Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery Life  (Read 19754 times)

pctvman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Battery Life
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:18:23 PM »

I understand you could reduce the backlight levels on the older iconremotes.  Can you do it on the nstinct, the sceensaver time slider method is just frustrating, especially if your are new to the remote.  It goes off while I'm "thinking" ...  First set of batteries didn't make it a week, I admit that I'm not sure how old they may have been or even if the were unused, although they were name brand alkaline.  I think I'll be using Ni-MH's.

So far I've been very impressed with the Nstinct.  Punchthough is great
The two, I ordered were delivered in just over a week, although straight US Post Office delivery likely would have been faster than Fed-EX Smartpost.

Hope the battery life improves, I understand learning, setup, memory saves, burn up the juice.  I found the posts on battery life for the other iconremotes very informative...   Sounds like sanyo AA Ni-MH are the way to go. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Battery Life
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »

I understand you could reduce the backlight levels on the older iconremotes. 
If you can, it must be only on the IR10. I have early beta version of the IR27 and only screen backlight delay can be changed.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »

My beta IR10 and production IR10 Icon Remotes. Also only have the time on delay slider.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »

The Sanyo Eneloop NiMH rechargables last 4 to 6 months in my beta unit before they have to be recharged.  Of course, it depends on how much use it gets.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:37:31 AM »

Are there any major stores that sell the Eneloops? Or do you have to order them online?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »

Are there any major stores that sell the Eneloops? Or do you have to order them online?

Costco has them packaged with a charger, and I've also bought them from Amazon.

Jeff

em745

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »

Actually, Eneloops are a lot easier to find in stores than many people think.  ;) Just get one of these Eneloop rebrands:

- Duracell "Precharged" (a.k.a. "Duraloops") *
- Sony CycleEnergy
- "PC" President's Choice (Canada)

Just make sure that 1. they're 2,000 mAh (and not 2,100 or 2,200, etc.), 2. they're made in Japan (!!), and 3. they have a WHITE insulator around the "button" (+) end (*there are "black top" Duracells out there--those are NOT Eneloops).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:25:55 PM by em745 »

Brandt

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 12:36:02 AM »

why would one want less mAh? I thought that meant they last longer...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 06:42:54 AM »

I am thinking the relabeled ones could be from varied manufacturers. The 2000mAh was Eneloop and the 2100 and 2200 mAh where not Eneloop brand.

em745

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 07:25:24 AM »

why would one want less mAh? I thought that meant they last longer...
A higher mAh number isn't everything, and often times those higher capacity batteries don't live up to their labeling when tested.

Eneloops are simply the best rechargeable (NiMH) batteries you can buy, period. They've been around for several years now and have been tested ad nauseam by us tech geeks in the flashlight and digicam communities.

I am thinking the relabeled ones could be from varied manufacturers. The 2000mAh was Eneloop and the 2100 and 2200 mAh where not Eneloop brand.
There are only a few manufacturers of LSD (low self-discharge) rechargeables, and Sanyo is one of them. If an LSD battery is made in Japan, is rated at 2,000 mAh and has a white top (+), you can be 99.9% sure it's an Eneloop rebrand. The three I've listed above have been confirmed as legit rebrands for a while now.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:27:08 AM by em745 »

Brandt

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »

Actually, Eneloops are a lot easier to find in stores than many people think.  ;) Just get one of these Eneloop rebrands:

- Duracell "Precharged" (a.k.a. "Duraloops") *
- Sony CycleEnergy
- "PC" President's Choice (Canada)

Just make sure that 1. they're 2,000 mAh (and not 2,100 or 2,200, etc.), 2. they're made in Japan (!!), and 3. they have a WHITE insulator around the "button" (+) end (*there are "black top" Duracells out there--those are NOT Eneloops).

I saw some Sony CycleEnergy's at Fry's and they were 2500mAh made in China, so I passed them up....

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »

A higher mAh number isn't everything, and often times those higher capacity batteries don't live up to their labeling when tested.

It really depends on the application.  Sanyo makes the Eneloop and also a much higher capacity 2700 mAh AA cell.  The Eneloop has a very low self discharge, which makes them perfect for applications with intermittent use, such as digital cameras and remote controls.  I use the 2700 mAh in my GPS.  They will self discharge significantly in a few weeks, but for short term high-current use, they can't be beat.  I just give them a topping off charge a few hours before hitting the trail, and the GPS will run all day.

FYI - my La Crosse charger confirmed the Eneloop cells run between 1900 and 2000 mAh.

Jeff

Brandt

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »

Do you recommend the eneloops for DS10a's, MS10a's, MS14a's, Palm Pads, ...?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 11:13:31 PM »

Do you recommend the eneloops for DS10a's, MS10a's, MS14a's, Palm Pads, ...?

Certainly in PalmPads because the batteries are easy to swap.  Batteries in the other units are not as easy to change, and you should go with the longest life cells you can find.  The last time I did a survey, primary lithium or high quality alkaline cells were still the best for low drain long life applications.

Jeff

Brandt

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 02:25:18 PM »

Sounds like the new Nickel Zinc (NiZn) batteries are the way to go!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.