Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IR Sensor  (Read 12442 times)

GMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
IR Sensor
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »

I keep think'n about an IR Beam. Got the idea from Garage Door Safety Beam.                                         
With functions like the Motion Sensors? Battery Opp? 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: IR Sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »

I keep think'n about an IR Beam. Got the idea from Garage Door Safety Beam.                                         
With functions like the Motion Sensors? Battery Opp? 

I used one that allows me to determind weather or not a car is in the garage... when the garage door closes. It then turns off (to save electric use). see here:  http://davesdomainonline.com/os/sensing.htm
Home Automation is an always changing technology

GMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »

Thank you Dave!   I love to tinker when I can. When I get an idea I always first hunt around here to discover what
you and others have done and shared.

For the heck of it, I ordered one of those Velleman DIY Kits and a Relay.
I want to experiment using it trigger a Motion Sensor and thus a Macro and or Module.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:54:09 PM by GMAN »

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »

Someday.... I'd like to use the RFID tags and reader(s). I could carry or wear the RFID Tag as would every family member. I like the idea of the homes computer, disarming the alarm and unlocking the entry as I arrive. And then the home automatically locking up and setting the alarm when I leave. The RFID Tags would allow the HA PC to always know who was home and to react accordingly.

The smart (mobile) phone apps that work with the Home Automation Computer and software.... are awesome. I haven't switched to a smart phone yet... but its one project that I drool over.

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »

But RFID does not have whole lot range. If you live in a house bigger than 10 by 10, when you stand in the middle of the home, RFID tag will not be able to generate strong enough signal for the receiver to know you are still home.

I do use RFID for openning the garage door.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:41:16 AM »

But RFID does not have whole lot range.

The little RFID cards that are used on stores entrances and exits at the mall don't. But there is long range RFID.

To the best of my knowledge... there isn't any setups out-of-the-box ready. This is the kind of home automation you have to research, design, test, and implement on your own. There is a little bit of risk with the DIY setups. Not all of mine has worked as well as I hoped. But, creating a custom setup can be very satisfying as well.

luke03

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »

I looked into RFID before, since there was a government project trying to make license plate intergrated with RFID. But after contacted a few RFID manufacture, they all told me no can do -- RFID chip depends on RF signal to be the power for reply, unless you can send in a much higher power RF signal to boost the RFID output, which is dangerous for people stay in the house, it will not have enough power for the processor in RFID to work properly.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »

.... contacted a few RFID manufacture, they all told me no can do -- RFID chip depends on RF signal to be the power for reply,

The RFID [chips] cards that use the sent RF signal for power are called passive RFID.  Active RFID devices use battery power. Of course the prices are still too high, but they could be used to solve special problems. Currently I think they are used mostly for restricted parking (like an automated parking permit). 

Some people have tried using X10 [alarm] door/window sensors in a similar way... to tell if a certain car was in the drive way. My own work with Occupancy Sensing has had limited succcess.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:07:44 AM by Dave_x10_L »

luke03

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

Active RFID devices using battery, so that it will have problem when battery running out.
Think about when you are sitting in the home, active RFID battery out, so that alarm automatically armed thinking you were away from home.  Cops came to the door and kicked it open, since your alarm triggered when you move around.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:40 PM »

It's not a problem. Dave X10 would have replaced the battery the day before.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »

I was thinking of powered RFID Tags to be used with cars. So... maybe use the battery power of the car to power the very low powered RF signal.

RFID tags... like the ones I would have injected under my skin.... or taped to a cell phone or in a purse. Would have to used at entry points... doorways and/or hallways that would only be walked through. Then use software to record and track people. Occupancy Sensing... is one of the more complex levels of HA (Home Automation).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.