Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IwatchMobile Pro Definitive How-To for 3G please!  (Read 16217 times)

captainjerky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IwatchMobile Pro Definitive How-To for 3G please!
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »

Hey all,

I just let X10 sucker me into purchasing Iwatchout Mobile Pro.  It worked as easily as advertised- install, send the e-mail, then I was watching on my Android phone.  The next day, of course, it didn't work; I received nothing but the 500 error from the X10 servers. I run Activehome on a dedicated laptop connected via ethernet cable to my home network.  I searched the forums and now have the camera interface displayed in a small browser window on my desktop pc.  I can also get Myhouseonline to work on my desktop, if it helps to know.  Small victories.
So, I've searched these forums and found tips on using Activephone and getting it to work on my phone over wifi, but I'm putting bits and pieces together here and I'm just not getting the right picture I guess.  I see tutorials on port forwarding, but these seem aimed at getting it to work over wireless or directed at ActivePhone and not IwatchoutMobile Pro.
Can someone please, please, put together a straightforward tutorial on how to access Iwatchout through my cell phone via 3G?  I didn't listen to the little voice in my head that warns me from disturbing a perfectly good running X10 setup, because now I'm crapping away my day trying to get this 'easy set-up' program to work reliably.  I can't show this to my wife until the damn thing works!   :-)
Any help appreciated...
Ryan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: IwatchMobile Pro Definitive How-To for 3G please!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »

Did you look at the wiki information?
Not sure if it would give you any added clues.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/IWatchOut_Mobile_Pro

captainjerky

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »

Yeah, I used the help links, which are exactly what is in the wiki file.  What I don't get is that it worked perfectly yesterday, but today no dice.  I changed nothing at all, even left the computers and cell phone on all night, because I was worried something like, well, THIS, would happen.  It seems most people think very poorly of the X10 server that hosts the IwatchMobile Pro data, as I see a lot of complaints that it's down often.  I need to either figure out the port forwarding work-around or return this, because it's definitely not doing what it's advertised it can do.  The worst part is that I saw how it 'could' work, and am disappointed that I've come so close, but can't cross the finish line. 

Thanks,
Ryan

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »

The default setup with iWatchout Pro is to use X10's reflector servers and that's the problem - they are notoriously unreliable.  I and others on this forum have solved this by configuring our router to forward port 8777 and using the ip address of our system.  You can find your external ip by going to http://www.whatsmyip.org/.  Your resulting url for access would then be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8777/iwatchpro where you replace the xxx's with the ip address you got from whatsmyip.org.

Since rebooting your system may change your external ip address you can set up a free account at dyndns.org or someplace similar which can handle any ip address updates by allowing you to use a name of your chosing instead of the actual ip address such as mylaptop.org:8777/iwatchpro.  See the following thread for info on how to set this up: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22316.0

Since changing to this method of connection I haven't had any issues using either wifi or 3g connections for iWatchMobilePro, ActivePhone, and OnAlertMobile.

HTH,

DeliBaker

captainjerky

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »

Thanks Delibaker, that's what I was desperately looking for! It's still hit or miss, but I suspect it has more to do with my just-replaced router now...

thejackal

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »

that is how I use all there mobile software. external ip and a port forward in my router. Works like a charm. I had also set up my x10 machine with a static IP on my network.  >!

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »

That's the best damn solution I've seen and doubt you can find one better. I've used a dynamic IP addy for years (longer than I care to think) even though I have my own domain, and they work fantastic. But, just like X10, its always dependant upon the actual servers, and that goes for anywhere and any service of any type. It's the internet and it's ran by servers, non-stop, 24-7/365+1, it's what makes the world go round. ;D
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

whiteowl

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »

hello, i have been having a time with iwatchmobilepro,im trying to forward port 8777 on my westell a90-750045 router,i have made ip address of the pc running AHP static,i have a dyndns.org address and an update client installed,but still no luck! I even tried my wan ip:8777/iwatchpro and still nothing,however when asked the base port on router page i was unsure so i just put 8777 for both globle start/globle end,and 8777 base port. also tried http:// with all  the addresse's,and have tried skyfire browser as well as the phone;s original browser,phone is a samsung intercept 2.1 android,and works great with the 3G links and wifi,I just can only access camera;s 2-3 times,then have to go to device manager and stop x10.nets process,and close+open back up AHP,then im good for 2-3 times,then repeat.any help or idea's will be greatly apprecited,and Thank;s in advance

shaniebanannie

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:09:56 AM »

I've tried it all twice in case I messed something up and still iWatchmobile won't work. Also ActivePhone at least shows up but only on wifi not 3g isn't labeled and wont control anything. Everything worked fine for the first few days. Now the only thing that works sometimes is OnAlert. Uh!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:15:16 AM by shaniebanannie »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.