I've tried to ascertain a pattern as well as to think what else might be happening at the same time, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation that I can ascertain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.