Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie need Help  (Read 3903 times)

lmbrsn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie need Help
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »

I am a newbie and have a few questions. Sorry if this has been answered before but I don't really know what to ask.
I have 200 amp power coming in to a pole with a breaker box, there are 2 100 amp breakers in it. 1 breaker goes to the house about 300 ft with a breaker box on it. The 2nd breaker goes to the barn which is about 200 ft from the main pole.
My question is about phase converters, how many do I need. Just 1 to tie the phases together or 1 at every breaker box.
I just want to turn some lights on at the barn from the house. It will go through 3 breaker boxes. Is this do able?
Thanks Jim

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Newbie need Help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:25:48 AM »

My thought is you could get by with a phase coupler installed at the pole where the two branch circuits split. I don't have experience with the distances that you are talking as the X10 powerline signal essentially has to travel 500 feet from the house to the barn. Since you need a phase coupler anyway, I would recommend you buy a combo unit(phase coupler/booster) Perhaps others with "distance" experience will jump in to recommend a specific module.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »

I would recommend you buy a combo unit(phase coupler/booster) Perhaps others with "distance" experience will jump in to recommend a specific module.
The XTBIIR from JV Digital Engineering has the highest PLC output on the market. The ACT CR234 is next. Finally the X10 XPCR...but it is the least expensive.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

lmbrsn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »

Thanks, That is what I thought. I talked to a salesman and they said that I needed 3 couplers.
Any suggestions on switches, they will be for flood lights only no dimming needed. I need 2 switches that are the decorator style, and 6 of the regular light switch.
Also do they make a motion sensor flood light that the on off switch will over ride the motion switch?.
I am trying to talk the wife into this, so I need to kind of come up with a budget.
Thanks.
Jim

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »

Thanks, That is what I thought. I talked to a salesman and they said that I needed 3 couplers.
Any suggestions on switches, they will be for flood lights only no dimming needed. I need 2 switches that are the decorator style, and 6 of the regular light switch.
Also do they make a motion sensor flood light that the on off switch will over ride the motion switch?.
I am trying to talk the wife into this, so I need to kind of come up with a budget.
Thanks.
Jim
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm
WS12A - incandescent only
WS467A- mincandescent only
WS13A - incandescent, CFL, LED, etc. Needs a neutral line.
PR511A

http://www.smarthome.com/_/X10_Compatible/_/23X/land.aspx
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.