Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: System Not Responding Also  (Read 5699 times)

dkmiller26

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
System Not Responding Also
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »

I have a DS7000 that has been installed and working for over a year now.  The new console replaced one that has been in place for 15 years.  It has worked fine until Monday 12/20.  The range for RF reception suddenly dropped from over 100 feet to less than 10 feet.  All of the lights on the console are flashing as if the door/window sensors have not checked in.  I can hold a remote right up next to the unit and it may or may not work.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all sensors and remotes, replaced all of the batteries, and replaced the console with a spare that I had.  Same result.

I have a Linksys E3000 wireless router a/g/n (dual band 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz) that failed on Sunday (after 4 months, but that's another story).  I replaced it with an exact duplicate.  I figured that had to be the problem, but unplugging it did not solve the problem with the DS7000. I also have two Panasonic 5.8Ghz phone systems, and a couple of wireless senders.  Up till Monday, everything worked like a charm.  I moved the console to within 10 feet of the door and it barely works now. 

What's the deal - sunspots, the lunar eclipse, UFO's, the router??  I read the whole thread from the other problem and can't find any common elements. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: System Not Responding Also
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 02:45:26 AM »

I have a DS7000 that has been installed and working for over a year now.  The new console replaced one that has been in place for 15 years.  It has worked fine until Monday 12/20.  The range for RF reception suddenly dropped from over 100 feet to less than 10 feet.  All of the lights on the console are flashing as if the door/window sensors have not checked in.  I can hold a remote right up next to the unit and it may or may not work.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all sensors and remotes, replaced all of the batteries, and replaced the console with a spare that I had.  Same result.

I have a Linksys E3000 wireless router a/g/n (dual band 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz) that failed on Sunday (after 4 months, but that's another story).  I replaced it with an exact duplicate.  I figured that had to be the problem, but unplugging it did not solve the problem with the DS7000. I also have two Panasonic 5.8Ghz phone systems, and a couple of wireless senders.  Up till Monday, everything worked like a charm.  I moved the console to within 10 feet of the door and it barely works now. 

What's the deal - sunspots, the lunar eclipse, UFO's, the router??  I read the whole thread from the other problem and can't find any common elements. 

This is freaky now I'm starting to think this might be a glitch in the design itself wonder how many others have had this problem. Say if you can try what I  wanted to do to rule out interference inside the house. Can you hit your breakers and check to see if this frees up everything. That's what I wanted to try at my sisters but the thing just started working again. Another thing is with the battery in place take it outside and walk away from the house and maybe walk to the corner and try it if that doesn't work I was going to take it in the car and keep trying to arm it while I was driving I was always thinking it night be some local interference but was never able to verify this. Please keep me posted hopefully you're determine the cause and it might help my sister. Thanks

Tom j.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:14:05 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:14:24 PM »

This is freaky now I'm starting to think this might be a glitch in the design itself wonder how many others have had this problem. Say if you can try what I  wanted to do to rule out interference inside the house. Can you hit your breakers and check to see if this frees up everything. That's what I wanted to try at my sisters but the thing just started working again. Another thing is with the battery in place take it outside and walk away from the house and maybe walk to the corner and try it if that doesn't work I was going to take it in the car and keep trying to arm it while I was driving I was always thinking it night be some local interference but was never able to verify this. Please keep me posted hopefully you're determine the cause and it might help my sister. Thanks

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »

Come on guys anyone have an idea what could be causing this just talked to another guy that doesn't have an account so he can't post experiencing the same problem. This is serious business hoping someone can offer some suggestions and possible cures.

Tom j.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:34:19 AM »

@Tom J:
He could sign up if he wanted :)

At any rate, I got my system towards the start of November. No glitches seen here at all. Plenty of RF in the area (my own Router + neighbours, Cordless phones, etc) all on frequencies outside of X10's 310mhz.

Like I said, nothing to report. It's a Certified Like New system as well, dates to 2005 if I'm not mistaken.

As far as suggestions go, I don't have many other than the breaker flips. The only way the issue can be "debugged" is to do so in the same area/place where the issue is experienced unfortunately. That's the way it goes with all radio/signal dependent things. My wireless router may work great here, but it might not work in your home because they're completely different environments.

I personally took the breaker flips I did before installing X10 (during my research phase), as a chance to "re-write" the map - I have a list of what breaker controls what outlets/lights/fixtures in the house. Great for future planning and expansion if you ask me.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »

Well all I could add. X10 has been redesigning modules to use more easily available parts. The old ancient IC's is getting harder to find.  :'
I have no direct knowledge of the DS7000 being updated but I have a feeling it has been.
Maybe they broke something or have a part that is failing.
Could also be RF sensitive and not even at 310MHz but a total overload of the RF section.
I know the first new SS LM465's didn't work correctly with the consoles.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »

Well all I could add. X10 has been redesigning modules to use more easily available parts. The old ancient IC's is getting harder to find.  :'
I have no direct knowledge of the DS7000 being updated but I have a feeling it has been.
Maybe they broke something or have a part that is failing.
Could also be RF sensitive and not even at 310MHz but a total overload of the RF section.
I know the first new SS LM465's didn't work correctly with the consoles.

Thanks for your help Brian, those all sound like possibilities probably never now what happen to my sisters by the time I got back to flip those breakers it was working perfectly! and she actually hasn't had any more problems took 4 or 5 days to work it's way through. Shes got a new system now just lost faith in the x10 and will hopefully have it up and running in a few weeks. Until then shes still hesitantly relying on the ds7000 to keep an eye on things. I don't know what happen to the original author I was hoping he would get back after doing so testing to let us know what he found.  ???

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »

Something is definitely going on here this is EXACTLY what happen to me when I went to my sisters house EXACTLY!! I really would like to know what caused this.  ???   

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.