Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NSTINCT FIRST IMPRESSION  (Read 7853 times)

ukrkoz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
NSTINCT FIRST IMPRESSION
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »

ok, i received my x10 icon nstinct remote yesterday.

surprisingly, it does work as advertised. for the most part. #:)

here's first impression, just skimming through it out of maybe basic use as of this morning

1. general design: a brick. B:( but i have large hands, so it feels ok
2. "super bright display" is exactly as advertised - super bright; it's in that basic bluish white tone so, in cozy dimmed lights environment, it is very irritating, actually. 8) :( fortunately, it dimms maybe in 15 seconds, otherwise, it's minus.
3. power: 3 aa batteries. reaches anywhere across a large living room. #:)
4. initial setup: goofy wizard;  rofl wants to setup a whole lot of things i did not want to, so i simply ditched that wizard and did the rest myself
5. device setup; actually, quite straightforward, simply follow what it says on the screen and press buttons. had my toshiba up and running off it in about 10 seconds, full featured.
6. while i'm on it, 10 side buttons are very crowded and tip of a finger must be used, or 2 buttons will be pressed same time
7. limesat satellite receiver. that one had to be learned completely. learning is fairly easy. lime's remote being lime's remote took some time to have it pointed right at the learning sensor on x10. yes, it has separate sensor for learning in the bottom sidewall. donno if it's good or bad, but works.
buttons learn well, take about 5-6 seconds to precipitate into remote memory. i could learn almost all main buttons on remote. as of now, lime operates full feature - for my needs - off that remote. i had to substitute sat/p+/p-/favs buttons with other main buttons, otherwise, it has all of them handy.
the only thing that is silly - and i will tell them - is favs button. it can not be learned, >*< as when in learning mode, when favs is pressed, it exits learning mode and jumps to x10 remote favs feature.

there is a ton of side buttons that can be added to any device, macros, whatever that is, and plethora of main buttons for about any device. plus, it can operate your house electronics and such, but additional receiver needs to be plugged into your house electrical/security system.

i did not even read manual, just did all this on a basic common sense.

GENERAL FIRST OPINION: for 30 bucks plus 5 shipping - i am content. i know how finicky universals are, i had hassled with a hosh posh radioschack one, and this one is by far serving the purpose. have good hope, when i'll really read the manual, i'll have it running even better.

MAIN GRIPES: irritating display light; favs button can not be learned; crowded side buttons; obviously cheaply made; cheesy outdated design.

MAIN LIKES: it works; works as advertised; unless you have unrealistic expectations, it is a great value for the little money spent.

ukrkoz

Re: NSTINCT FIRST IMPRESSION
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »

ok, here's more impression.

i can set up ten side buttons for my sat system.

there's only one caveat. normally, i am not using glasses watching tv, and have pretty good buttons memory to operate my remotes.
as everything additional for side keys will be displayed on lcd screen, i will have to continuously use my glasses to read the names of features.

some say - what big deal, some say - well, it's a hassle.

added side key functions can be, also, renamed.

so, besides me being picky on wearing glssses, i must say that this remote, so far, is what it is promised to be.

i have no problem recommending it.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »

ok, here's more impression.

i can set up ten side buttons for my sat system.

there's only one caveat. normally, i am not using glasses watching tv, and have pretty good buttons memory to operate my remotes.
as everything additional for side keys will be displayed on lcd screen, i will have to continuously use my glasses to read the names of features.

some say - what big deal, some say - well, it's a hassle.

added side key functions can be, also, renamed.

so, besides me being picky on wearing glssses, i must say that this remote, so far, is what it is promised to be.

i have no problem recommending it.

Hi question how do you set up the side buttons for other functions of your components, it only show two functions out of ten for my TV. And yep I agree a BRICK.  rofl  :)%

Tom j.

ellliot

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »

Center OK button is ergonomically terrible, no separation from ring buttons. IR32a ICON was much better. Why did they change that part of the design???
Side keys very hard to press, don't always work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.