Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Low Battery Indicator??  (Read 9702 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Low Battery Indicator??
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »

Hello is the DS7000 capable of reporting Low Battery or does it just report when a battery is dead and doesn't report in. Trying to help a friend with his system I recommend it so I want to be sure I give him the correct information. Also where in the instruction manual does it tell you how to listen in after a alarm goes off, I think you can push something after listening and cut the alarm off remotely. Thanks for the help!

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Low Battery Indicator??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »

Also where in the instruction manual does it tell you how to listen in after a alarm goes off, I think you can push something after listening and cut the alarm off remotely. Thanks for the help!

Tom j.
Appearently X10 did not think it important to mention in the manual...or it could be because they don't have a clue.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ds7000-om.pdf
One area of their web site states "1" and another states "0". Take your pick.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

Also where in the instruction manual does it tell you how to listen in after a alarm goes off, I think you can push something after listening and cut the alarm off remotely. Thanks for the help!

Tom j.
Appearently X10 did not think it important to mention in the manual...or it could be because they don't have a clue.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ds7000-om.pdf
One area of their web site states "1" and another states "0". Take your pick.

Thanks that's exactly what I was thinking how could they not include something like this in the manual when they make it such a selling point Geez. This has to be one of the poorest quality manuals I've ever come across. And any idea about the low battery indicator.  ???

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »

Thanks that's exactly what I was thinking how could they not include something like this in the manual when they make it such a selling point Geez. This has to be one of the poorest quality manuals I've ever come across. And any idea about the low battery indicator.  ???
I do not have a DS7000 so am speaking when I should not, maybe an owner will chime in. AFAIK The remote sensors transmit a "heartbeat" regularly (i think every four hours but not sure). If the console does not receive the heartbeat it indicates a problem exists on that zone, which is your que to check the sensor batteries. The battery indicator on the console is for the console battery only.

This system sells for as low as $40, so I guess, even with the poor manual, it is a decent system for the bucks. X10 seems to rely on the Wiki to fill in all the things they left out of the manual...so read this:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Protector_Plus_Wireless_Voice_Dialer_Security_System

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »

Well Smarthome and their Insteon stuff is the same way.
Small single sheet Quick Guide in the box and a link to the whole Full Users Manual in the wiki or older ones a downloaded pdf.  :o

tom j

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »

I do not have a DS7000 so am speaking when I should not, maybe an owner will chime in. AFAIK The remote sensors transmit a "heartbeat" regularly (i think every four hours but not sure). If the console does not receive the heartbeat it indicates a problem exists on that zone, which is your que to check the sensor batteries. The battery indicator on the console is for the console battery only.

This system sells for as low as $40, so I guess, even with the poor manual, it is a decent system for the bucks. X10 seems to rely on the Wiki to fill in all the things they left out of the manual...so read this:

Oh it's DAM decent, I mean it saved my bacon twice when there was an attempted break in. But I just think the manual needs to be better so people that aren't that familiar with the product can use it to it's potential. I'm really not an x10 brasher I've spent well lets say a lot on their products but I just don't understand why they do things the way they do, like for example making the AHP with a 2 inch antenna that has a range of a few inches.   rofl   :)%  >*<

Tom j.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:34:03 PM by tom j »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:30 PM »

Oh it's DAM decent, I mean it saved my bacon twice when there was an attempted break in. But I just think the manual needs to be better so people that aren't that familiar with the product can use it to it's potential.

Yup, I agree.

[rant ON]
There is a huge amount of information in the Wiki(s) that SHOULD be in the manuals. The manual for AHP is a perfect example. A key function of the CM15A is to transceive the RF remotes signals to the powerlines. Does X10 explain this in the manual? (that is retorical). The only way to find out about Transceived House Codes, or other "incedental features" like "Monitored House Codes" is to stumble across them in the Help file.

I guess X10 thinks everybody has internet access, knows about the information, and how to get to it without having to close 47 asinine pop-ups offering a chat with a "knowledgeable Customer Sales/Service Rep".
[rant OFF]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:54:51 PM by dave w »

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »

Hello is the DS7000 capable of reporting Low Battery or does it just report when a battery is dead and doesn't report in. Tom j.

my 2 cents:  the 9v transistor battery lasts about 2 hours if power lost so mostly useless anyway.

I use a 12v 7.2amp-hour gell cell (about 5" cube size) plugged into that 9v transistor plug.  I use a constant voltage charger (cheap recycled wall 12v plug in power supply thru a LED for charge indicator) that puts out 14vdc to keep this gell cell topped off at all times.  One location has no charger and I just remove the gell cell and charge it every 6 months or so. 

This battery runs the DS7000 easily thru any power outages like the 24hour one we just had here in OH with our ice storm.  In addition, this battery goes thru an old house thermostat set to 55 degrees to a sonalert that whistles to trigger the VOX operated transmitter to tell us 1 mile away that that house is getting too cold.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 02:57:21 PM »

I use a 12v 7.2amp-hour gell cell (about 5" cube size) plugged into that 9v transistor plug.  I use a constant voltage charger (cheap recycled wall 12v plug in power supply thru a LED for charge indicator) that puts out 14vdc to keep this gell cell topped off at all times.  One location has no charger and I just remove the gell cell and charge it every 6 months or so. 

This battery runs the DS7000 easily thru any power outages like the 24hour one we just had here in OH with our ice storm.  In addition, this battery goes thru an old house thermostat set to 55 degrees to a sonalert that whistles to trigger the VOX operated transmitter to tell us 1 mile away that that house is getting too cold.
Pretty smart arrangement.

tom j

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »

Oh it's DAM decent, I mean it saved my bacon twice when there was an attempted break in. But I just think the manual needs to be better so people that aren't that familiar with the product can use it to it's potential.

Yup, I agree.

[rant ON]
There is a huge amount of information in the Wiki(s) that SHOULD be in the manuals. The manual for AHP is a perfect example. A key function of the CM15A is to transceive the RF remotes signals to the powerlines. Does X10 explain this in the manual? (that is retorical). The only way to find out about Transceived House Codes, or other "incedental features" like "Monitored House Codes" is to stumble across them in the Help file.

I guess X10 thinks everybody has internet access, knows about the information, and how to get to it without having to close 47 asinine pop-ups offering a chat with a "knowledgeable Customer Sales/Service Rep".
[rant OFF]

YES SIR you got that right I totally agree!!!!  :)%   #:)

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

So am I correct in assuming that it doesn't really detect "LOW Battery" and that it's only reports when the battery is dead and doesn't report in?

Tom j.

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »

My 2 cents worth... the Ds10's I recently bought report in  via a timed heartbeat. AHP will see them and log it if the sensor is configured within the software. So the batteries in the DS10's should be able to be monitored and alarmed when dead via advanced macro? This in addition to being monitored by the security console. I will try to remove a sensor battery today to simulate a dead sensor battery, the manual says it will flash the console sensor light after 4 hours of no heartbeat.
As for the security console... it appears that the low battery indicator only goes on when the battery is shot. We have 99.9% uptime on our power grid so a good  9V duracell will easily ride through. At -30 degrees here this morning, if the power is out long enough to kill the security console battery it would probably be the least of my worries.  :D
One curious thing noticed is the console battery keeps the AC power indicator on even when the ac is unplugged....strange
I am impressed with the unit, at $30 for it and a couple of accessories, it is a bargain. I am using it with the internal siren disabled (small switch added mod )to dial out if the  DS10's sense either a water switch opening or the door sensors triggering. I want to rig up temperature sensing next. I only enable the siren if I am leaving for a vacation. I can be home when it calls my cell in 5 minutes from anywhere in town.
I am looking to figure out if AHP can trigger the unit to dial out on a macro generated event.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »

One curious thing noticed is the console battery keeps the AC power indicator on even when the ac is unplugged....strange
As I recall the forum started seeing questions on this about a year ago. My guess is X10 decided to save a nickel by getting rid of a diode.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »

As for the security console... it appears that the low battery indicator only goes on when the battery is shot.

Nope - after about 1 yr of no external charger, my 7.2ah 12v gel cell fed into the 9v terminal went down to about 6vdc - turned on the low batt lite on ds7000 console.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.