Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wiring inline noise filters  (Read 5756 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
Wiring inline noise filters
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »

With all the talk about the 5-amp noise filter and possible fires, it has me thinking hard about how I want to incorporate noise filters.

I have a large entertainment setup that is on a shared circuit with the rest of the family room. There are lots of electronics on this circuit. So at first I thought I would get one of those 20-amp inline noise filters and wire it at the breaker panel. Then I realized that wouldn't protect the x10 devices used on that circuit. So I was looking at plugin filters but was worried about the amps. I didn't want to run the filters near their max rating. So here is my thought.

There is a computer, monitor, printer and external hard drive at one location on the circuit. Thought I would use one of the 15-amp rated filters from smarthome. The entertainment system consists of a DLP TV, bluray, cable dvr, computer with touch screen for a jukebox and another computer running mythtv for another dvr. There is also a wireless router in the mix to also be used as a hub. For this I thought about getting the 20-amp inline filter and constructing my own box to house it with a power cord to plug in to the wall and an outlet for the surge strips running the system. This way I was sure to be well below the filters max rating. Also in this room on this circuit currently is the all-in-one computer running AHP. It is currently on one of those 5-amp plugin filters and only pulls 2.6-amps. I have the main router and cable modem also on the circuit that I plan to use a second 5-amp filter for.

Would this be an acceptable way? Mostly, would using the inline filter this way be ok?

My other choice is to wait till I finish breaking down my aquariums that use 3 circuits and using one of them just for the electronics in the room and filter it at the panel. But that could be a couple more months before it all happens. Still need to find a home for the livestock.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Wiring inline noise filters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »

$0.02

You might be jumping the gun. Do you have a GOOD coupler/repeater?
My personal experience (using X10 since 1979 with a peak of 127 modules) is you do not need to filter every (suspected) noise maker if you have a high output repeater. (i.e. JV Digital Engineering's XTBIIR or second choice of ACT CR234). Also, if you are jumping in to home automation in a big way and have decided on a PLC (powerline carrier) system, then invest in a signal level/noise meter (XTBM).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:08:34 AM »

I do not have a coupler yet. I've been looking at them but so far all my x10 stuff is currently installed on the same phase. I know that won't be the case as I continue and know I need a coupler.

I just fond this at smarthome. It's an x10 signal coupler repeater. I know it isn't as good as the xtbiir but considering the price, would it be a good choice. Just $25, normally $160. Here is the link. http://www.smarthome.com/4820X/X10-Signal-Amplifier-Repeater-XPCR/p.aspx

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »

I just found the same coupler/repeater on ebay for $17.97 shipped. It's the XPCR. Just about cheap enough to give it a try.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:22:58 AM »

...normally $160.

The XPCR has normally been around $20 on eBay as long as I can remember.

I can't imagine anyone paying $160 for it.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »

I just fond this at smarthome. It's an x10 signal coupler repeater. I know it isn't as good as the xtbiir but considering the price, would it be a good choice. Just $25, normally $160. Here is the link. http://www.smarthome.com/4820X/X10-Signal-Amplifier-Repeater-XPCR/p.aspx
Yes, IF you want to *try* a repeater just to see if it would help your situation, the XPCR will will boost the signal (and is available for $18 including shipping off eBay). I have used both the XPCR and the Leviton version and had them periodically lock up, for no reason that I could determine. Cycling the power restored operation but I got tired of doing that. Hence I moved on to the CR234 and it gets at least a volt of PLC to the farthest corners of the house. I call it a "flame thrower" repeater. It elimiated at least a half dozen filters. I now only need one on a nasty microwave. If the CR234 is a "flame thrower" repeater, then the XTBIIR would have to be classified as a "class 2,  tactical, thermo nuclear device".  rofl
It can whump out as much as 30 volts of signal, depending on line impedance.

Even if all your X10 is on the same phase, your X10 transmitters only put out 2 volts or so of signal (at the device) which gets attenuated very quickly. When the PLC signal is stronger than the noise, it reduces the need of filters.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »

Well, if I were to pay $145 for the CR234 then I might as well pay the $170 for the XTB-IIR assembled and shipped. Or save some money and assemble it myself.

Wonder if there is any chance of a sale in the near future, Jeff?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »

My spreadsheet has the XTB-IIR components total at $97.61 right now.  The parts list is available on-line, so you can check for yourself ($35.41 for the machined case and PCB).  I do somewhat better than that with quantity discounts, but that savings covers shipping, fees, and fixed expenses.  There isn't enough margin for a sale on the XTB-IIR.  Some components have been going up in price, and I may actually have to increase my prices accordingly.

I do have a combined discount for those who order a XTBM along with one of the XTB units.  I hope higher volume will allow better quantity discounts on some of the more expensive XTBM components.

Jeff

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:53:04 PM by JeffVolp »

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »

My spreadsheet has the XTB-IIR components total at $97.61 right now.  The parts list is available on-line, so you can check for yourself ($35.41 for the machined case and PCB).  I do somewhat better than that with quantity discounts, but that savings covers shipping, fees, and fixed expenses.  There isn't enough margin for a sale on the XTB-IIR.  Some components have been going up in price, and I may actually have to increase my prices accordingly.

I do have a combined discount for those who order a XTBM along with one of the XTB units.  I hope higher volume will allow better quantity discounts on some of the more expensive XTBM components.

Jeff

Jeff, I understand completely and I think your prices are just fine. I just need to save a little before I can afford it. Bad time of year playing catch up from the holidays. Your stuff is the difference between buying an old used car and a brand new luxury car. If you want to drive down the road in style, get a high end car. If you just want to get from point A to point B and chance doing repairs along the way, buy a used POS.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »

If you just want to get from point A to point B and chance doing repairs along the way, buy a used POS.

"My" car is a 91 Explorer with aggressive tires to get me into the back country.  I figure the tires were worth half of what I paid for it a few years ago.

Jeff

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.