Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NStinct with RE549  (Read 9629 times)

ThatOneGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
NStinct with RE549
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:39:13 PM »

So I've followed all of the steps on this page:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Using_the_iconRemote_RF_With_The_Remote_RF_Receiver

My devices have the RF signal over their icon.

I can use a camera to see that the RE549 is sending out IR codes, but it isn't being picked up by my stereo (Onkyo TX-SR607) or my cable box (Verizon FIOS - Magnavox) on a consistent basis.  If I hold down the button on my remote for about 3 seconds it will pick it up (as a single press) on my cable box, but as you can imagine that's not going to fly.  I've tried holding it 2 inches away from the IR detector to across the room and everything in the middle.  I can't get my stereo to respond at all.  The remote works fine by itself.

I'm trying to replace an older One For All remote w/ RF IR Repeater (which I unplugged) which had no problems with (other than being out of date and not having codes for newer devices) so I don't suspect any interference issues in the room.

Firmware: MUS0AUSS1DU4-06/10/10-1

I'm a little disappointed that the RE549 didn't come with the extended IR emitter since some of the marketing makes it seem like it does you have to do quite a bit of digging to find out it doesn't... but that's not a big deal until I can get this working.

Any help/suggestions?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: NStinct with RE549
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:21:28 AM »

The RX569 is the optional extender. If you get the remote to do what is needed.
http://www.x10.com/whatsincluded/RX569-2.html

ThatOneGuy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:44:40 AM »

Brian, thank you for your advice.  I have marked it as "Helpful" :)

Unfortunately when I called customer service (after 30 minutes of waiting on hold before getting to talk to somebody) they think that it might be a defective RE549 unit.  I was also having problems with some of the regular X10 stuff because of the wiring in my house (worked on some outlets, but not any near my entertainment center where I needed them, I am not willing to invest more time into figuring it out... it just wasn't that important to me). They were unable to tell me how much of a credit I would get for a partial return of the "package deal" I purchased would be.  I asked for clarification since the remote and extender were $X price and the package I got was $Y price being the package $X plus extra items, why not give me $Y - $X (- free shipping code discount would even be acceptable).  The person on the other end just snapped back at me that they were unable to tell me how much of a refund I would get until it was processed as a partial return.  I explained that I did not find that acceptable and would like an RMA for the entire purchase and the person said "Ok, you will receive it in your email, goodbye *click*"...  :o

This truly is a shame since if the product had worked better OR the customer service was even halfway acceptable then I know a few people that were waiting to hear about my experience in hopes of it not being "too good to be true".  The remote was acceptable, maybe even exceptional for the price, the repeater may have been replaceable and I may have been a happy X10 customer for years to come...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:04:18 AM »

Thank you for the update and helpful.
Sorry your experience was not a productive one.

baberlevi

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »

I am having the same problem about the RE549 not working consistently & having to hold down the button & press it multiple times.

I am only about 20 feet away from the RE549 using an Icon Remote.  The RE549 is inside a wooden cabinet.

Any suggestions? Or do I just have a bad RE549?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:20:35 AM »

The RE549 has a red received command LED in it.
Can you observe it and see if it is consistently receiving the RF from the Nstinct or missing commands.
That may assist in finding an answer.

Is the face of the RE549 facing the devices you want to IR control or are you using the optional RX569 IR Extender?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:27:45 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »

Well I am not too sure if this has any bearing on the RF problems with the IR34A NStinct Remotes.
I looked at the internal photos of the remote. The X10 and IR Transmitter Antennas are a piece of wire. Running from the front of the remote along the sides. Towards the rear. With the shorter 418MHz one on the left side when being held in its normal position.

I would say when you are holding it. Your hand would be in parallel to both the X10 and IR Extender Transmitters antennas.

Modifying the RF pattern. Could be.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:51:51 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.