Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Signal Issues over 2 floors  (Read 3250 times)

DocBrown86

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Signal Issues over 2 floors
« on: January 26, 2016, 07:47:21 PM »

I'm having issues going between 2 floors in my house. The main unit is plugged in on the main level, and everything up there works fine. My issues is getting units to respond in the basement.
Here is what I am running:
-CM15A ActiveHome Pro USB Transceiver Module
-XPCR Coupler Repeater Amplifier
-PSX01 Smart RF Repeater (I believe this is the older version of SR751 Smart RF (Radio Frequency) Repeater Module)
-CR12A Remote Control (Now HR12A)
-I am attempting to turn on a "LM15A Socket Rocket Screw-In Lamp Module" in the basement.

The basement has a drop panel ceiling, so I have tried plugging the RF Repeater in and placing it above the panels to get it closer to the main unit. At this point it is directly below the transceiver. The lights flash on it when a button is pressed, but nothing happens with the lamp... I've tried moving the RF Repeater upstairs and still same results. The coupler is installed in the breaker box which is located in the garage.
Just to add to the info, the upstairs lamp modules are LM465, and I can get those to respond from the basement. All upstairs modules are set to B1-B3, and the basement are simply A1-A2.
Any suggestions as to what may be happening? The lamp sockets work in lamps upstairs, so they have been verified.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Signal Issues over 2 floors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »

A RF repeater simply repeats the RF signal it doesn't place the signal on the powerline.
It sounds like you have a signal sucker or noise issue
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DocBrown86

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »

So what would you recommend? I figured the coupler/amplifier that I wired into the breaker box would have taken care of this issue.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:21:31 AM »

You can still have power line noise makers and signal suckers.

Is the CM15A on the same power circuit as the computing equipment, power strip with a surge suppressor function or behind an UPS? Many can absorb X10 power line signals. Electronic devices like TVs, Cell Phone Chargers and many others sometimes need an X10 power Line Filter on them.

Jeff has a very good set of troubleshooting tutorials. That you may want to look at.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

DocBrown86

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:25 PM »

I'm assuming the stuff that is not responding is one the other phase of the power line. But the XPCR is supposed to send the signal across and amplify it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:03:22 PM »

I'm assuming the stuff that is not responding is one the other phase of the power line.
You should verify that.
But the XPCR is supposed to send the signal across and amplify it
That won't help much if the lights that aren't working are close to a signal sucker or heavy noise maker.

You also didn't state what type of light was in the Socket Rockets.
You stated these worked upstairs are they using the same bulbs? Are they mounted the same way Pointing up  verses pointing down? or horizontal from vertical?
Some newer lights are ment to only be installed in lamps not ceiling fixtures usualy it states this on the package.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:22:06 AM »

The XPCR does amplify and couple the X10 power line signal it receives. Back to the other phase of the house.
If the CM15A's location has a bad signal sucker on its power line. The signal may not even be reaching the XPCR.
Or as pointed out. There is a signal sucker or noise maker on the power feed to the modules not responding.

I have an example of how just one signal sucker can kill a signal.

Using a JV Digital Engineering XTBM Power Line Signal Meter and XTB-IIR Coupler/Repeater. That is hitting the power line at over 10 volts X10 power line signals.

The meter in an outlet with a Vizio LED TV. 1.91 Volts TV connected, 9.15 volts TV disconnected. The TV is a bad signal sucker.
In my case 1.91 volts is plenty of X10 signal. As the XTB-IIR has a much higher output than an X10Pro XPCR, Leviton HAC02, ACT CR234 to be absorbed.
I doubt that location would work with the output of a XPCR if the TV was not on an X10 Power Line Filter. Like a X10Pro XPPF, Smarthome FilterLinc or ACT AF120.

Have you had a chance to read Jeff's Troubleshooting Tutorials yet? Great tips on what can cause issues and how to start finding the problems.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:33:24 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.