Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: need help. IR lighting  (Read 3497 times)

swjtlongdrive

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
need help. IR lighting
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:38:25 AM »

Hello all,  I'm almost finished with my home theater and I am in need of some IR lighting controls.  Here's what i have so please let me know what you think I should buy.  I need 3 dimmer switches in my theater to control 3 seperate light sources.  These are already wired to a 4 gang switch box and are ready to go.  I'd like to be able to set scene's so that the lights will all go to certain levels with the push of one button on my universal remote.  I also have one dimmer in the hallway outside the theater that I would like to be able to control from within the theater with my IR remote.  Any suggestions on what dimmers I need to buy or what system?  thanks in advance.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: need help. IR lighting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »

AFAIK there are no wall switchs that respond directly to IR.

You may want to look at the X10 CM15A with Active Home Pro software and a X10 IR/RF universal remote. Or a USB-UIRT and the software BVC softwaer which interfaces to AHP software. There is a dozen ways to do this. This forum is rich with ideas. Search for "Home Theater" "theater lighting" etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »

Lutron makes IR wall switches and dimmers.

http://www.lutron.com/Products/StandAloneControls/Dimmers-Switches/MaestroIRDimmer/Pages/Overview.aspx

I think you can get them at Home Depot.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »

Lutron makes IR wall switches and dimmers.

http://www.lutron.com/Products/StandAloneControls/Dimmers-Switches/MaestroIRDimmer/Pages/Overview.aspx

I think you can get them at Home Depot.
Oops, sorry for the misdirection, although I doubt the OPs Universal Remote will have stored codes for Lutron.   May work if the OP has a learning remote
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

billcoff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »

I have a Harmony One Universal Remote set up to control an X10 IR543 Mini-Controller, but I find it easier to use a Palm Pad. I control dimming on the Dining Room Chandelier (WS467) and two couch lamps (LM465).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »

.... I'd like to be able to set scene's so that the lights will all go to certain levels with the push of one button on my universal remote.  I also have one dimmer in the hallway outside the theater that I would like to be able to control from within the theater with my IR remote. 

I do pretty much the same thing in my Home Theater. I use an old Logitech-Harmony 628, and I also use a IR to RF device along with X10 switches and modules along with a AHP and the CM15A.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.