Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: USB Ethernet Extender for CM15a  (Read 14688 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
USB Ethernet Extender for CM15a
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »

So I got my replacement cm15a and it works!  :)%

Now I have my first issue, reception. I've read about the antenna mods and may try some, but for now I really need to locate it in a better place. So I was looking in to some usb over ethernet extenders. Can anyone recommend one? I've seen them priced as low as $9 and as high as $75 so I was wondering what people here use.

I also am considering the RR501. But if I'm understanding them correctly, I would need one for each house code I want to use it on. So if my alarm system was on HC A and my family room was on HC F, I would need 2 RR501s. Is that correct?

I got the bug and ready to play. I made my first simple macro detect motion and turn on a light. My wife and youngest both called me a geek.  rofl
Now I need the BVC and make all light flash when it hears the word geek... rofl

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: USB Ethernet Extender for CM15a
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »

So I got my replacement cm15a and it works!  :)%
Adding computer control to automation is the really cool. AHP and the CM15A is the first best step.
Now I have my first issue, reception. I've read about the antenna mods and may try some, but for now I really need to locate it in a better place. So I was looking in to some usb over ethernet extenders. Can anyone recommend one?
There are threads here at the forums about that... (here is one:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=4767.0 )... try searching USB extender. I highly recommend the antenna mod (any of them) as well.
I also am considering the RR501. But if I'm understanding them correctly, I would need one for each house code I want to use it on. So if my alarm system was on HC A and my family room was on HC F, I would need 2 RR501s. Is that correct?
Yes. But I would recommend a proper phase coupler instead of adding RR501's. The results will be better and the cost about the same (or less).
I got the bug and ready to play. I made my first simple macro detect motion and turn on a light. My wife and youngest both called me a geek.  rofl  Now I need the BVC and make all light flash when it hears the word geek... rofl
BVC adds major fun to any setup!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »

So I was looking in to some usb over ethernet extenders. Can anyone recommend one? I've seen them priced as low as $9 and as high as $75 so I was wondering what people here use.

I reluctantly bought a $10 usb over ethernet extender on ebay fearing it would not work but it works great with my CM15A.
It's a "Monoprice" brand. Can't remember the seller.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »

I have to say that I've had a lot of bad luck with the USB-over CAT5 extenders.

After installing an XTB-IIR next to my breaker box, I wanted to move the CM15A there (to plug into the XTB-IIR). I already had two two VERY expensive ($250 retail) units from NTI, (I had gotten them free when a previous contract was cleaning out an old server room). Neither one of those worked properly for me. I would get random "resets", where the USB connection would drop, for just an instant, causing the CM15A to reset the connection to the PC.
If it happened while commands were running, the PC didn't hear them, or log them. Several times, there were a few resets in a row, which caused the connection to lock up, and I needed to reset the CM15A AND the PC.
I tried running the CAT5 a different route, running a new CAT5 cable, and even using powered hubs at one or both ends. I bought a $10 extender from Monoprice, and a $60 extender from Microcenter. All of them had problems keeping the connection up 24/7.
Nothing seemed to give me the stability I needed. I was playing with this over over two months, trying every combination I could think of. The longest I ever had it run without a reset was about 26 hours.
I even put in a new USB controller in the PC, thinking there was some issue with the PC. That didn't do it either. I tried another PC. Same problems. There was just something in my house that created enough interference to make the extenders fail with my CM15A.

I finally gave up, and used a long extension cord between the XTB-IIR's front outlet and the CM15A (I marked it as "X10 Only" every 10 feet or so, and at both ends). I was then able to use a standard length USB cable to connect to the PC, and my system has been stable ever since. It has been about 2 weeks since I did this.

As for the RF reception, I had done the non-invasive "18.5 inch reflector" mod (I taped an 18.5-inch length of wire - in this case 12 guage electrical wire, still insulated alongside the CM15A's external antenna) right after I put in the XTB-IIR, and that gave me excellent RF coverage in my entire house. I was reluctant to move the CM15A (which is why I spent so much time trying to get an extender to work), because I was afraid that I wouldn't get the same coverage at the other end of the house.
Boy, was I surprised! with only the "18.5 inch reflector" mod, I still have excellent RF coverage, all over my house. To be fair, the house isn't all that large (one story with a basement, about 1400 sq feet each), but it works great for me.

I recommend you try that first, as it only takes a few minutes, the materials are nearly free (most people already have extra wire, or even a wire coat-hanger, and some tape). It doesn't void the warranty at all, and I think everyone who has done it has gotten improved reception with it.

Let us know how it goes.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »

Thanks for the input everyone.

On Dave_x10_L's reply, how would a phase coupler help with reception? I don't actually know what a phase coupler is and what they are for, but I didn't think they were for RF reception. I thought they were for the PLC sending over the power lines.

The reception problem is why I want to move the cm15a. I have a almost 3000 sg foot home with upstairs and a full basement. Right now the cm15a is plugged in to an outlet located at the very back wall of the house. Which is also where my PC is plugged in. There are lots of power wires near by and the antenna is actually right next to the power strip's main cord.

I can get the door sensors in the back of the house to register, but nothing from the front will reach it. Also, the security remotes won't reach either. So I wanted to either locate the cm15a more central or use the RR501's to help out with reception.

I did try a quick and dirty mod for the antenna. I had a center element for my discone antenna sitting nearby so I taped it to the cm15a and I was able to get better reception, but still only within the same room. The room is huge, 30' wide by 18'.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »

A phase coupler will not do anything for RF reception.
It will allow you to get the power line signals to the other phase of the homes wiring.
If the PC and other assorted equipment is on the same power as the CM15A they can be noise makers and signal absorbers. So can some surge strips.
An X10 type filter is almost always needed on computer and some other electronic equipment.

Few links to helpful information:
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »

On Dave_x10_L's reply, how would a phase coupler help with reception? I don't actually know what a phase coupler is and what they are for, but I didn't think they were for RF reception. I thought they were for the PLC sending over the power lines.
Correct. And as Brian posted: they allow you to get the power line signals to the other phase of the homes wiring. Many times that is why people use the RR501s or TM751s with the CM15A. They don't work as well as phase coupling.
...... I can get the door sensors in the back of the house to register, but nothing from the front will reach it. Also, the security remotes won't reach either. So I wanted to either locate the cm15a more central or use the RR501's to help out with reception.
Glad you mentioned the door/window sensors! Only the security console and the CM15A will work for that (the RR501 and TM751 can't transceive the security devices different RF signal). X10 used to sell a security resending device... which worked with the security console... but I don't think it worked well with the CM15A.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »

Glad you mentioned the door/window sensors! Only the security console and the CM15A will work for that (the RR501 and TM751 can't transceive the security devices different RF signal). X10 used to sell a security resending device... which worked with the security console... but I don't think it worked well with the CM15A.

Ah, so for the security I will probably need to do an antenna mod and maybe still relocate the cm15a to a more central location. I will try the antenna mod first. I was able to remove the plastic to reveal the wire without breaking anything. So I will first try a long wire.

For the slim keychain remotes, if the antenna mod isn't enough I will maybe try the RR501. But if the door sensor still can't reach I will move the cm15a and either use a usb extender or maybe I can run a usb extension cable through the floor to the basement and run AHP on a PC down there. Will have to see where things line up. I can always access AHP using VNC from the family room PC.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:38:25 AM »

I did try a quick and dirty mod for the antenna. I had a center element for my discone antenna sitting nearby so I taped it to the cm15a and I was able to get better reception, but still only within the same room. The room is huge, 30' wide by 18'.

Is the element that you used the right length (18.5 inches)?
Did you tape it alongside the CM15A's external antenna?
Are they even at the bottom (the bottom of the added wire should be even with the elbow at the bottom of the CM15A's antenna).
There ARE more invasive antenna mods (like the F-connector one), which then gives you the ability to locate an external antenna (or two) anywhere you want.

Is there space within your room to move the CM15A, using a "standard" length USB cable (up to 16 feet)? That might help improve your RF reception.

The way I tested mine was using a chime module, set on an address I wasn't using. I plugged it into an outlet near the middle of my house, so I'd be able to hear it from anywhere. I then took a PalmPad around the house, and triggered the chime module. I was able to get it to trigger pretty much anywhere I tried it.

You may have better luck with the USB extender than I did. Other people didn't report the same problems, so it certainly is possible.
Another approach might be an "active" extension. Microcenter has a 39-foot one for about $40. Here is a link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0337564
The specs say you can daisy-chain up to three of them together)

I was going to try two of these (I needed over 70 feet), but I decided in the end that $80 for a solution that MIGHT work (I would have had to string the wires up, and test them for at least a few days before I would know if the system was stable) was more expensive than the $14 that it cost me for the long extension cord I ended up using (probably closer to $20 if you add the cost of a new plug - I shortened the cord to the length I needed - and the staples to tack it up to the unfinished ceiling across by basement).

I guess it depends on how long of a run you need, and what sources of interference you might encounter along the way.

Good luck

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »

Is there space within your room to move the CM15A, using a "standard" length USB cable (up to 16 feet)? That might help improve your RF reception.

Your so right with that Noam! Many people just plug the CM15A in the outlet (behind the desk). My CM15A (although modified with a TM751 antenna) is in my basement office [nerd-nasium]. So I put the CM15A on an extention cord and set it up on a shelf. I know a lot of people use the 10 foot USB extentions to position the CM15A better as well.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »

If you decide to try an extender, be very careful.
I think what you are looking for is a USB-over-CAT5 extender. There are two halves of the device, one has a USB plug that plugs into the PC, the other has a USB jack where you connect the cable from the CM15A. You then run a CAT5 cable between the two halves. It WILL require a dedicated CAT5 cable running between the two halves of the extender. You won't be able to just plug it into your existing ethernet network, and connect to it at the other end.

There ARE USB-over-Ethernet servers, which will allow you to plug a remote device into your Ethernet network, and they give you software which creates a virtual USB port on the PC. I tried the only one they carry at Microcenter, and I was disappointed. It allowed me to connect to the CM15A, but it required that I launch the software and select the CM15A from the window after logging in. There was no way to have it automatically connect to the CM15A after booting the PC, and I had to keep the program running the entire time.

There are other similar devices out there, but none of them would have been a very cost-effective solution for me. Most of the ones out there are marketed as USB print servers, but most of them are designed specifically for printers, and wouldn't work for other devices like the CM15A.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »

I will try the antenna mod and use and extension cord to move it higher away from the power cords. I'll see how that works. THere is nothing else plugged in the outlet it is using but that outlet is on the same circuit as my PC, printer and entertainment system. The entertainment system consists of many noise makers. HDTV, PC running Mythtv for a dvr, another PC for music server with touch screen. Blu-Ray, cable DVR and receiver. Then you also have the cable modem and router. And with all that I can actually still control a test light on the circuit and the security light at the from of the house on a different circuit.

How long do you think my luck will last?

For a test, if this will work. I will download some basic stuff to the cm15a, disconnect from the PC and plug it in a central location. Then see how it does. If it works ok from where I hope, I should be able to drop an usb extension cable down to the basement and use a PC from there.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »

Just a little update.

I found some old phone cable, the cat3 kind. Cut an 18" length and twisted it to the end of the stock cm15a antenna wire. Just not ready to open the thing up yet. Next I used an extension cord and usb extension cable. Moved the unit to a different outlet, still in the very back wall. I got marginal results. About 5 more feet to the KR22a remote. Still have to be in the same room.

So my next step was to disconnect it from the PC and plug the cm15a in to a more central location on a different circuit. Major results. The kr22a works about 20 feet away through 2 walls with open doorways.

I then moved the cm14a back to the PC. This time I used the original outlet because it didn't have anything else plugged in to it. I used the extension cord so I could place the unit on a shelf about halfway up the wall. I tacked the 18" wire straight up the wall and now my front door sensor can reach. But the alarm remotes do not. And the kr22a work between 20 and 30 feet line-of-sight.

Getting better. Certainly my problem is location and reception. So I need to find the best location. Think I will try a real antenna mod and try it in the basement.

I've read several threads about antenna mods here. Has anyone found a replacement antenna for the TM751? One that fits in to the cm15a. I was also thinking of the f-connector mode so I can run the antenna from a central location and still keep the cm15a close to a PC.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »

Glad to hear you are making progress.

I'm a little confused by what you exactly did with the wire.
From my understanding (I'm not an engineer, but I've read a lot about this mod, and I did it on two of my CM15A's), the added wire is a "reflector," which is supposed to be installed in parallel with the existing antenna, not as an extension for it.

They key is to match the correct wavelength (or 1/2 wave, or quarter wave). Other lengths won't have the same effect.
From what I've read, the quarter wavelength is just over 9 inches, which puts the half wavelength around 18.5 inches or so.

I took an 18.5-inch length of wire, and placed it alongside the CM15A's antenna, lining the two up at the bottom. The reflector sticks up above the CM15A several inches, but doesn't stick down below it at all. I spiral-wrapped the two together with electrical tape (I used two strips of masking tape first, just as a test. If I had used white electrical tape, that would have looked even better, since the wire I used had white insulation on it).

I was lazy when it came to the second CM15A, I just slipped a length of heat-shrink tubing down over the CM15A's antenna, and then slipped the new wire (black this time - I had it leftover) down alongside it, until they met at the bottom. It is a tight enough fit that I didn't even bother heating the tubing to shrink it. If I get around to it, I'll buy some while heat-shrink tubing, or tape, and use a length of white wire to make it prettier.

I noticed a huge increase in RF reception with this mod. I was skeptical at first, but it really makes a huge difference.

From what I've read, the absolute best way to get RF reception everywhere would be to install a V572 whole-house transceiver, but I don't know if they handle the security codes or not.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:29 AM »

So Noam, what you are basically doing is making a 1/2 wave reflector for the original antenna, correct?

I did actually connect the wire to the antenna as an extension but forgot to account for the length of existing antenna. Thus making my antenna too long. Must try again. But just how long actually is that antenna wire? I know the plastic part outside is not even close to 1/4 wave. Don't have it here with me now, but I think the exposed part is only maybe 5 or 6 inches. Is the other 3 to 4 inches of wire inside the case? If the total length of the original antenna wire isn't 9 inches then that could be why these things get such poor reception.

Has anyone built the egg beater antenna at http://jvde.us/x10/eggbeater.pdf ? It looks like a pretty high gain antenna solution. I especially like the part about adding the RF preamp.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.