Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "All Lights On' with CFL's  (Read 9111 times)

cajunfries

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
"All Lights On' with CFL's
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:53 PM »

Hi Guys,
Newbie here, but been fooling with X10 off and on for longer than you want to know.  I've been updating most of my incandescent bulbs in the house with CFL's (fluorescents), then started adding X10 modules everywhere. I really want to be able to utilize the "All Lights On" option of my controller in case of a late night break-in or home invasion, but I'm sure everyone knows the fluorescent rules & regs.  Is there a lamp-type module (plug-in preferred over wall) that will handle CFL's but also respond to the "All Lights On" command?  (Thanks)

george536

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: "All Lights On' with CFL's
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »

from what ived read i dont think there is, most of my lights are cfls turned on by xps3s which will do all lights on.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:15:10 AM »

The default Appliance Modules from X10 that are commonly used to control CFLs are not Lamp Modules, therefore they do not respond to "All Lights On".

Solution?
If you're using ActiveHome Pro, you can set up a Macro to turn on all the units you want with a button press. Just dedicate a Unit Code to this macro, and when you build it in AHP, include all the items, lights or not, that you'll want to turn on, should something happen. Then you can have this triggered by, say, Unit 8 on a plug-in controller, or a remote.

Press the button, the macro sees it, turns on the lights you've programmed - profit!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:27:09 PM by anthonylavado »
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:06:13 AM »

Sorry there is no All Units On command.
Only All Lights On, All Lights Off and All Units Off.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »

Sorry there is no All Units On command.
Only All Lights On, All Lights Off and All Units Off.
Right! I forgot. Re-reading it now, it was late and I was tired. The rarely used (possibly only a rumor) command is "All Lights Off".
There's no All Units On for safety reasons. What if you turned on something you weren't supposed to? You could start a fire, or something else serious.
Regardless, set up a macro and give it a run for it's money! :)
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »

Is there a lamp-type module (plug-in preferred over wall) that will handle CFL's but also respond to the "All Lights On" command?  (Thanks)
There is no two wire wall switches which will control CFL.
You might be able to use dimable CFLs with a X10 (XPI3) or Smarthome incandescent wall switch that requires a neutral connection.

Anyone on the forum know if a X10 Lamp Module and a dimable CFL will "play nice" ? Also you might call SmartHome to find out if their "LampLinc" plug-in lamp module will control dimable CFLs.

Using the Smart Home LampLinc you could program a 1/10 second ramp rate which *may* keep a standard CFL happy until you accidentally dim it, but you do this at your own risk.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:51:26 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »

I will try some tests on LampLincs and Icon versions of them and see if I can find out anything.
Probably tomorrow as my power is still flickering on and off from some storms.

cajunfries

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.  I do not have ActiveHome (and don't intend to get it as the cost for a Mac version is outrageous to me!).  I've looked at dimmable CFL's and the cost is so high that it sorta negates the purpose.  I do have X10 wall switches that handle CFL's, but I need a module that I can use with a floor lamp.  Oh, well, thanks anyway...  (odd they haven't addressed this issue with the popularity of CFL's)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »

(odd they haven't addressed this issue with the popularity of CFL's)
They did.   In typical X10 fashion. They modified the Appliance Module for CFLs because it was a lot easier and cheaper than modding a Lamp Module. The fact that "All Lights On" no longer works was not important.

I must be brain dead for not having thought of this before, but what about a Socket Rocket? It can't dim so standard CFLs work fine, and it responds to "All Lights On". I have a torchier with Socket Rocket and three CFLs The CFLs are plugged into extension cord plugged into SR (lots of adaptors). The torchier is high enough that you can not see the wiring mess (well maybe I am short enough that I don't see the wiring mess )   :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »

The new soft start lamp modules really drive a CFL crazy.
Dimmables are mostly OK on them.

I also thought of a LM15A Socket Rocket. So dave w we must be on a similar thought pattern today.
You wiring must be hidden enough for WAF being acceptable.  ;D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.