Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Few Problems  (Read 7561 times)

redidbull

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
A Few Problems
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »

I really love the idea of the automated house but I have had a few problems getting everything to work. One thing I never got working was the Eagle Eye with the chime for my driveway. I thought, and posted, that the aluminum siding was the problem and moved it around to the window, concrete foundation nothing worked. Tried many codes. Problem #2 is I have a TM751 that just loves to click and click and click. Tried numerous outlets with the same problem. I have not tried to change house codes. Lastly the outside spotlights on the wall switch dimmer go on and off at will. I push the button they come on. Then while I am outside they go off then randomly back on. I am trying to get my Wife on board with the X10 stuff but with these problems it isn't easy. She already wants the rear spotlights put on a traditional switch which defeats the purpose of being able to turn the lights on from the upstairs bedroom. Thanks for any advice. Jim

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: A Few Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »

Jim, we would probably need a lot more info to help you.  What transceiver are you using? (cm19 I presume since your using a tm751)  What house and unit codes do you have your motion sensor, floodlights and all other modules on?  Try not to use house code "A" as a lot of modules revert to "A1" when the batteries are failing.  Meaning if your tm751 clicks all the time it might be a motion sensor with failing batteries.  Also if you have lights that are on "A1" then those would come on and go off when the motion sensor fires on then sends the off later.

I believe I read somewhere on this forum that motion sensors don't work through windows, somebody jump in here if I'm mistaken.

What version of AHP are you using?  Or are you using any software?

Also how far are the modules from the transceiver? (cm19, cm15, or tm751)  If you are using the cm19 good luck.  The range on the cm19 is pathetic.  I call this a one room transceiver because thats about as far as it can reach.  Which means everything I would use it for would have to be in one room.  Just give us a little more info and we'll be glad to help you out.    :)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

redidbull

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:33:43 PM »

Thank you. I will get more details of exactly what I am using. I do have a motion sensor that is just lying there. I will take the batteries out of it. I believe I have a cm-15. I am currently running the system with out Active Home because I had a computer crash and I have put in a request for a copy. The driveway sensor set up I have is this. http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc546_driveway_si.html Thanks. jim

redidbull

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:29:51 AM »

I took the batteries out of the sensor and that may have been it for the outside lights. I didn't have time to do any of the other stuff last night but will no later than the weekend. Thanks. Jim

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »

I believe I read somewhere on this forum that motion sensors don't work through windows, somebody jump in here if I'm mistaken.
You are correct. Motion sensors are sensitive to moving heat, in the form of infrared light. Window glass filters out most of the infrared light.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »

Hey Jim,
Wife-on-board...? You'll have better luck getting all this X10 stuff working. rofl
Anyway, not sure where your motion sensors are...outside the window, inside the window looking out...? Here's what I've
found. An MS14A outside the hurricane-resistant metal garage door (attached right to it) likely will not work unless your
receiver (tm751, cm15, etc.) is right on the other side. Through concrete then through two interior walls, no problem.
MS14A double-stick taped to the glass of a window (outside) is no problem, generally. I have found that my UV window
tint might have some metal in it..? Slight signal degradation there. As well, if I place the MS14A close to the corner of
the window, I have trouble. That's likely due to the alarm-system tape on the perimeter of the window. Anything metal
will have an affect on the RF transmission properties of the MS14A. Oh, the guys are right. An MS14A inside looking out
a glass window just doesn't work. I wound up attaching my outside MS14A's to single-gang PLASTIC outlet boxes then
screwing those into the soffit. It's a natural...My soffit is at 20 degrees so the MS14 doesn't look to far out and trip
when folks pass by on the sidewalk. I'm just about ready to tuck a double 'C' battery holder inside the PLASTIC electrical
boxes to give my MS14s well over a year of runtime before needing to change batts. The other extra is that, tucked
under the soffit, they don't get that heat from the sun nor do they 'see' the moving tree branches and false.
I did purchase the V572RF32 to guarantee I'd 'hear' the remote sensors at the edge of the property. Works every time.
good luck,
mike
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »

Troll
Does V572RF32 work with X10? I was told by Smarthome that it is not compatible with AHP. So how are you using it and what modules are you using to work with V572RF32.

IPS

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »

The V572RF32 is an all House Code Unit Code transceiver.
It can also map a Security Code from the Security Sensors to a standard X10 code.
So you could use one to map a security sensor signal to a standard X10 address that AHP could use.
http://www.wgldesigns.com/v572.html

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »

Hey IPS,
Allow me to expand a bit on Brian's response. The V572RF32 will hear the RF (radio) signals from any X10 device that sends RF out. This includes remotes small and
large, cheap and expensive, as well as the XXXeye infrared sensors. The V572 seems to have a very sensitive and selective UHF receiver and has not failed me
yet. It will hear all 16 House Codes and 16 Unit Codes. You can program it to ignore house codes if you're getting interference from someone else's X10
transmissions. When it hears a HC/UC transmission from, say, an MS14a EagleEye, it transfers that data to the powerline using yet another little box that plugs
into it and into a wall socket. From there, it's a standard X10 powerline command. AHP will get the PLC and trigger an event based on that HC/UC On/Off command.
Normally, when you look at the AHP activity log, you'll see those 'Receive RF' entries from motion sensors, remotes, etc. When the V572 relays it to the powerline
as opposed to the CM15A hearing it directly, it will show up as 'Receive' in the AHP log since AHP received it as a PLC rather than hearing it over the air.
Now, you will have to place the V572 in a location that can hear all of your RF-based X10 sensors. If you have dead-zones where the V572 just can't seem to
pick up those signals, you'll have to consider an RR501 to pick up that lone wolf. Unless you've got a really dirty RF environment, the V572 will work just fine all
by itself - I'm betting.
does that help a bit?
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »

Thanks Troll. It is of great HELP. I like your explanation. It is simple and to the point.
Thanks again.

IPS

redidbull

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »

Thanks all. I have been doing some work on the system and got my Active home software working. I am going to switch the entire system to another home code and see if everything becomes more stable. I want to do some work getting the motion stuff to work as a door bell. I also have a camera that I am going to mount and try to get working so I can view it online. Last time I tried that the X10 site for viewing the camera didn't work and I needed to go with a 3rd party software that my work network didn't like. It kinda defeated the problem of watching the house. Thanks again. Jim

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.