Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Issues with CM15A and WS467  (Read 3328 times)

silversurfer_c6

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Issues with CM15A and WS467
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »

Hi there,

I'm new on this forum but a veteran to X10.  Here is my dilemma.  I am running Activehome Pro version 3.301 om a PC running Windows XPP. We moved into an older home which was fully reno'd.  The WS467 module is actually shunted to  wall outlet on the opposite wall in the entrance of the house.  The purpose of this WS467 is to turn on the lights over the front door and garage of the house.  Now I seem to control the module perfectly from the PC so turning off and on is no issue.  The CM15A does turn the lights off at 03:00 as programmed but cannot seem to turn them on.  The older software had a burst mode but this one doesn't.  Also, I am using normal incandescent bulbs in the two fixtures.  Each are 100 watts and the unit is rated at 500 watts. 

Could it be my location?  Should I try and relocate the CM15A? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Pierre
Toronto

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Issues with CM15A and WS467
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »

Now I seem to control the module perfectly from the PC so turning off and on is no issue.  The CM15A does turn the lights off at 03:00 as programmed but cannot seem to turn them on.  

If you can control ON and OFF function with the PC which is through the CM15A, then no, relocating the CM15A will not fix the problem. This sounds like a timer issue which is a common question on the forum. Try searching for Timer" and "WS467". I know redefining the WS467A as a LM14A works if the WS467 is the newer model that has SoftStart.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

silversurfer_c6

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »

It is a newer WS467 with soft start as I noticed it dims up and down at start up and shut down.  I'll try redefining it.

silversurfer_c6

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »

Now I seem to control the module perfectly from the PC so turning off and on is no issue.  The CM15A does turn the lights off at 03:00 as programmed but cannot seem to turn them on.  

If you can control ON and OFF function with the PC which is through the CM15A, then no, relocating the CM15A will not fix the problem. This sounds like a timer issue which is a common question on the forum. Try searching for Timer" and "WS467". I know redefining the WS467A as a LM14A works if the WS467 is the newer model that has SoftStart.

Dave W, YOU ROCK!  Problem solved.  Thank you sir.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »

A-a-a-w shucks, weren't nothin.

Simply one of the many problems caused by X10 redesigning modules and not changing the module model number. X10 could have fixed their mistake by creating two of each dimming module, one "original" and one with "SoftStart" in the AHP module database. Or at minimum mention it in the switch instructions. Instead they leave it to the Wiki and the forum to carry their water.   :'

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »

It isn't too late for them to make a change to AHP, though.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »

rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl   rofl

snort, chortle, gasp.... Oh golly, it hurts to laugh that hard!  ...wheeze, cough.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:42:20 PM by dave w »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:46 PM »

It isn't too late for them to make a change to AHP, though.

Let me rephrase that:

Now that they actually have developers on the payroll again, it isn't outside the realm of possibility for them to make a change to AHP to account for the two very different switches with the same model number.
Perhaps they can even put in some sort of "test" routine, making it easy to identify them. For example, you tell it to test switch A6, and it cycles through both ramping up, and full on commands. You then tell it if the light dimmed up, or came on at full brightness. It then makes a note, and checks the box for that module as a "soft-start" or "original flavor".

I didn't say they were going to do this, just that with new (actual) developers on staff, it doesn't hurt to ask them to fix it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »

All great ideas!

Forgive my cynicism but X10 has known of this problem since the new design came out (two years ago?). Weekly they [can] observe the multiple "AHP can't turn on my light", "my timer don't work", etc. etc. etc. And have essentially ignored the problem. This is no minor flaw in AHP. Their wonderful home automation software can't turn on their own lamp/wall switch modules. And X10's idea of solving the problem is to put a line in the Wiki about redefining the non responsive modules as an LM14A. Most users don't even know the Wiki exists.

I won't be holding my breath, watching for your very good suggestions to come to fruition. If X10 had any pride in their products they have had plenty of time to add a line in the "Troubleshooting" section of the on line pdf AHP manual.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 05:13:37 PM »

I just want them to fix the "issue on instead of bright 100%" thing. 

And extended code, ain't the same as a simple "on".
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »

Should add soft start LM456s to the list also.  :'

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.