Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two levels of security using DS10a's  (Read 5029 times)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Two levels of security using DS10a's
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »

I have several DS10a's registerd to my DS7000.  One is connected to my screened in deck door.  My theory s that if an intruder sets off the alarm before even entering my back door which is armed also, he'll most likely not proceed any further. 

I've had the back door armed for years, but only recently thought about arming the screen door.  I hope my theory is never tested, but I believe it would help.

Hopefully this idea will be useful to others  out there.

Thanks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Two levels of security using DS10a's
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »

I have several DS10a's registerd to my DS7000..........., but only recently thought about arming the screen door.  I hope my theory is never tested, but I believe it would help.

I also arm the screendoors! Only I use a completely separate system with an outside siren. Of course... I also have my perimeter detection and Voice Warning using X10 floodlight (PR511) units.

Your so right! Why wait till someone kicks your door open to let them know you have an alarm.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »

Nice setup Dave.  I've viewed that video before but never really paid attention to the video on your TV.  Are you using an x10 camera?  It's looks awfully clear for a night time image.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »

Are you using an x10 camera? 

Yep, that is a wired nightwatch.

When THAT announcement is played... an appliance module [with a powered pair of computer speakers plugged into it] is turned on. One of the speakers is mounted outside and plays the warning.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »

Yep, that is a wired nightwatch.

When THAT announcement is played... an appliance module [with a powered pair of computer speakers plugged into it] is turned on. One of the speakers is mounted outside and plays the warning.

That Dave  ;D   ;)

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »

Years ago... I heard a story of a guy that put a refrigerator type switch on his office door. He wired the switch to a plug and a radio. If anyone entered his office... the radio came On.. and woke him up. Everyone always just thought he listened to a radio while he worked.

I like simple solutions. I think in the above example.... NOT sleeping while at work might be a better solution. But it does show.. that just playing a radio and leaving a light on gives people the idea that someone is around and alert. In many if not most cases... the impression that someone is home is enough of a deterrent. For others... the reminder of an alarm might help too.

I think the cameras are a nice deterrent as well. I like the big (cheap) IR cameras (sold everywhere). Left On... the IR lights will glow a pinkish red at night. Mount the already noticeable camera on a Ninja... and it should be easily spotted... and your home avoided. As long as you don't have anything "special" to steal that your neighbors don't have. Being a harder target than the neighbors make them the first choice.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.