Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Correct and Update the Documentation  (Read 8140 times)

OldSalt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Correct and Update the Documentation
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »

There are numerous outright "mistakes" in the help files.  - Eliminate them!

Add documentation, and examples for each of the modules.  For Modules  such as the pan/tilt cameras - specify the RF commands used.  Some are not currently available in the macro modules as currently implemented.

Clarify the Flags and their use.  Flags are currently linked to a House Code in reports.  Is this the case or are they independent?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Correct and Update the Documentation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »

Salt,
FWIW
Since 2005, the "Wish List" has been replete with requests for improvements in documentation. My best guess is X10 runs with skeletal staffing and detailed "User Instructions" are low on the priority list.

I think X10 relies heavily on this forum and the X10 Wiki to fill in all the holes.

It is a great suggestion, but you should not hold your breath.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

OldSalt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:58:37 AM »

I'm definately not holding my breath...

The poor documentation is COSTING X10 money in customer support and follow up sales.  Many folks will call in with a problem, requiring staff to answer questions.  The wait times  :' for someone to answer their call will disillusion serveral.  The lack of detailed technical knowledge at the first line of support will alienate more.  The 48 hr+ wait for second tier support will turn away even more.

I've worked in a software / hardware development environment and have seen first hand how a lack of documentation can lead to failure of great products.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »

Yeah, I don't think you would get an argument from anyone on the forum. But this seems to be the X10 model. Sometimes I think their lack of detail in the instructions is planned.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.