Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Swann cameras/equipment  (Read 42926 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Swann cameras/equipment
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »

This fall after the nest is empty.. I will remove and relocate the camera.

Nest? You mean there were several hatchlings? I wonder if the heat from the camera helped keep the nest warm, and incubated the eggs?

That's neat. How did you set that up? Any pictures from the outside looking at the birdhouse?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:01:55 PM by birdzeye »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »

Nest? You mean there were several hatchlings?
I've seen one head (besides the mother).... no idea how many may be there.

I wonder if the heat from the camera helped keep the nest warm, and incubated the eggs?
I only turn the camera on when needed.... and outside temperatures have been... well really HOT. So I don't think the camera aided any with warmth.

That's neat. How did you set that up? Any pictures from the outside looking at the birdhouse?
I hid the camera (from people) by placing it in the birdhouse. The camera set just barely inside the birdhouse.... the bird moved the camera... ever so slightly. Now she just squeezes in. The birds are wrens... and the wife has ban me from any activity that may cause the birds to relocate. But... maybe this fall... I can better locate a camera for nest watching (for next years eggs).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:02:11 AM »

Dave_x10_L,

Wrens are really cute tiny birds...are they common where you are? I don't think I've ever had any in my own backyard. Nuthatches, chickadees and hummingbirds are the tiny visitors I usually get. I wish them well!

But how do you run the wire out to the birdhouse? Is it under or over ground, and how is it protected?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »

Wrens are really cute tiny birds...are they common where you are?
But how do you run the wire out to the birdhouse? Is it under or over ground, and how is it protected?

Wrens are common in Ohio... but they're our first nesting pair on our lot. We also have a Blue Jay family at the other end of the yard. We feed, provide fresh water, have planted, and provided houses to attract the birds. We have a nice selection in the yard and we enjoy their visiting.

That particular camera is wireless (regular X10 color cam). Although I am also wired so I can run ether wired or wireless. I originally had two cameras in that area and ran plenty of extra wires. The extra wire was a good thing... as a critter quickly chewed up the beige (root colored?) cable that came with one camera. Extra wire is coax, CAT5, and a run of landscape lowvoltage wire. I buried the wire in a shallow "spade trench".

The yard was struck by lighting 2-3 years ago... and it killed every camera I had. When I replaced the cameras I found better places for cameras... and replaced one camera with two... in two different places. I like to have my cameras... in view of other cameras (the cameras watch each other... as well as the house). I have to make a real effort to limit the number of cameras I have. Most of the outside of my home is covered by motion sensors and cameras.

The wireless camera is received by a receiver I mounted in the eves about 60 feet from the camera. The image is then sent through the house via video cable (then even as channel 3).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:24:27 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:55 PM »

Swann camera are junk I retuened three of them. I had them outside the grass and tree where light brown it look like hell. I have clover camera and it works good with that camera you can change the lens to.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.