Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Locking The Electrical Panel  (Read 7662 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Locking The Electrical Panel
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »

My electrical panel is outside near the front of the house next to the garage. If someone where to attempt a break in they could shut off the power and that would disable any sort home automation and security protection my home may have.

Is is safe and legal to put a combination lock on the panel??

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Locking The Electrical Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »

Call your electric company, give them the question and suggest a double lock, one for you and one for the company.  They may be OK with it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brandt

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »

Is it safe though? I mean if someone is being shocked.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »

I'm not sure how not having a lock on the pannel will help someone being shocked! ::) :'
Does every one in your area have their pannels outside?
This seems like a strange place to put it to me, But I'm in Canada where every thing is inside! rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brandt

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »

I'm not sure how not having a lock on the pannel will help someone being shocked! ::) :'
Does every one in your area have their pannels outside?
This seems like a strange place to put it to me, But I'm in Canada where every thing is inside! rofl

Well if someone is receiving an electric shock, you're suppose to kill the power right?

I'm in southern California..homes in the neighborhood built in the late 70s. I believe they are all outside.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »

I've never lived in CA.... but isn't that an earthquake thing? I always just assumed that was so the power could be (safely) killed on a collapsed home. Seems to me there was a thread here about using an alarm system with the same sort of power arrangement.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:15 PM »

I'm in southern California..homes in the neighborhood built in the late 70s. I believe they are all outside.

Here too.

Our alarm system has battery backup that will carry it several hours.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brandt

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »

So the proper solution is to not lock your electrical panel, but to have a battery backup for your alarm system?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »

Whether you can lock your panel probably depends on your local regulations.  Back east I was told the fire department pulls the meter to shut off the electricity.  A burglar could do that too - it only takes a wire cutter to release the clamp.

Battery backup is the best way to insure your alarm system works through any outage.  Obviously, X10 will cease to function.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brandt

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »

Well I don't have a DS7000 console, I use a w800usb connected to Heyu running on a Sheevaplug to handle the alarm algorithms.

So if someone pulls the power, I lose my HA server, my internet connectivity (sms emails), and alarms (powerhorns). I'd be dead in the water.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »

So the proper solution is to not lock your electrical panel, but to have a battery backup for your alarm system?

Many years ago (1978?) my first wife was an antique collector. So, I installed an alarm system. It was all hardwired with a battery backup. I was told then... that the pros would just disable the phones. My brother who worked for the phone company confirmed that. He said the phone company would get trouble calls claiming that burglars had "cut the phone lines". But the lines weren't cut. The thieves would just pull the fuses (from the little plastic box on the home) and throw them in the yard.

I think serious alarms (besides the battery backup) now have cellular/mobile phones. I read [or saw on the news] of a local home that was broke into by cutting a hole in the wall using a chain saw. No alarm was triggered. If you have things that attracts the attention of a professional [scum-bucket] burglar... they will take it. That is what insurance, and safety deposit boxes are for.

If your really more concerned about the local troubled kid down the street. Some sensors and cameras may help as a deterrent. And a UPS on your setup could keep it running.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »

It is not only legal as well as advisable to put a lock on the switch.  Please do so and don't give it another thought.  And then address the back up power options.  the autority can always cut your lock if they need to.   ???
M M ElectricMan

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »

Whether you can lock your panel probably depends on your local regulations.  Back east I was told the fire department pulls the meter to shut off the electricity.  A burglar could do that too - it only takes a wire cutter to release the clamp.

Battery backup is the best way to insure your alarm system works through any outage.  Obviously, X10 will cease to function.

Jeff

Most FD's are advised against pulling a meter these days.  Not only is it dangerous when you've been playing in water, but newer meters work off an induced current and no connection is broken when the meter is yanked from the socket.

We have to wait for the electric company these days.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.