Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: System Not Responding  (Read 18136 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
System Not Responding
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »

Hello trying to help my sister with her new x10 alarm system.  I recommended the system to her and I'm really starting to think this was a mistake. Mine never gave me that much trouble but I have had difficulties in the past. The problem with her's is that the console is not responding to any commands the alarm wont turn on she can turn lights on or off she also can not add new any new sensors of key pads. I brought over an my older ds7000 that I have and the thing won't recognise or register any of the components it's like there's some kind of interference like I have never seen!!! something blocking the signals and I mean you can be just inches away and for example you can't register a key fob. Shes extremely upset because she essentially have no alarm system and I feel somewhat responsible for suggesting the system in the first place. I did tell her that she should consider something more sophisticated but that this would probably be OK until she had more funds.

Any idea what could be causing this and what a possible fix might be. I've tried my older system at different locations in the house but even from a few inches the console will not respond. Going to take it back home and try it there but What IN THE WORLD COULD BE CAUSING THIS sun spots?  I was going to use mine for a backup to my DSC system but now I'm not sure I could trust it. HELP   ??? ??? ???

Tom j.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:10:52 PM by tom j »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: System Not Responding
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »

My first guess would be a cordless phone!
But there is something interfering with the RF signals.
Look at what wireless devices she has in her house it most likely is one of them that is causing the issue!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:57:25 AM »

My first guess would be a cordless phone!
But there is something interfering with the RF signals.
Look at what wireless devices she has in her house it most likely is one of them that is causing the issue!
 >!

Hi I thought the same thing but she said she hasn't bought anything new, her phone is not 2.4 but I'll unplug the cordless phones she has it was my understanding that x10 operated on a pretty low frequency. Actually started working for a few minutes and then cut off again, she has some new neighbors but they have been there for about 8 months and she never noticed anything before, say  Thanks Tuice and other ideas.  ???

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »

X10s standard RF frequency is 310MHz. PowerMid IR extender is 418MHz. Cameras and wireless audio/video senders are in the 2.4GHz band.

The trying it in your location will be a good test.
If it works in your location you may have some serious RF interference at her location.
Would not even have to be the 310MHz as it could be something just overloading the consoles RF receiver.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:49:32 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »

Since the DS7000 will run on batteries only, try it unplugged.
Move it around the house to see if it works better in one location.
Moving it around may help to find the source of the problem.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »

Since the DS7000 will run on batteries only, try it unplugged.
Move it around the house to see if it works better in one location.
Moving it around may help to find the source of the problem.
 >!

Hi that's the first thing I tried I did move it, and I bought an older unit I had and the same thing happen. Since you think the problem is in the house itself what about hitting the main power cutting everything and then trying it if it is coming from inside that should do it. And then hit one breaker at a time to try to isolate it, what do you think about this procedure? Thanks

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »

X10s standard RF frequency is 310MHz. PowerMid IR extender is 418MHz. Cameras and wireless audio/video senders are in the 2.4GHz band.

The trying it in your location will be a good test.
If it works in your location you may have some serious RF interference at her location.
Would not even have to be the 310MHz as it could be something just overloading the consoles RF receiver.

Hi just saw this yes that's exactly what I was thinking about doing, ever hear of something like this?? I'm over there this morning and the same thing. Please take a look at my "breaker" idea and tell me what you think.

Tom j.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »

That would do it if the issue was from something on the powerline that is generating the interference.
Problem is since you can't program a remote the issue is in the RF there could be a very strong RF generating signal coming from outside.
Thats why I sugested using it in battery mode you could even test it outside, down the street each side.
You can program it in battery mode and even arm and trigger it.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »

That would do it if the issue was from something on the powerline that is generating the interference.
Problem is since you can't program a remote the issue is in the RF there could be a very strong RF generating signal coming from outside.
Thats why I sugested using it in battery mode you could even test it outside, down the street each side.
You can program it in battery mode and even arm and trigger it.
 >!

I seeeeeee! got ya good idea. I was also thinking if it was a phone or something inside that was emanating the interference that cutting the power would reveal that. You know I could actually drive around with the ds7000 it in the car to see how far it goes. Now I'm also wondering if she could have a palm pad or something wedged in a sofa or something any of those remotes stuck on could cause something like this right?? Thanks!!!!

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »

Well I figured out the problem but now I need to determine where it's coming from. Well after I took the battery out of the one I brought with me ds7000 and waiting a few minutes that unit seemed to respond when I tried to register a few key fobs, then I started walking around her house and found when I went UPSTARS where her unit is that the unit would not respond walk down a few stares and it works so it must be something in that area of the house but what I don't see anything up there of any significance but a TV  a blu ray player a dvr and a small space heater that wasn't even on at the time, so what do you think I'm thinking I'll try that breaker thing cut the breaker and see if it still persists and try to trace it that way I need you guys to please put on your thinking caps this one has me stumped I guess she could move it downstairs but I'm afraid shes lost confidence in the system. Thanks!    ???   B:(    B:(    B:(

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »

Unplug them. Off is not enough as most have a standby power supply running all the time.
Though with it on batteries AC noise and signal suckers should not be a problem.
Maybe one of them is radiating noise strong enough to overload the consoles RF receiver.

tom j

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 07:41:59 PM »

Unplug them. Off is not enough as most have a standby power supply running all the time.
Though with it on batteries AC noise and signal suckers should not be a problem.
Maybe one of them is radiating noise strong enough to overload the consoles RF receiver.

You know that's what I was thinking the one she had was defective, I've got both unplugged now I'll wait an hour and retest please check back and I'll let you know what happen. Thanks

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:41 AM »

Well I figured out the problem but now I need to determine where it's coming from. Well after I took the battery out of the one I brought with me ds7000 and waiting a few minutes that unit seemed to respond when I tried to register a few key fobs, then I started walking around her house and found when I went UPSTARS where her unit is that the unit would not respond walk down a few stares and it works so it must be something in that area of the house but what I don't see anything up there of any significance but a TV  a blu ray player a dvr and a small space heater that wasn't even on at the time,
Silly question here: You say the "upstairs" has the problem. Could the area have metal backed insulation in the walls? Even with this however, you should be able to get fob registration when standing close to the console.
Just a crazy thought, but I am wondering if a lot of RF reflection could create an muti-path situation where the console does not receive clear enough signal to decipher the coding.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:03:43 AM »

Hmmm, perhaps someone (previous owner maybe) has hidden a video/audio transmitter up there somewhere that's
close to X10's operating frequency. Long stretch but...
Wireless intercom system...
Amateur radio operator nearby...with some spurious RF...
Baby monitor equipment (don't know what freq they generally use)...
I'm really reaching here...
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

tom j

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 06:31:22 PM »

Hmmm, perhaps someone (previous owner maybe) has hidden a video/audio transmitter up there somewhere that's
close to X10's operating frequency. Long stretch but...
Wireless intercom system...
Amateur radio operator nearby...with some spurious RF...
Baby monitor equipment (don't know what freq they generally use)...
I'm really reaching here...

Hi that's a possibility I say that because she has a new neighbor that just moved in they have small children but no babies. Here's the update I had another new unit I have three new units just as a backup to my DSC hybrid system and when I tried to set up a key fob with it actually touching it and with only battery power it WOULD NOT REGISTER, just for the heck of  it I took it into the dinning room and plugged it in and guess what it worked!!!! then I went back to the SAME LOCATION and tried it with just the battery and  IT WORKED! took it upstairs to were the other unit was originally sitting and you guessed it IT WORKED!!! so I'm totally confused.  B:(  B:(  ??? what the heck could be going on here. My sister is happy it's working but just doesn't trust it anymore and is buying a DSC system similar to mine but without all the bells and whistles she said she never wants a wireless system again, if this had happen while she was out of town she would have been totally defenseless. I will still use the mine as a backup in the unlikely event my DSC goes down but now I have my doubts to. Just wondering how the more expensive wireless systems would handle something like interference. And ANY IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON HERE, I'M STUMPED.  ???  ???  ???  B:(

Tom j.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.