Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Possible to set seconds on timers ?  (Read 4035 times)

r00t4rd3d

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Possible to set seconds on timers ?
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »

My Equipment : CM19A, SW31A, and TM751.

I have a water pump that I want to come on for 5 seconds once a week. What is the best method to do this ? In the Timers section I dont see how to set seconds only minutes.

Thanks !

-:)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Possible to set seconds on timers ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »

That's all timers work, minutes, no seconds.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »

I have a water pump that I want to come on for 5 seconds once a week. What is the best method to do this ? In the Timers section I dont see how to set seconds only minutes.
I don't know if this will work, but it takes almost one second for a X10 command to actually transmit. So if you were to send a series of ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON,OFF commands you could get the pump to output an equivalent amount of water.

The Homeseer automation program has a time resolution in the milli seconds, but it is expensive and it does not work with a CM19A. Only a CM15A and a couple of third party powerline interfaces.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »

Why not just create a macro that turns the pump on, delays for 5 seconds, and turns it off?
You could trigger it with a timer as needed.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:03:57 AM »

Why not just create a macro that turns the pump on, delays for 5 seconds, and turns it off?
You could trigger it with a timer as needed.

Yep! That is the solution. But because it is a pump.... maybe a safety of some sort should also be used. I have worked pretty hard to have a clean setup. But still from time to time a light doesn't go off, or I miss a voice message due to a signal collision. Particularly if the user is also using sensors and/or macros that could generate line signals at a home that isn't monitored closely... safety should be considered.

If this is a water pump that failed to shut off.... running continuously for 7 days until it cycled again... that could be pricey. Even assuming the pump doesn't fail before the week ends.... or the well doesn't run dry. Of course... just being "powered" doesn't mean the "normal pump safeties" wouldn't still apply. For a well-water pump to run... low tank pressure would be required.

But I would at least add a second delay.... and a second off. So say the pump comes ON at noon on Mondays. Delays 5 sec and then turns OFF. Delays one minute, then turns OFF again.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:06:27 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:37 PM »

You could also just schedule an "off" command to run a minute or two after the macro does, as an added precaution.
In addition, you could schedule a few extra "off" commands in the macro, spaced a minute or two apart.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.