Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Module manufacture date identification?  (Read 4979 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Module manufacture date identification?
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »

I stopped by my local Fry's this evening and noticed that the packages for much of their X10 stuff is pretty beat up.  I asked on of the sales people if they have much turnover in their automation component stock, and he said it's probably the same stuff since he started working there (a few years back anyway apparently).  I am wondering if there's something obvious that I can use to determine if these modules are pre-2007 (non-softstart) or not without trying each one.

Also, the modules they have are all the wrong color for what I'm using in my house.  How hard is it to swap the buttons on WS467 and WS4777?  Looks to me like if I just want to do the face, it might be as simple as removing the 2 side screws, popping the side clips, and maybe disconnecting a button internally.  Is that too optimistic?

Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Module manufacture date identification?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:06:41 AM »

You maybe able to see the date code sticker on the module.
Usually a round white sticker.  Two numerals; then an alpha character and two more numerals. First two numerals are the year. Last two {I am fairly sure} are the week.

I have never seen different color buttons for the WS467 and WS4777 style switches. They also don't look like you can remove them with out breaking them.

The WS12,WS13 and WS14 had a white and ivory color available.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »

I have several WS467 ivory switches installed in the house.  I think they are actually the X10 PRO PLW01-I, but basically the same.  I saw a sticker that said something like "04/4A" I think.  I was hoping that meant 2004 in April or something and it sounds like I may be close.  Unfortunately, if I can't disassemble them without destroying the switch, it makes little difference if they are older units I suppose.  Perhaps I'll pick one up to see what I can do with it.

Thanks!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »

How hard is it to swap the buttons on WS467 and WS4777?  Looks to me like if I just want to do the face, it might be as simple as removing the 2 side screws, popping the side clips, and maybe disconnecting a button internally.  Is that too optimistic?
If you are good mechanically, it can be done, but to change the plastic button assembaly is a real job. Pop the four clips to remove the back. There is only one "side screw" which anchors the triac to the metal face plate which acts as a heat sink. Remove that screw to remove the face plate which holds the button assembaly against the PC board. The button assembaly contains two sets of contacts, one for the button, and a second for the safety power disconnect slide under the button.

This link has a good text description, but few pictures.
http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/index.htm

You might want to purchase an extra switch to practice on. I used to take the old switches apart to add the local dimming feature (the newer switches have this). My success rate of re-assembaly and working on first try was poor. The tiny diconnect switch is a nightmare to get back togeather.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jayman13

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »

I noticed you said Fry's.  Are there any other stores that carry X10 stuff?  I thought the only place you could buy them was online...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »

There are EBay vendors that have X10 devices.
I have not seem many local stores carring them anymore.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »

Frys is the only B&M store I know of that currently carries this stuff.  They actually carry Z-Wave and a couple other brands as well.  Surprising they carry any of it based on the apparent turnover of the stock.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »

Yes Radio Shack also dropped X10 and added GE ZWave device.  ???

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.