Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Appliance Module with two separate addreses to control an overhead fan with a  (Read 10011 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

How about a specialized module that would control both a overhead fan with a light?  It would control the light and the fan with two separate house and unit codes.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

How about a specialized module that would control both a overhead fan with a light?  It would control the light and the fan with two separate house and unit codes.

I second the motion!!!

(Dan, we have asked for this before haven't we?)   >*<
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

I did a search here and could not find a similar post here, so that's why I posted what I did.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

I hacked an Appliance Module and Lamp Module to make them wire-in modules and the are fixed to the ceiling next to the fan shroud. I painted the modules white so they blend pretty well with the ceiling. But I would like to try removing the modules PC boards and tuck them in the fan shroud. The problem is those HCUC rotary switches. Don't know how to handle that,  short of just hard wiring and I really don't want to do that. I will continue holding my breath for X10 take the suggestion. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

I hacked an Appliance Module and Lamp Module to make them wire-in modules and the are fixed to the ceiling next to the fan shroud. I painted the modules white so they blend pretty well with the ceiling. But I would like to try removing the modules PC boards and tuck them in the fan shroud. The problem is those HCUC rotary switches. Don't know how to handle that,  short of just hard wiring and I really don't want to do that. I will continue holding my breath for X10 take the suggestion. 

I think you are correct.   I'd like to put our Dining Room fan on X10, but not hacking standard modules to do it.  I guess we will still pull the fan chain in the winter so it doesn't run when we flip the switch to turn on the light since X10 isn't interested in making a joint module to do both that fits in a wall box. 

I might do "option B" and get an electrician to rewire the fan/light circuits to be 2 independent circuits and a double box so I can use two standard wall type switches to have X10 control both.   Cost: unknown, it just might be more than worth it.       

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11

I think you are correct.   I'd like to put our Dining Room fan on X10, but not hacking standard modules to do it.  I guess we will still pull the fan chain in the winter so it doesn't run when we flip the switch to turn on the light since X10 isn't interested in making a joint module to do both that fits in a wall box. 

I might do "option B" and get an electrician to rewire the fan/light circuits to be 2 independent circuits and a double box so I can use two standard wall type switches to have X10 control both.   Cost: unknown, it just might be more than worth it.       

Dan you can easily separate the light and fan circuits yourself.  It's just a matter of separating the wires in the fan shroud and juntion box.   Just be sure to turn off the breaker first!!

Dan Lawrence

Dan you can easily separate the light and fan circuits yourself.  It's just a matter of separating the wires in the fan shroud and juntion box.   Just be sure to turn off the breaker first!!

I think I'll just live without using X10 to control it.  There's no junction box, just a normal light switch and the fan shroud has two pull chains, one for the fan and one for the lights.  The fan is powered by a 2 wire cable (probably Romex) from the switch to the fan.  It was probably done by an electrician, I don't remember doing it, the installation was most likely pre-X10 (early 1982-83) X10 was 87.   

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.