Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 internet monitoring service?  (Read 13306 times)

The Crow

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 internet monitoring service?
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »

I have ADT system now and want to install X-10. My concern is monitoring service...I have search in forums and see others have 8.95 monitoring, but this is phone based. I want to drop home phone service, along with ADT monthly charge (saving me @ $85) I was wondering if there was an web based (I cable internet service)  monitoring service??

Thanks...G

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: X-10 internet monitoring service?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »

Try hooking up an Ooma to your homes NID

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »

Try hooking up an Ooma to your homes NID

Brandt:

You finals must have went well.  You're completely speaking in tech talk.  Congrats on the computer science degree.

Now for the rest of us -- can you convert that to english (non-tech dialect)?

You're making ME feel old.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brandt

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »

Yes thanks! I did finish my degree with a 3.0+ gpa  :'

An Ooma is an appliance you can buy that will enable you to hook up a regular telephone to the router for Voice Over IP.

The only monthly cost is the FCC tax of $3 - $4 per month.

It's $39 to port your landline number.

The price for the device though is kind of steep ~$249

http://www.ooma.com/

Now if you unhook the homes Network Interface Device (NID) from the street, you can then wire the block to the Ooma, and use your homes existing telephone jacks for distributed voip telephony service  :)%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:47:47 PM by Brandt »

Brandt

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »

I think the only thing is with alarm systems hooked up to VOIP is that they can't take over the line, and some don't recognize the "fake" dial tone

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:32:42 AM »

Personal suggestion?

I have a DS10A on the back door - when it opens, it sends a signal to set off standard X10 chimes, which are located around the house...

Works well enough for me!

Bob

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »

Here's something you might want to consider and that's a system that supports the new GMS and go  completely wirelessly! here are a few links, Just bought a communicator and will be ditching my land line like you completely. Check out the hybrid systems that you can mix wired and wireless like the Honeywell Ademco Vista 15P with 6150RF Keypad Wireless you can find this one for 129 complete but you will need additional equipment. Look for something you can use the 150.00 GMS communicator to, that's about the cheapest I've seen them. Let us know what you decide.

Tom j.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1266-kit495-14cp01-dsc-alexor-2-way-wireless-alarm-kit.aspx

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1452&SEName=model-2500-uplink-model-2500-universal-gsm-alarm-communicator

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-503-gs3060-gsm-universal-wireless-alarm-communicator.aspx

erlwebmail

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »

I think the only thing is with alarm systems hooked up to VOIP is that they can't take over the line, and some don't recognize the "fake" dial tone

If you wire the Ooma unit in between the modem and the router, it DOES take over the line (according to the sales literature). ...haven't actually tested it, though.

I've got my X-10 alarm system up and running solidly (consistently recognizes six door sensors and two motion sensors). I just hooked it up to Ooma, but Ooma doesn't place the call. The Ooma manual says that, to run a fax machine, you must preface the dialed digits with " *99 ", which is a problem because the X-10 alarm console doesn't include the star and pound keys. ...anyone out there have a suggestion? (Yes, my Ooma system works fine with telephone calls.)

erlwebmail

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »

After further experimentation with my Ooma, I found that if you put it between the modem and the router as recommended, and you're trying to run a website/do port forwarding/etc, logging in from the rest of the world gets you to the Ooma and not your web server. This rules out doing several things, like MyHouse coverage.

A better arrangement is to hook Ooma into the router, which is hooked into the modem. This allows the router port forwarding to work as desired. What you lose is Ooma's ability to "grab the line." To be honest, though, voice quality has not degraded at all on our 1 Mbps cable internet setup. Can't say how slower DSL will do. I did find that MagicJack service degraded on a DSL line if I tried to do much in the way of downloading at the same time. (DSL is about a third as fast.)

...stuill haven't been able to address my X-10 alarm system dial-out problem (no way to put " *99 " ahead of the phone number). Is there some magic box I could use?  ...or maybe buy a separate dialer box and somehow trigger it with the X-10 alarm? (Directly with the alarm, not Active Home Pro.)

sanjay92

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:52 AM »

I have OOMA and I dont have dial out problem. I am dailing out regular phone number without any prefix.
The issue which I have is Remote calling when you have answering system, it does not work as it said in manual.

phongluu

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:26:35 AM »

If u only want Internet monitoring, how about texting, email, web monitoring? Why need to call? ;)
With AHP setup, I have it txt me and others chosen number whenever it tripped. Email when door open while I'm at work, etc....
You can also see which door, window, light on/off status on ur smartphone. I like iPhone & x10 Commander.
Basically, u can do a lot over web.
I don't see why not AHP cannot call out a program to dial to any number...like gtalk doing.

showtime

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

If you are looking to get rid of you home phone, I recommend an obi110 http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304964556&sr=8-1 .  Use it with Google voice, and for the one time $50 cost of the obi, you now have free unlimited voip w/ no monthly fees.  It can and does dial out with the sc1200.  Mine works flawlessly.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »

Yes thanks! I did finish my degree with a 3.0+ gpa  :'

An Ooma is an appliance you can buy that will enable you to hook up a regular telephone to the router for Voice Over IP.

The only monthly cost is the FCC tax of $3 - $4 per month.

It's $39 to port your landline number.

The price for the device though is kind of steep ~$249

http://www.ooma.com/

Now if you unhook the homes Network Interface Device (NID) from the street, you can then wire the block to the Ooma, and use your homes existing telephone jacks for distributed voip telephony service  :)%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device

Hay how do they get away charging you tax on an VOIP Internet appliance. I mean they don't charge you for Skype or Magic Jack.

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.