Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AHP Crashing on "download Macros and Timers" command.  (Read 10798 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: AHP Crashing on "download Macros and Timers" command.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

Another full day wasted on my ActiveHome Pro.  My new wife who has been extremely patient and understanding, is sick and tired of me working on this thing and wants me back.  I too want my life back!!
This problem started on October 4th and after a total of 2 months of my time and patience devoted to methodically trying to resolve this unsuccessfully, it is now time to devote my time to other things. 

After all the work and time I invested into resolving this issue, just when I seemingly had it going, it now crashes randomly, not only during downloading timers and macros, and the error "An error occurred when communicating to your ActiveHome USB interface" has increased from a once in a while thing, to several times an hour.  Clearly a software issue with the new AHP versions.

I am going back to AHP v3.228 for now, forgetting the new AHP version and any of the new mobile plug-ins.

Best of luck to everyone!!

I still think you have something else (not X10 related) in your house that doesn't like one or more of the mobile plug-ins.  Back-dating to 3.228 may work and may not.   Please let us know if backdating worked.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »

I recently found that my Quad-Processor bad-boy has been plagued by some unknown culprit.
Symptoms:
On shutdown and/or reboot, the PC takes about 20 minutes (ouch!!)
Corrupt data on a 16GB USB stick.
Flaky mouse response
Coming home to 136 ActiveHome Pro windows on-screen (135 of which were 'Error during download').
Heck, I didn't even ask AHP to download to the CM15; not even once.

Long story short, when I disconnect my cheapo 'Made in China' 8-port USB hub, ALL the symptoms disappear !!!!
All of them. The PC reboots in 60 seconds (even with 8GB physical RAM). AHP doesn't randomly start downloading to
the CM15A. Mouse works smooth, etc.
Get whatcha pay for right?
So I'm in the market for a Good multi-port USB hub.
Give it a shot. Pull everything of your USB ports. Plug the CM15A directly into a USB port on the PC.
See what happens.
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

X10inGA

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »

I'm back on AHP 3.228 and everyting is back to normal, as it was before the new AHP versions with the mobile plug-ins.  The sytem I run AHP on is an HP laptop running Windows XP sp3, fully updated (Microsoft windows patches/updates).  It is dedicated to nothing but AHP and has no USB hubs.  The CM15A is connected directly to the laptops USB ports.  It is not a hardware issue as I recreated it on two different AHP dedicated machines. 

I'm giving up on it and staying on v 3.225 for now, until something comes up that I have not yet tried or until there's an update to AHP addressing issues with downloading timers and macros.  :)

The mobile plug-ins and updated AHP version is not really worth all of the time I've invested in it so far!!!

Rider1

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »

Since starting this post, I have found out that when my AHP crashes I can go to the "Windows Task Manager" and end the "X10nets.exe" process. Then I can restart AHP without having to reboot. I still have not identified the reason for the "crash" but not having to reboot helps alot. When I do end the X10nets.exe program, it usually allows me to downlaod the macros and timers.

X10inGA

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »

I had come to the same conclusion, though it happens so darned often due to the frequent "An error occurred when communicating to your ActiveHome USB interface" requiring the download of timers and macros, that stopping the X10.nets.exe process was not a good enough workaround.  I have been back on the old version of AHP without the mobile plug-ins now for a while and all is running smoothly again as it had been for years before I made the mistake of purchasing and installing those mobile plug-ins.

At some point when I have more time to waste I'll give it all a try again, but I have simply invested too much time on it as it is.  Maybe after the new year.  I believe it's the x10.nets update that they did.  I may try the new AHP and mobile plug-ins with the old x10.nets.exe and other possible workarounds, such as having a watchdog program watch and restart the x10.nets process if it has frozen or become unresponsive, etc.  But again, I'll tackle that all again when time allows.  Not this year.. 

Shoot25

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »

I ran into this problem but found that the easy work around is to just do a download and install for Active Home Pro. No reboot is necessary.  Be certain that you save your house file so that you can open it after the download. AHP will always crash after you download a new plugin but this work areound will save a lot of grief.

X10inGA

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »

I ran into this problem but found that the easy work around is to just do a download and install for Active Home Pro. No reboot is necessary.  Be certain that you save your house file so that you can open it after the download. AHP will always crash after you download a new plug-in but this work around will save a lot of grief.

No..  Believe me, that's one of the things I had tried at least 3 separate times and each time it only fixed things for a few hours or at one time for a day or so, only to have the problem start again.  Being an IT professional, have approached this in so many different ways and so methodically over such a long time, having gone as far as redoing my entire setup (after all the simpler fixes and workarounds failed), recreating all my modules, timers, macros, etc one by one, testing after each one only to end up with the same problems again, even when doing so on different computers and using two different CM15A modules to rule out hardware issues, the only conclusion is that there is a bug in the new ActiveHome version where it can't handle certain macros or setups (large or complicated setups, macros with emails, etc).  I think, unless a suggestion is made that I have not yet tried (I couldn't fathom having missed anything but it's possible), the best thing to do is wait for X10 to have enough complaints about this that they do something and put out a corrected update to ActiveHome. 

Until then, I'm back to the old version and running smoothly.

CodeChaser

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 10:50:29 PM »

ActiveHome Pro
Ver 3.301
Date 12/20/10
Win 7 x86

I installed the AHP today 1/5/11 and got the version stated above.

1.  All was fine, so until I did the Down.. Macro.. timers. etc... as this thread states
2.  No matter what I did I could not get AHP to launch anymore, crashed everytime. Stopping process made no diff.
3.  I deleted files in common, and check event logs ect.
4.  Changed network service to an admin account
5.  Finally I gave up and reinstalled.
>*<

6.  Success I was now running again.  ;D
7.  As soon as I tried the Download...  again, it would crash  B:(
8.  Except now I could immediately relaunch  ???

Possible parital resolution....
===============================
1. I decided to try the "Clear Interface Memory"  -:)
2. This worked perfectly, no crash...
3. I then tried the Download again

IT WORKED, no crashes.  :)%  I was able to perform "Download Timers and Macros" with no issues..

It was getting late, so I decided not push my luck and see if the app crashes on its own, as some have stated.
 :'

CodeChaser
Sr Software Engineer
C++, C#, VB, SQL DBA

tolum

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »

On my side, the crash problem stops when I removed the "Email Notification fonction" that was in my garage door "Door stays open alarm" Macro... So on my side, the crash problem that is new since AHP upgrades is related to the "Email notification" fonction.

Thierry

peg-leg

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »

I'm having this same issue.  Restarting worked a couple times, changing usb ports worked 3 times.  Now nothing helps.  My timers aren't running since their not downloaded to the CM15A, but my macros do work. 

I'll try some remedies mentioned here an reply back. 

peg-leg

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »

I switch usb ports last night and the problem stopped.  Looks like I got lucky.

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »

I, fortunately, got lucky as well.  I upgraded to 3.305 today and now it seemed to work properly until I uninstalled and reinstalled the SDK...  Not sure why this happened, but I hope this helps you with your problem!

Bob
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.