Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Remote control to turn lights on/off and what range?  (Read 18495 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Remote control to turn lights on/off and what range?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »

Yes the SmartLinc is mostly Insteon, but also does X10.
It connects to a router for its network connection.
It may not be what want to use.
If you care to look at the manual.
http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=SmartLinc_-_INSTEON_Central_Controller_Owner%27s_Manual_%28v2.0%2B%29#X10_Control_Page

watson524

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »

Ok I might be missing something but in the CM15A instructions, I'm not seeing how you can set it up with the computer and then be able to access it remotely via say an iPhone (but not just an iPhone, any internet connected phone since I don't know what my mother might get in the future and my husband has a blackberry we might want to use). I don't want to set things on a specific timer. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:35:28 PM by watson524 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »

You are correct. For remote access. A computer running AHP would be needed.
I believe the Active Phone Software addition would also be needed.

watson524

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »

Ok so then it sounds like the CM15A won't work for me because I don't want to have to leave a computer on for it to work. Mom only has a laptop and if that's at work with her there's no computer left in the house to control things. Looks like the Smartlinc for Insteon might be my only option.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »

The only other thing I can think of and didn't see it mentioned in the thread.
Is the TR16A. Touch Tone Responder.
Connects to the phone line and answers the phone.
You then use touch tones to input the three digit security code and then can control the House Code it is set to and I believe Units 1-10.
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/tr16a-om.pdf

The Smartlinc wiki page link I gave you will show how it works and is used.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:02:53 PM by Brian H »

watson524

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »

Dave W actually had mentioned that before but it sounds pretty kludgy. I think I'm going to look into the SmartLinc since that seems to be the cleanest option. Just put in the 3 X10 switches and the phase coupler and then the smartlink into the existing router and the wall and see what happens. I verified that it doesn't need a static IP on the router from the ISP so in theory, it should be pretty clean and "should" work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 01:10:07 PM »

Sounds like you have a plan.
Let us know how it works.
Right now they are having some Extended Black Friday discounts, like most vendors. You maybe able to take advantage of.

watson524

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »

Will keep you posted. Likely won't know for a few weeks if it's a Christmas present but I might try the smartlinc at my house first since I already have outlets, lamplincs and a switch along with a phase coupler.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »

The Driveway Patrol claims a 400 foot range while the alert says 200 feet.

Some of the pricier units claim ranges as much as half a mile.

In case anyone DOES need a longer range unit, I can attest to Chamberlain's model  'driveway alert'

http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CWA2000-Wireless-Motion-Alert/dp/B002ISVJL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290903248&sr=8-1

claiming 1/2 mile range is probably accurate in clear space.  I have one unit about 1/3 mile from receiver and it works consistently - thru heavy woods to the house.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:49:57 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »

In case anyone DOES need a longer range unit, I can attest to Chamberlain's model  'driveway alert'
http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CWA2000-Wireless-Motion-Alert/dp/B002ISVJL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290903248&sr=8-1
claiming 1/2 mile range is probably accurate in clear space.  I have one unit about 1/3 mile from receiver and it works consistently - thru heavy woods to the house.

mike THANKS for the info!!!! according to this link the Receiver features sound control & has an output to trigger external alarms or bells which would mean it can also connect to a Powerflash unit as well. That would make the the lights come on automatically.

Whereas this would be my choice... many prefer the actual control (albeit remote) instead of the automatic process.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 07:07:13 AM »

mike THANKS for the info!!!! according to this link the Receiver features sound control & has an output to trigger external alarms or bells

Dave,  this is their OLD model and the mfgr does not sell it anymore I dont believe, although there do seem to be a lot of them out there at places like amazon.  Yes, it had 1 normally open contact output rated 10 amps but range is half of the  new one - says 1200ft - I got about 800 max thru heavy trees.  Unfortunately their new one with 1/2mile range does not have the relay output, although it would be pretty easy to modify and add it.

rbyrd

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

I often find that people think they only need lights on when they are out and turn them off when they go to bed, for the little bit of money saved,  you loose the ability to see any one who may be lurking around you property, needless to say if a police fire or ambulance needs to find your house at night. What I have done is, I have wall sconces with 3 candle opera base sockets in them.  The sconces have motion detectors on them already.  I rewired the fixtures so that 1 light from each sconce is wired to an PLW01. I use a 40 watt halogen lamp, which  allows me to dim the lights that give me my “Glow” just enough light to see what's going on and find my way through my yard when leaving for a fire call or other emergency in the night.  The remaining 2 lamps which have LED lamps in them are powered by an XPSS module.  The internal motion sensors in the sconces have a trigger wire so if one goes on they all go on.  This lights up my property as soon as some one pulls in the driveway  or motion is detected in any of the fixtures. I also can trigger this from a remote in the house using a PUMO1 and  controlled my a macro, that will latch the light on or for a pre set time.  All of the Macros and Timers are controlled by a active home pro CM15A.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.