Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AHP & CM15A Random module turn-on  (Read 10669 times)

PLCGuru

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: AHP & CM15A Random module turn-on
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

Hi Noam.  No I haven't tried changing the unit code of any of the modules.  Mainly because all of my modules worked 100% with the CM11 for over 8 years.  Never had a problem with any of them.  As soon as I upgraded to the CM15A I'm waking up to various lights on in the house.  Nothing ever turns off when it's not supposed to - just random turn-on.   This only happens when the CM15A is running stand alone.  If I have it plugged into my computer while monitoring activity, it behaves itself, go figure! lol

My ideal scenario is to have it stand alone and set and forget it.   With the CM11, I could leave it for almost a year without maintenance.  It had a few programming quirks, but I managed to make it work.   I'd go back to it but I like the CM15A's macro capability better than the CM11, so I'd really like to tame this one. 

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »

I've been following this thread with great interest. However, this last reply got me thinking. You mentioned it all works when the cm15a is connected to your computer but it doesn't work when it isn't connected. Just a thought, is it possible any of the macros or timers are set to run on the pc only?

Not sure as I'm still very green to this stuff, but that is the question that came to mind.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »

PLCGuru
When you upgraded to AHP and the cm15a did you use the import function in AHP to import your CM11 settings?
For some reason users have complained that this feature never imported everything correctly and experianced many of the same issues you are seeing.
Once they rebuilt from scratch their complete setup, everything worked fine.
Now how complexed each users setups were I have no Idea as some users stated this function worked fine for them.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

PLCGuru

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »

Hi Tuicemen, earlier I was asked to check the recycle bin, it's empty.  I don't know how to make programs run on the PC only.  I'm opening the file, making changes and, saving and downloading the data to the CM15A.  When I upgraded from the CM11 to the CM15A, I built the program from scratch.  I did not import any files or data. I figured writing the program was a better way to learn and it wasn't that difficult.  As I previously mentioned, I only have 9 modules, two outdoor motion detectors and four macros in the program.  Not much memory used up. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »

When you edit your macros at the bottom under the text box there are 2 radio buttons one says "Store in interface" the other says "Run fromPC".
You want the one that says store in interface colored.
My note book won't allow a print screen or I'd attach a pic but I'm sure someone else can do that if needed!
If the program won't allow you to to change it to store in interface then that macro Must be run from the PC.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

PLCGuru

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »

Yes, I went looking for it this morning and found the two buttons.  I am storing both my macros in the interface.  I have new progress to report.  I think I might have found the problem.  I've never seen this before but it looks like the issue is not the CM15A but related to an aging CF lamp.  It's a 9 watt lamp that is 4 years old.  It's also the lamp is turning on at random more than the others.   This lamp is plugged into an appliance module and to boot, I have a filter on the lamp.  This morning, while I had the CM15A memory wiped clean and unplugged, (it was sitting on my table) this lamp turned on by itself.  Puzzled, I then plugged in a RR501 and with a palm transmitter, I turned the lamp off.  5 seconds later it turned itself back on.  After I repeated this 4 to 5 times, I figured it was time to replace the CF and screw in a 40 watt incandescent lamp.  The 40 w lamp works fine.  I'm going to leave in the 40 watt lamp and RR501 for now and monitor the system for the next few days.  If I see that it my system is stable with the RR501 and 40W lamp, I'll feel confident in reinstalling the CM15A.   It's funny how this CF started to act up right after I upgraded the to the CM15A.  Fooled me!  ;D

Ill get back in a few days - hopefully with a favourable report that all is well with my CM15A. >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »

CFLs have been known to get noisy with age! ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »

Fluorescent lights, (including CFL's) and appliance modules don't always get along. The current sensing circuit in them has a tendency to get confused by the circuitry in the light.
The "workaround" for this is to plug a power strip, or a multi-tap into the appliance module, and plug a night-light (incandescent) into one of the outlets. The filament in the bulb creates enough resistance to overcome this quirk.

There is a fix out there (at least for older appliance modules), but it involves cutting a wire inside the module (which you do at your own risk, of course).

PLCGuru

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »

Yes, I agree it was probably the age of the CFL along with the current sensing.  This is the only CFL I have on an appliance module.  I think I will get a new CFL, disassemble the module and remove the current sensing.  I have the instructions somewhere around here.   Funny how the coincidence of a faulty CFL and the changing of my controller had me messed up.  I feel a bit embarrassed.  I should have caught it before putting all you folks to so much head scratching!  The upside is that my CM15A seems to be working.  Thanks to all for jumping in to help.  I appreciate it. >!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »

Yes, I agree it was probably the age of the CFL along with the current sensing. 

FWIW The world famous "Brian H Testing Laboratory" has determined the new generation of Appliance Modules do not have "Local Control". They do still have a very small current running through the load in order to sense the relay position.

The Brian H Testing Laboratories has issued a new detailed analysis of Local Control feature for the new design Appliance Modules and is in the process of revising the initial test results.  :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:10:10 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »

My tests where flawed.  B:(
My normal test is turn Off a module. Unscrew and then tighten the bulb in the test socket of my test rig. They do stay Off.
Today I added a toggle switch between the module and the light socket. It did turn On when I cycled the switch.   :-[
I don't know if it was noise. As trying the bulb thing still results in it staying Off. While older modules will go On with the bulb trick.
Tried three CFL friendly one with the same results.

PLCGuru

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 06:52:09 AM »

It's official - problem solved.  2 days now without random module turn on.  My CM15A is running like a top!  The only question remaining is why did my system behave itself when the CM15A was connected to the computer via USB?  I guess we will never know. 

Thanks to all that helped. I really appreciated it..... I guess this thread can be closed.  >!

leroy.martin

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »

I have the same problem of lights turning on randomly, especially when it's dark outside.  My smart meter is a Landis & Gyr which was installed when I put PV solar on my shop about 6 years ago.  The problem has gotten appreciable worse and now it's every night.  I even removed my controller and took it to a different location. Is there any way to correct this problem.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »

Little more information:
Is it always the same lights? What kind of controller do you have?
If it is always the same lights, is it the same time, or is that random also?
If only one or two lights and they are incandescent, make sure the bulb is tight in the socket. (Yeah it sounds funny, but I have had bulbs "walk" themselves loose in the socket and the loose connection would activate the "Local control" feature.)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »

My smart meter is a Landis & Gyr which was installed when I put PV solar on my shop about 6 years ago.

Some of our customers have had severe problems with powerline noise from solar system inverters, and had to isolate them with the big X10 XPF in-line filters.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.