Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timer question  (Read 4868 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Timer question
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »

I have several outdoor lights that I have put on timers for morning and evening operation.  I have not had AHP for long (last December), so I don't know the answer through experience.

Basically, I want to know what happens when a timer on time happens after the off time.  As an example, I have lights turn on in the morning at 5:30am and then turn off at dawn.  In the winter, this works fine.  However, in the summer here in Washington state, the sun comes up very early.  What happens if the sun come up before 5:30?  Will the timer not run (desired action)?  Or, will the timer run the dawn operation (turn off lights) and then the 5:30 operation (turn lights on)?  If the latter is true, then I need to use a smart macro to capture this case.  Any insight would be very helpful.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Timer question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »

The "On" and "Off" times are independent of each other.
The way yours is set, the lights will be turned on at 5:30, and off at Dawn, no matter the season.

If Dawn is before 5:30, then then lights will go OFF at Dawn (if they weren't off already), come ON at 5:30, and stay on until you (or some other timer of command) turn(s) them off.

If Dawn is after 5:30, then the lights will come on at 5:30, and go off at Dawn.

You can set a date condition in the timer, for it to be active only between certain dates.
There are a few ways you can solve it, depending on what you are trying to do.
If you give us some more detail on how you want it to work, we should be able to help you design the timers correctly.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:35:43 AM »

Sure, details are pretty straight forward here.

I want my front entry outdoor lights (and actually my lights in back as well, but it's the same timer setup) to turn on at 5:30am when I should be getting up.  I want them to stay on while it's dark outside and then turn off at dawn.  During most of the year 5:30 is before dawn.  However, there are a few weeks in the middle of summer where that is not true and dawn is before 5:30.  In that case, I don't want the lights to turn on at all (it's light when I wake up, so no need to turn the lights on).

In the software I used before I had a check to see if it was after dawn for turning the lights on, but that software had a more programmically controlled timer setup.  It does not appear that I can set things up the same way here, so I'd like to learn the correct way to get things set up in AHP.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »

You can use a conditional macro (if you have the SmartMacros plugin).
Set the condition to "if it is before Dawn", and have it turn on the light. Then, set a timer on the macro to run at 5:30 AM.
Separately, set an "off" timer for the light, to turn it off a Dawn.

you could also create the timer as you have done, and just set the dates on it to only run between those dates where 5:30 AM is before Dawn.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »

I do have SmartMacros.  Ok, I'll try these methods.  Thanks!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »

Perhaps I should start a new topic since this may be a hardware question now, but I'll ask here first.

The timer is set up and working according the the activity monitor.  However, the lights do not seem to turn on when the timer claims it's sent the command.  AHP thinks the lights are on, but they are not.  If I manually tell AHP to turn on the lights, they work fine.  I'm not sure what's going on since I have other lights that are working correctly.

The other switches that I have on timers similar to this are 3-way WS4777 modules.  This one is a standard 2-way WS467 module, so I'm not sure if the problem is AHP, the CM15A, or the fact that this module is a 2-wire rather than a 3-wire (with neutral) like the others that work.  Any thoughts?

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »

What version of AHP do you have, and how new is the WS467 that isn't working?
It may be a SoftStart module, but isn't defined that way in AHP.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »

My guess is the best thing is to clear the CM15, then uninstall everything after backing up ALL .ahx files.  Then through Windows Explorer, make sure the ActiveHome Pro folder and the X10 folder (in Common Files) are gone, if not, delete them. If they won't delete, rename both "junk" and delete them.  Then reinstall.  If you are running 3.305, install plug-ins first, then AHP.

Good luck!!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »

Dan Actualy 3.305 doesn't need plug-ins installed first as did 3.303 not in my tests both on XP and Win7.

bkenobi
As pointed out by  Noam the module may be the module isn't setup correctly in AHP.
If you have version 3.305
Go into AHP and edit the module if it states in the module type that it is a Lamp change that to Older lamps (no softstart)
make sure to update the interface after your changes.
if you have a older version of AHP just update to 3.305  and try the module before you edit it as it is most likely softstart
 >!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:49:59 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »

I just got the module in December of last year, so yeah it's a soft start unit.  I got the CM15A at the same time, so the AHP version is whatever was available in mid December.  I didn't see any options for modules other than WS467 and WS4777 that seemed appropriate (I did see the decora style ones but figured they might be different internally).  I've read in other threads that making the WS467 a lamp module might work, so I'll try that first.  If not, then I'll try installing the current version of AHP like y'all suggested.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »

I just got the module in December of last year, so yeah it's a soft start unit.  I got the CM15A at the same time, so the AHP version is whatever was available in mid December.  I didn't see any options for modules other than WS467 and WS4777 that seemed appropriate (I did see the decora style ones but figured they might be different internally).  I've read in other threads that making the WS467 a lamp module might work, so I'll try that first.  If not, then I'll try installing the current version of AHP like y'all suggested.

In all likelihood, your WS467 is a SoftStart one, but your version of AHP defines it as an older (non-softstart) version.
I would suggest upgrading your AHP to the latest version (3.305).
That should correct the module definition, and your timer should start working properly.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »

Oh wow...  I didn't realize there was such a large discussion on the different AHP versions as they are released.  I see that my problem is pretty common.  I'll read through the 3.305 thread and put any questions there if they are truly linked.

Thanks!

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22424.15

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:11:22 PM »

The wiki is very interesting.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim

I don't know what version of AHP I'm running, but I'm sure this will address my issues.  Thanks for the help!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.