Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to home automation  (Read 2842 times)

TheNewHobbyist

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to home automation
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »

Hi I had a few questions I'm hoping someone could help me with.

I'm looking to start off with a small installation of X10 hardware/software to control the 3 air conditioning units in my new condo.

My ideal installation is one that turns on/off the air conditioners based on in house temperature AND time of day (so I'm not cooling an empty house while I'm at work). I'd also like to have access to view the status of the system (and if possible the ambient temperature) online.

I believe I've found the correct switches that can handle switching a heavy load from the AC units here:
http://www.x10.com/minisites/x10wirelesshome/modules/x10_appliance_module_am466.html

And I'm assuming I'd also need Active Home Pro to access the system online.

I'm not sure I've found what I need for temperature monitoring.

Am I on the right track here? There seems to be a lot to learn and I'm just jumping in head first here.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:07:37 PM by TheNewHobbyist »

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: New to home automation
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:22:22 AM »

These modules will work on smaller 115 volt A/C units. If your units are 220v then you will need a different module. The AHP software will control to time of day, but you will need software plugins to view remotely etc. There is no way with the standard software and hardware to view house temperature remotely. You could use a DS10a switch with a thermostat to at least know if you are above or below thermosatat setpoint.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.