Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VA12A and XP Pro Issues  (Read 6895 times)

JGM

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
VA12A and XP Pro Issues
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »

I posted this in the Active Home area but will try here.  I have recently installed an X10 security system based around the DS700 controller augmented with Active Home (most recent version) along with appropriate plugins.  I am running and old 2000 vintage PC with an AMD 950+ Mhz processor/512mb of RAM/two PCI to USB 2.0 cards.  You may laugh but the machine runs XP pro with SP3 well and serves as my telephone via a magic jack and home automation tasks.  All is OK except when I try to connect the VA12A video converter.  It takes the machine to an unstable state and attempted restarts lockup with the bootlog citing one of the VA12A driver files (BD something) unable to load.  I can disconnect the VA12A, reboot and all is well again.  I've tried the reinstall all software method multiple times following the procedure and both old and new driver sets from the download page.  The one thing I have not tried is clearing previous drivers from the X10 hardware folder then redownloading/installing.  This could be a contributor since the re-install looks like it skips any existing files therefore I may have not really replaced the drivers to retest.  Another idea is if I'm conflicting with the magic jack (which is a tigerjet internet phone driver) with the load of any audio subsets.  I am willing to modify the VA12A .inf file if needed to experiment.  I've read the postings and have not found the answer to my problem. Has someone disected the driver files in what they are/doing?  I also have emailed X10 tech support to try and gain help from a 'senior technician'.  Help and Thanks!

dbasberg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: VA12A and XP Pro Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »

For years I have had problems with the x10 video driver.  I have had problems on 5 different PCs and three versions of windows(98,xp,vista).  I still hope someday a decent video driver will become available.  I have seven video cameras from x10 and three pan and tilts.  It would be nice if my investment in x10 cameras paid off some day.  I know some people have got their cameras working but many have problems.  Over the years I have wasted vast amounts of time on the video driver  >*<

Doug

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »

Make sure you're plugging it into a USB 2.0 highspeed port.  I had to add one to my P4 XP machine before I could get my VA12A to work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:04:49 AM »

The VA12A is also known for needing enough +5 volt power. Some ports didn't supply the needed current.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.